Im thibking about putting an alembic stratoblaster in my strats jack. I would probably make one since they are very simple. I have a hot rails in the bridge but i want the boost to take me from a clean amp to a breakup just by flicking the switch.

Before i do this i just want to know if im correct on my thinking here and if anyone else has any experience with on board effects specifically boosts
I have quite a few guitars with built-in boosts of one kind or another. Some boost overall volume (usually about 15 dB), some boost a specific frequency (15-20 dB). Active preamps will often allow you to boost/cut treble, bass, and sometimes mids as wider-range tone controls. I have a sweepable active mids boost (16 dB on one guitar (think of it as a parked wah), and a couple of treble boosts on another. Almost everything requires a 9V battery to be installed somewhere on the guitar.

I don't know that the amount of boost most onboard units provide will be enough to get you into breakup territory -- depends on the amp and the boost.
dspellman
I think i could fit it all in the output jack cavity so no need to worry about having to modify anything. Thanks for the advice
Quote by CENSORED.
dspellman
I think i could fit it all in the output jack cavity so no need to worry about having to modify anything. Thanks for the advice

Mostly it can. I have one guitar that has a 9V in the control cavity and another in a battery box installed in a rout in the back of the guitar. So two 9V on the same guitar. If you're just puttering in your bedroom and a 9V goes out, you've got plenty of time to take out a screwdriver and replace it. If you're playing out somewhere, maybe not. So you should learn how quickly your particular FX's 9V depletes itself under whatever your playing habits are and plan accordingly.
dspellman
So if the battery does go out, would my guitar still be able to play through the amp just without the effect or would i have to change the battery?