I remember a few years ago I was a dumb ass and got a DUI.  Of course, I lost my privilege to drive for a year and sold a bunch of gear to finance the sudden court fees.  One thing I learned about myself during the process was I actually had higher levels of productivity when my time was constrained.  For example - because I HAD to catch a particular bus, I worked better to ensure I didn't have to stay late, which enabled me to get home earlier and capitalize on my time.  One could say I got better because I couldn't drink  , but this process really introduced a new mode of thinking for me.

Now, I'm highly productive when my schedule is full.  Like the more I have to do (the more I tell myself I have to do) then the better I actually do the individual things.  It runs contrary to my previous way of thinking, where I considered quantity to be a diminishing factor over the quality of the tasks.

Is this something anyone can relate to?
"I definitely don’t write all my music in a blackout, like I used to, although I did come up with some good stuff in a blackout."
-Matt Fucking Pike
If I have plenty of time to do something that I don't care much about, I'll procrastinate like a motherfucker.

Though too much work and too little time tends to lead to poor quality, so...
I definitely work better under pressure but it still sucks.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I tend to procrastinate boring work I'm not very motivated about, especially college course work. I'll start a huge paper a week, sometimes even a couple days before it's due, doesn't matter how much is on my schedule. I'll actually write a better paper with time constraints, because the pressure makes me focus on the task at hand.

When it comes to fun activities like producing music, I like having as much time as possible, because I'm ready to work hard and deliver the best project I can deliver with whatever equipment I have. I'm always productive in that aspect no matter how many things I have going on, because I enjoy it so much and I'm willing to work for long hours without breaks.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I definitely work better under pressure but it still sucks.

same boat, but to elaborate on the suck, what pisses me off is I'm conscious of it...and if I could only take mental control over it, I could work productively without the necessity of loading my schedule.  That's what sucks for me, is the psychological unwillingness to beat it.

to relate it to music, it's only on my busiest days I'll feel motivated to to play or jam with the guys.  I'm doing nothing, I'll barely pick up a guitar.  If I'm running from 4:30 am to 7 or 8 pm, I'll prioritize guitar time before going to bed.  Maybe it's something about feeling like I earned it...or possibly feeling the necessity to do something for "me" versus someone else.
"I definitely don’t write all my music in a blackout, like I used to, although I did come up with some good stuff in a blackout."
-Matt Fucking Pike
Quote by k.lainad
I tend to procrastinate boring work I'm not very motivated about, especially college course work. I'll start a huge paper a week, sometimes even a couple days before it's due, doesn't matter how much is on my schedule. I'll actually write a better paper with time constraints, because the pressure makes me focus on the task at hand.

same when I was in college.  For me I found it was the lack of overthinking.  When necessity and survival and self-sufficiency all came in to play, I could oust the critic in my head.  It's probably similar for a lot of people.  What interests me is developing the skills to tap into that state of mind without actually being in panic mode or under the pressure.  Many of the people I know or have known who I interpret as being very successful were able to tap into that.  It enabled them to be highly productive, but not anxiety-ridden productive, ya know.  
-Matt Fucking Pike
regiment and scheduling are very good for me.

if i have no obligations i tend to slowly drift into really bad habits.

sleeping all day, doing nothing, no motivation, lots of procrastination "i'm gonna turn this life around.... tomorrow" depression, etc

the job i started last month is in the middle of a big transition so the workload is all over the place. beginning of the week it's impossible to keep up, but by Wed or Thurs there's not much to do.

so, today i took it upon myself to do some of the work, that's usually done by two people, alone. it takes a little longer, but i'm at least accomplishing something and not just doing busy work.

a certain irritating, loudmouth coworker felt the need to comment on it to someone else as if i couldn't hear her. fuck off with that shit. at least i'm actually doing something productive instead of bullshit so it looks like i'm working.

the day just drags on when i have to do stuff like that.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Interestingly, neither deadlines nor different amounts of work change my productivity. It depends more on my personal inclination to do work that day. Getting out of bed has physically been a struggle for the last week or so and I have legitimate reasons to take a couple of days off, yet I've been taking very few breaks throughout the day and I'm sleeping less. I know life's gonna suck when it goes the other way and I don't feel like doing anything so I try to get as much done as I can when I feel like working.

Now that I think about it though, that is a time constraint I'm imposing on myself so maybe it does contribute to the amount of work I do.
cat