:::UPDATE::::: I pulled the trigger and bought a peavey 6505+ 112 Combo used over the weekend for $399 and traded in my Vox vt20+

Hello all,

So I've been looking to upgrade from my VOX VT20+. It's cleans are amazing, but for metal not so much. I've seen people poke fun at the Line 6 amps, but I've seen a lot of video with people really chugging these combo amps well. I was thinking about bringing my guitar to a store to try the amp out. 

How do you feel about this amp for metal? The only reason I'm considering is I've found a used one for $280 and that seems like a good price considering it's operational.  
"It means a lot to me that my darkness can connect with your darkness and make it OK." - James Hetfield

Guitar: Ibanez S370
Seymour Duncan Pick ups
SH-4 JB (Neck)
Quarter Pound (Strat)
SH-6 Distortion (Bridge)

Amp:
Peavey 6505 Mini Head
w/Peavey 112 Speaker cab (Celestion Greenback)

Pedals:
Boss NS-2
Boss DS-1
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Last edited by Phantumgrey at Jul 24, 2017,
Older Line 6 amps are never my first choice. Look for a Peavey Vypyr or VIP series
monwobobbo They also have a used Peavey 6505 plus 1x12 60w for $399. I was considering that as well. Thoughts? 
"It means a lot to me that my darkness can connect with your darkness and make it OK." - James Hetfield

Seymour Duncan Pick ups
SH-4 JB (Neck)
Quarter Pound (Strat)
SH-6 Distortion (Bridge)

Amp:
Peavey 6505 Mini Head

Pedals:
Boss NS-2
Boss DS-1
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
If anything I'll go test it. 

Seymour Duncan Pick ups
SH-4 JB (Neck)
Quarter Pound (Strat)
SH-6 Distortion (Bridge)

Amp:
Peavey 6505 Mini Head

Pedals:
Boss NS-2
Boss DS-1
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
The Spiders are pretty lousy. The 6505+ is a hallmark of metal. There are, of course, other options, but there is nothing wrong with that one if you are set on onw of those two.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
dementiacaptain The 6505 is @ $399 used. Is there anything in the range you would recommend that I should also entertain? 

Seymour Duncan Pick ups
SH-4 JB (Neck)
Quarter Pound (Strat)
SH-6 Distortion (Bridge)

Amp:
Peavey 6505 Mini Head

Pedals:
Boss NS-2
Boss DS-1
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Are you just interested in metal tones or are there other genres you play as well?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Are you just interested in metal tones or are there other genres you play as well?

Most of what I play is metal. (Metallica, Megadeth) but from time to time I will play some Zep or Alice in Chains.

My main focus is playing rhythm guitar and riffs. I love riffs. I'm not too into lead and solos, but every once in a while I'll play some.

Seymour Duncan Pick ups
SH-4 JB (Neck)
Quarter Pound (Strat)
SH-6 Distortion (Bridge)

Amp:
Peavey 6505 Mini Head

Pedals:
Boss NS-2
Boss DS-1
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
dementiacaptain   I pulled the trigger and bought a peavey 6505+ 112 Combo used over the weekend for $399 and traded in my Vox vt20+ 

Seymour Duncan Pick ups
SH-4 JB (Neck)
Quarter Pound (Strat)
SH-6 Distortion (Bridge)

Amp:
Peavey 6505 Mini Head

Pedals:
Boss NS-2
Boss DS-1
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Nice, I think you will be happy with it. It's a solid amp.
dementiacaptain I played with it for 3 hours yesterday. The sound is incredible! It's got that metal chug i was chasing on my vox amp. Now because it's used I just want to do a tube change soon. I'm just researching the best place to buy tube from online. I see JJ are highly recommended. It's my first tube amp so I'm learning now. 

Seymour Duncan Pick ups
SH-4 JB (Neck)
Quarter Pound (Strat)
SH-6 Distortion (Bridge)

Amp:
Peavey 6505 Mini Head

Pedals:
Boss NS-2
Boss DS-1
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Yeah JJ is a favorite of mine. They can be a bit dark in the preamp in terms of tone, but for the 6505+ that's not bad, as it has a more high midrange focused sound.
dementiacaptain Sounds good. I also see the forums likes eurotubes . com so I'll probably buy from there. I don't have any indication that the tubes are going, but from doing research a lot of people recommend changing the tubes in a used amp. Also my peavey logo doesn't light up so I'll probably fix that while I'm in there. I don't know if it was a good call but I also paid $39 for the 1 year protection plan from GC when I bought it. I figured a used amp that could be a safe call. 

Seymour Duncan Pick ups
SH-4 JB (Neck)
Quarter Pound (Strat)
SH-6 Distortion (Bridge)

Amp:
Peavey 6505 Mini Head

Pedals:
Boss NS-2
Boss DS-1
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
The logo is usually just the connecter coming loose, happens anytime you take the chassis out of the shell. Eurotubes is a fine vendor.
dementiacaptain Awesome Thanks!

Seymour Duncan Pick ups
SH-4 JB (Neck)
Quarter Pound (Strat)
SH-6 Distortion (Bridge)

Amp:
Peavey 6505 Mini Head

Pedals:
Boss NS-2
Boss DS-1
Fulltone OCD Overdrive