i have a possibility to bring back with me an amp head from the states.
other than the need to use a step down converter from 220V to 110V, will there be any other disadvantages?
any noise and signal issues?
i'm looking mainly for mesa boogie mark 5:25
Depends on the quality of the converter. Check the specs as some amps have the ability to use different currents with an internal switch. Also of course it depends on how clean the electric you are using is.
And it never hurts to send the manufacturer an email inquiry.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
well usually manufacturers will not discuss equipment that's not their's
and i know there are some amps with switches in the power section to switch from 110V to 220V, unfortunately mesa boogie's are fixed on 110V in USA from what i've seen
you have to get a really good quality voltage converter and carry it around with you with the amp forever.
it's really more trouble then it's worth.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by gania13
well usually manufacturers will not discuss equipment that's not their's
and i know there are some amps with switches in the power section to switch from 110V to 220V, unfortunately mesa boogie's are fixed on 110V in USA from what i've seen

They may not get brand specific, but if you told them you needed to run an American amp in Europe, they'd at least tell you what kind of gear you need. They may even surprise you with info like, "our customer service records indicate ________ brand works particularly well/poorly when used with our products". Sometimes, that kind of thing even winds up in user manuals.

They may even direct you to particular online forums where the question has been addressed with reliable discussions.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
American amps can be used in europe with a step down converter to change the voltage from 110-120 to 220-240.  The issue is that American power runs at 60hz while European power runs at 50hz and the power converters don't change the Hz.  This does have a negative impact on tone.  You lose a little volume, low end clarity and punchiness in the top end because the amp never gets the power that it needs to operate at it's full potential.  Exactly how noticeable the loss of power and tone is depends a bit on the amp.  Valve amps are affected more and solid state.  Amps with better filtering in the power supply also perform better in Europe than amps with minimal filtering.  The good news is a lot of modern amps use international transformers so if you know what you are doing there is a good chance that you can rewire the transformer so that it'll work in Europe and it will not suffer any loss of volume or tone and no power converter is needed.

I should also point out that I'm an American that has been living in Britain for about 12 years.  About half of my amplifiers (I own more than I care to count) are American so this is something I deal with a lot.  
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Jul 22, 2017,