Poll Options
View poll results: Is it ok
Yes
35 66%
No
18 34%
Voters: 53.
Page 1 of 4
Is it okay to joke about? Sure everyone laughs when someone's like "haha gonzaw's a turbo autist" but maybe check your neurotypical privilege?
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Everything is okay to joke about but it should be done in an appropriate manner and the joke should not be taken too far

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
*autistic screeching.jpg*
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
if someone's prejudiced against a particular race  theyre a racist

if someone's prejudiced against a particular sex theyre a sexist

if you're prejudiced against autistic people, are you an autist?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Jul 20, 2017,
Depends. I don't think its right to call somebody in particular an autist in bad taste even on forums, even if they're clearly saying something stupid or really weird, just call them an "full blown idiot" instead lol. I wouldn't joke about it IRL either, especially if I was around someone who im sure falls in the aspergers / autistic spectrum. Lots of high functioning autistic people are pretty intelligent in their own way, and by judging a lot of the posts on this forum, I think it's safe to say there's a couple in here.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

No holds barred my friend. 
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
As someone with 2 immediate family members with the spergs I can say that it's totally ok
Check out my band Disturbed
oh i misread the poll

i thought it was "is it okay to have autism"

so i voted no

sorry, spacker moment from me
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

I'd make fun of autistic people but two wrongs don't make a right
new question who's the most autistic UGer it's definitely gonzaw lmao
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
You rang?
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
I think it's used more as an insult for socially awkward people, rather than full-blown autists.
It's the same as when you used to call your friends retarded in middle school, but you wouldn't call actual retards retarded.
I play TF2 so I get called autistic on a daily basis.
Quote by ErikLensherr
new question who's the most autistic UGer it's definitely gonzaw lmao

or his #usa thread interlocutor
Quote by Rossenrot
I'd make fun of autistic people but two wrongs don't make a right

Apparently, they do
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
hey idk about this shitting on gonzaw hes really fixated on funk and really liberal but he seems cool

although i do wonder if he has any musical taste beyond parliament-funkadelic and the endless reiterations thereof 
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by Primus2112
hey idk about this shitting on gonzaw hes really fixated on funk and really liberal but he seems cool

although i do wonder if he has any musical taste beyond parliament-funkadelic and the endless reiterations thereof 

You don't need better taste if you like P-Funk.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
i didnt say better i said beyond 

like more than p-funk
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
I honestly don't think there is a single thing that isn't acceptable to joke about 

inb4 some autistic pc gone made SJW tumblrite disagrees
I have nothing important to say
I joke about it with myself when I'm being especially inflexible or sensitive about something. There is only one other person I would share these jokes with because we know we both get the nuance of it and I feel comfortable talking about a part of my personality that I'm not too fond of with them.

Then I go work with people who actually have autism and duh I wouldn't share those jokes with them, but it also prevents me from sharing it with anyone else because a lot of these people are hurting and I don't want to perpetuate anything that might add to that.
cat
you don't call autistic people autists. it's bad taste. you call your friends autists when they're acting autistic
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by JackSaints
I honestly don't think there is a single thing that isn't acceptable to joke about 

inb4 some autistic pc gone made SJW tumblrite disagrees

GG92 doesn't post anymore 😕
Quote by jakesmellspoo
i don't really call people autistic over every little thing like some morons here.

but i do liken my brother to Rain Man because he does some very similar (and hilarious) shit.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
I don't normally call this out, but I find it strange how people who have posted here say they won't insult autistic people directly but will throw the insult to people who aren't. As if using the term to insult someone in that context is somehow not degrading to those who actually suffer it.

Whether or not it's cool is too context sensitive to make generalisations in that way.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
As with any other potentially offensive joke it depends on context and audience.
It didn't take long to realise
The safest place was not her arms, but her eyes
Where she can't see you
For her gaze, it blisters;
Grey skin to cinders
I feel like almost nothing is "okay" to joke about, but people are going to do it anyway because everyone appreciates shock value, even if they won't admit it.

I mean I make insensitive jokes daily, I won't stop now
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
who the hell says stuff like turbo autist jeez your such an autist erik
Anyways, regarding the topic. I'm ok with using it as a joke, if the context is appropriate. I'm not really ok with using it as a direct insult (I even prefer the use "retarded", since it's more vague and open to interpretation and not as specific as "autistic"), at least not if the identity of being autistic is used as the insult (and not just anything related to it).

If the context allows it, I think using it as a joke is fine. Humour is all about context and subtext, so yeah, please provide those first before even discussing if joking about it is wrong or not.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I don't normally call this out, but I find it strange how people who have posted here say they won't insult autistic people directly but will throw the insult to people who aren't. As if using the term to insult someone in that context is somehow not degrading to those who actually suffer it.

Whether or not it's cool is too context sensitive to make generalisations in that way.

In the mind of someone using that insult that way it makes perfect sense. The term "autistic" (or "retarded", etc) conjures certain behaviors into your mind, behaviors you find odd. If someone that's not autistic is annoying you or you get angry at him, and he shows some of those behaviors, you attribute those behaviors to him in a very negative way and show it by calling him "autistic". In a way, you are insulting the behavior, not the identity of being autistic.
When someone is actually autistic, they obviously show those behaviors, but you know they are not being performed by a choice, so you have less reasons to insult the behavior itself. You still don't insult the identity.
Of course, for many people the above gets confusing and some do insult the identity, and conflate the identity with the behaviors, and do all shitty discriminatory stuff.

So to recap, you have some behaviors, which you find negative if they have an underlying motivation or reason to them, but don't find them that negative if those reasons change. The term "autistic" used as an insult refers to such behaviors in such manner.

Like I said before, using the term "autistic" still seems weird to me, because the behaviors of someone autistic don't really seem to me to be behaviors you'd find on someone else (someone non-autistic) that would have a reason for you to feel very negative about. For instance, if someone is acting shy, or being anti-social, or something else, I can't really think of situations where you can legitimately use "autistic" as an insult for them. Other terms, like "retarded" or the like, I feel have more situations that can be applied (since the behaviors attached to them are more overt and more likely to happen to a regular person in a way you find negative).

Also, yeah the joke is funny but I'm not autistic. Sorry to spoil the fun
Last edited by gonzaw at Jul 20, 2017,
Quote by Primus2112

I love me some arab music (Fakroun and Al-Mounser ftw!). I also started to really like spanish romantic songs recently (Montaner, Cheyanne, etc). I obviously also like cumbia and reggaeton.

Anyways, you can't go wrong with funk, it's impossible to have "endless reiterations" of anything in funk. You can have P-Funk on one end, Fakroun's Sahranin on another, Living Color on another, Jamiroquai on another, Herbie Hancock on another, and Manu Dibango on another. You can't possibly get more diverse music than that if you tried

(also disco ftw too)
Quote by gonzaw
I love me some arab music (Fakroun and Al-Mounser ftw!). I also started to really like spanish romantic songs recently (Montaner, Cheyanne, etc). I obviously also like cumbia and reggaeton.

Anyways, you can't go wrong with funk, it's impossible to have "endless reiterations" of anything in funk. You can have P-Funk on one end, Fakroun's Sahranin on another, Living Color on another, Jamiroquai on another, Herbie Hancock on another, and Manu Dibango on another. You can't possibly get more diverse music than that if you tried

(also disco ftw too)

Get onto some Yasmine Hamdan if you haven't already.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Your new avi is really throwing me off.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Speaking as someone who makes his living working with kids with autism and other special needs, I really hate "autistic" jokes, for a few reasons:
1. They spread misconceptions about what autism is
2. They stigmatize people with autism
3. They're invariably weak, shitty jokes
Death to Ovation haters!
Quote by kalypto
who the hell says stuff like turbo autist
I prefer naturally aspirated autists.

hmu JustRooster zgr0826

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Page 1 of 4