I find myself moving away from regular humbuckers these days. I was thinking of putting some TV Jones pickups in my HSH RG. The bridge and neck pickups together is probably the sound I want most. But I do currently use positions 2-4 and I don't want to lose them. Another pet peeve of mine is the 5-way switch. I don't think the volume change between single-coil to humbucker is practical. I was thinking of changing it to a 3-way switch for the sake of simplicity. But now the question is how do I go about utilizing the middle pickup? I was thinking about changing the volume pot to a concentric pot where one of the rings controls the volume of just the middle pickup. What other options should I look into?
Thread was moved to forum: Gear Building & Customizing
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
There ARE singlecoil pickups out there you could match to the HBs you have, or the ones you are planning on buying. So you probably don't need to change the selector.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I prefer 3-ways. And it doesn't solve the issue of getting the neck and bridge sound.
My two cents, TV Jones makes great pickups. I have a Powertron Plus and it's awesome.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge