Hi guys I have been playing guitar for about 20 years and have extensive knowledge on amps and guitar. I am new to this forum and have a question on the Bugera 1960 infinium. I have been tube rollin in this baby for quite sometime now and cannot seem to get the sound I am looking for exactly. I like my power tubes FAT BOTTLE 6CA7 EH but what are some good preamp tubes to use in this amp for a clean gain sound not fuzzy or buzzy. I have a mix of NOS and current production tubes so ideas in both would be greatly helpful thank you.
If you've been rolling a mix of NOS and new preamp tubes and none of them sound right, chances are you need to mod the amp or just sell it for something else. It's pretty rare that an amp is great with only one specific tube brand. That's probably even more true if you're trying to dial out fuzz or buzz, which is often more inherent to the amp design or use IMO. 
Quote by Roc8995
If you've been rolling a mix of NOS and new preamp tubes and none of them sound right, chances are you need to mod the amp or just sell it for something else. It's pretty rare that an amp is great with only one specific tube brand. That's probably even more true if you're trying to dial out fuzz or buzz, which is often more inherent to the amp design or use IMO. 

I'd have to agree.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Hey plexi,
Can you give us an idea of the tubes you have tried? This would help with a recommendation.
audiohak Well I think what the problem is that I am trying to find a less gainy setup and the ones I have been rollin are high gain even if plugged intot he low gain input.Its a 4 input amp jus tlike the older plexi amps. I have a tube combo in it now that seems to have killed some of the gain fuzz I have a JJ 803-S Long plate in v-1/A JJ ECC83-S in v-2/and I swapped out a 12ax7 to a 12AT7 NOS Sylvania in the PI an it really cleared it up.But Im still looking for other recommendations from all of you that have plexi type amps current production and NOS that sound good with a clear type of gain lol.
Ha yeah, funny enough I have a 1960 but im trying to do the opposite, more gain.

I put an RCA blackplate in v1 and 2 Mullard reissues in v2 and v3. Gave it fantastic vintage breakup. I also put some GT el34s in and it really took the brittle edge off the sound.

One thing I have found with this amp, the speaker and can make a pretty big difference. I tried a Weber open back can and it took a lot of the punch away. But using an egnater rebel 20 closed back sounds great.

I'm also using a Rivera rock crusher to bring the volume down while I set everything to 11... ๐Ÿ˜‰
Last edited by audiohak at Jul 23, 2017,
audiohak I have a NOS RCA Black plate and two Mullard RI myself I could try . For power tubes Im using EH 6CA7 FAT BOTTLES they sound great nice thumpy low end and nice highs. I have enough midrange if I need it. I use a Marshall 1960B cab and that is loaded with two Celestion 75's and two Emincece CV-75's so that sounds great just trying tube ideas I love the amp it sounds really nice and has that great Plexi vib going on. I use an Alex's attenuator
Last edited by pleximan1014 at Jul 23, 2017,
Quote by pleximan1014
audiohak I have a NOS RCA Black plate and two Mullard RI myself I could try . For power tubes Im using EH 6CA7 FAT BOTTLES they sound great nice thumpy low end and nice highs. I have enough midrange if I need it. I use a Marshall 1960B cab and that is loaded with two Celestion 75's and two Emincece CV-75's so that sounds great just trying tube ideas I love the amp it sounds really nice and has that great Plexi vib going on.

Agreed. I can get such a huge range of sounds out of this amp. Hendrix to Zepp. Love dialing it back to get a Wind cries Mary light breakup.

And I really like those 6AC7s. I put some in my trirec and love them there.

If you haven't tried it, use the 12at7 in v1 for less gain.
I actually got a recommendation to run High grade 9th gen chinese preamp tubes in it and it sounds fantastic nice clear no fizz gain.