One of my first guitars was a B.C. Stratocaster style beginner guitar. I played it all the time, until I got my Schecter Damien FR. Now all I can do is use it for spare parts or just stare at it. But I REALLY need another guitar. I want to turn my BC into a guitar you would see a Heavy Metal guitarist use. I'm thinking a new pickguard loaded with Seymour Duncan Invaders and a Floyd Rose maybe? If you have any ideas how to make it better, tell me. Peace!
You can call me Crazy.
is it really worth it would be what i'd ask myself. for the cost of upgrades you might be able to just get another guitar that does what you want or at least would be more worthy of upgrading
There's nothing wrong with the Schecter, I love it. I just need another guitar is all.
You can call me Crazy.
CrazyTNTdog 

"Need" or "want". None of us really needs more than a couple of different guitars, but I'm keeping how many I've got to myself.

I'm a compulsive guitar modder, but with the benefit of hindsight I would be thinking more about amps and less about guitars if I was doing it all over again.
What is your amp?

Really pointless sinking money into new pickups if your amp is never going to make good use of them.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Thread was moved to forum: Gear Building & Customizing
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
A loaded pickguard could be a good idea, but as others have said, your amp is going to pull more weight.
Another caveat: matching the number of screws. I believe--someone verify--Fender (and sub brands, like Squier) use 11 screws, and I've also heard 8 screws. It would be a really good move to check that before jumping on a new pick guard. 
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
The amp matters more, as others have said.

But if you're intent on upgrading the guitar, a pickup swap would go a long way to "metalizing" your BC Stratclone
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Just sell it cheap to another new guitar student and buy one that suits you or keep it as wall art.  Your humble beginnings.  Trying to make an awesome shred machine out of a student guitar is just such a huge waste of energy and $$.  We all tried it once, they all turned out crappy, and then we tossed em out and got the guitar we wanted.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
You don't. As others have said its more likely than not going to be a waste of money, starter pack/beginner guitars are cheap, by the time you buy a pick guard and load it with decent pickups you're probably most of the way to a decent used guitar that would better suite your needs. If you add in the cost of a FR bridge and the routing work on your current guitar you are definitely into a decent used guitar that will be better quality.
Sell it or keep it around for parts.

Invest in another guitar that is already better suited for that purpose.

If you are in the U.S. used MIJ Jackson's are readily available for fairly low prices.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Since no one has given you any real advice on what you can do if you really want to keep that guitar, you really just need to focus on two things (assuming all else is functional): 

Pickups: The ones in your cheap ass B.C. probably aren't great
Tuners: What good is anything else in your rig if your guitar is constantly going out of tune?

I recently came across super cheap 2000's Ibanez Destroyer (paid $50), and decided I could put a little bit of effort into it and make it shred. I ended up replacing more than you'll need to, because I blacked out all the hardware (aesthetic purposes only), but the things that made the difference were as follows:

Carvin Lithium bridge pickup: http://www.kieselguitars.com/products/KL12B
Kiesel locking tuners: http://www.kieselguitars.com/products/CLT6B

I went with these because I happen to be in a band with a guy who works for the company, but they're solid parts for the price anyway. There are tons of options out there for high output passive pickups though, like:

DiMarzio D-Activators (fantastic pickups for the price): http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/dimarzio-d-activator-humbucker-set-std-nk-f-sp-brdg
Seymour Duncan Nazgul/Sentient: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/seymour-duncan-nazgul-sentient-humbucker-pickup-set?rNtt=nazgul&index=1

The next thing you need to do is get a solid setup. If you have the know-how to do this yourself, cool (all the info you need is on YouTube). If not, DO NOT take your guitar to the hacks at GC. Take them to a small guitar shop where the guys know what they're doing. These guys can set your neck bow correctly, set the action and the pickups at the right height, and even fix any uneven frets (which is likely on a cheap guitar).

With all that, I took a cheap ass Ibanez that was probably $300 in 2001 from playing/sounding like I paid $50 for it, to now it plays/sounds 90% as good as my $800 Iceman or $900 Schecter:

Total cost to me was about $200, but then again I had a hook up on parts. If you just wanted to replace the pickups and tuners, you could easily do it for that much.
Last edited by ExDementia at Jul 20, 2017,
ExDementia

I will agree that D'Activators are great pickups I have a set that came stock in my Ibanez Xiphos and they sound great.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge