Well, i am thinking about buying a new guitar. I don't have much money right now, so i was thinkin about getting a les paul special 2 - Slash Signature. I read some reviews and they were "alright", but i am affraid the guitar wont be good enough for me. I was a resistent and strong wood, and i heard that mahogany wood is the best. This guitar is made in mahogany but i heard the sound isnt so good, so i got the question. If i buy it and change the pickup to a good one, will it sound good enough like a Gibson ? If no, what does the Gibson have that make her sound best ?
Gibson has the Gibson name on the headstock.  For a little more money, you might want to look for a used PRS SE 245.  
What REALLY matters in a guitar sound is that you're happy with it.
The key contributers to this are the strings, pickups, any effects you use and the amplifier. Everything else - what it's made of, what shape it is, the name on the headstock - are fairly insignificant.

After that, buying a guitar is like buying anything else. You set your budget, research the market to see what's available and then start whittling down your options according to your preferences. Are you hung up on a praticular brand? Are you happy to buy second hand? And the absolute best thing you can do is get out into the real world and start playing some things to see what you like. People will be more than happy to tell you this, that or the other are good are bad, but at the end of the day it's your guitar and you're the one that has to live with it. If you really, really want a Les Paul Special 2 Slash Signature model, you can afford one and it plays nice and sounds nice to you then get one. Any guitar that makes you want to play it is good.
What really matters for me: sustain and stability. Stability in both tuning stability, and that when you pluck a note, it sustains clearly, without any warble.

Edit: epiphone is a roulette. You may get a great one for cheap, or a very crappy one. Some epi's really surprised me while some were utter garbage
Last edited by ArturPr at Jul 22, 2017,
In terms of sound the biggest factors are pickups, setup, tuners, pots, and then tonewood in that order.  Pickups are what sense the string vibration and turn it into sound so that is an obvious no 1 factor.  The setup is what makes it so your guitar plays in tune whether you are playing on the 1st fret or the 12th fret.  If your guitar isn't setup properly not only does it make it difficult to play but it makes you sound out of tune which also makes you sound bad.  Tuners are important because cheap tuners don't keep the guitar in tune.  Pot are significantly less important but a bad set of pots can make the guitar sound like you are listening to it through a wool blanket.  It'll lose some of it's liveliness.   Tonewood is something that a lot of people don't think matters at all.  I believe it does matter but not for the reason people think it does.  You don't really hear the tonewood through the amp.  Tonewood robs the string of energy and filter off tone and different tonewoods filter off different tones.  There is no "best" tonewood and you can make a good sounding electric guitar out of just about anything.

Low end Gibson guitars tend to have poor pickups and setups and only marginal quality tuners and other electrics.  If you go the low end gibson rout you will want new pickups, and a setup.  I'd advise pulling the pots and replacing them with some bourns pots when you change the pickups.  The tuners are good enough to keep.

A lot of the better Gibson knock offs have better setups, pickups, and tuners. 
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Jul 22, 2017,
the special 2s are really bad in terms of playability...
but in terms of sound..if you can't really answer the question for yourself then just get the guitar you will enjoy looking at and playing.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by CorduroyEW
In terms of sound the biggest factors are pickups, setup, tuners, pots, and then tonewood in that order.  Pickups are what sense the string vibration and turn it into sound so that is an obvious no 1 factor.  The setup is what makes it so your guitar plays in tune whether you are playing on the 1st fret or the 12th fret.  If your guitar isn't setup properly not only does it make it difficult to play but it makes you sound out of tune which also makes you sound bad.  Tuners are important because cheap tuners don't keep the guitar in tune.  Pot are significantly less important but a bad set of pots can make the guitar sound like you are listening to it through a wool blanket.  It'll lose some of it's liveliness.   Tonewood is something that a lot of people don't think matters at all.  I believe it does matter but not for the reason people think it does.  You don't really hear the tonewood through the amp.  Tonewood robs the string of energy and filter off tone and different tonewoods filter off different tones.  There is no "best" tonewood and you can make a good sounding electric guitar out of just about anything.

Low end Gibson guitars tend to have poor pickups and setups and only marginal quality tuners and other electrics.  If you go the low end gibson rout you will want new pickups, and a setup.  I'd advise pulling the pots and replacing them with some bourns pots when you change the pickups.  The tuners are good enough to keep.

A lot of the better Gibson knock offs have better setups, pickups, and tuners. 

what about hardware? trems tend to sound different from hardtails, for example.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Time to go play some guitars and find something you like.  Epi, ESP, and PRS SE can be surprisingly good.

PROTIP:  If you are thinking of a guitar purchase that you plan to immediately change the pickups, just buy a better guitar in the first place.  The PUs will be better, better hardware, and probably better wood.  Aftermarket PUs won't fix a cheap guitar 99% of the time.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
My view is pretty far to one end of the opinion spectrum. - An electric guitar is just a lump of wood that hold pickups and other stuff.  I recently set up one of those very cheap Epi LP Jrs with a bolt-on neck, and was really impressed with it - good fit, finish and neck feel. I didn't much like the pickup, too warm, but that is easily fixed.

FWIW, my favourite for tone is a mahogany Gibson LP Special with P100s, but it weighs too much at 9 lb, so it never gets played, and overall I prefer my Oz$65 hock shop special, with is probably made of paulownia and only weighs 5 1/2 lb.
Quote by Cajundaddy
Time to go play some guitars and find something you like.  Epi, ESP, and PRS SE can be surprisingly good.

PROTIP:  If you are thinking of a guitar purchase that you plan to immediately change the pickups, just buy a better guitar in the first place.  The PUs will be better, better hardware, and probably better wood.  Aftermarket PUs won't fix a cheap guitar 99% of the time.

I mean at the ops budget sure.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
My Epiphone came with a ton of problems, high frets, string buzz, shitty nut, crappy electronics... and it was one of the mid priced models $899.. Even the higher priced Gibsons come that way from what I hear. Just go out and play a couple different guitars in your price range. Don't think just because it has Slash's name or that it's made by Gibson / Epiphone that it'll be any good. That Slash guitar is just a gimmick. 
Quote by Dave_Mc
what about hardware? trems tend to sound different from hardtails, for example.

Yeah.  The bridge has a very noticeable effect on both tone and sustain.  I would also say that body shape has a noticeable effect.  I could probably think of other things too but I was trying to keep things a bit simple so I just listed what I see as the top 5.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
Yeah.  The bridge has a very noticeable effect on both tone and sustain.  I would also say that body shape has a noticeable effect.  I could probably think of other things too but I was trying to keep things a bit simple so I just listed what I see as the top 5.

yeah
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have never needed to change pickups on a guitar generally I like to play the guitar in its original state , I wouldn't just go buy reviews and what people say   I go by the sound and how I feel it plays like a connection  ,  Its hard to say if changing the pickups will make you like the sound more or better I would say buy a guitar that you like the sound of  and try it out first if possible . 
Quote by jedigovnaUG
My Epiphone came with a ton of problems, high frets, string buzz, shitty nut, crappy electronics... and it was one of the mid priced models $899.. Even the higher priced Gibsons come that way from what I hear. Just go out and play a couple different guitars in your price range. Don't think just because it has Slash's name or that it's made by Gibson / Epiphone that it'll be any good. That Slash guitar is just a gimmick. 

I got an Epiphone SG Standard for $500 on my 9th birthday. It's been 6 years and I still have no such problems. What gives?
^ you got lucky and he got unlucky?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ Yep.

Look it up, lots of people have had issues with Epiphones and Gibsons. Their quality is hit or miss. Do you have any videos or sound clips of you playing it btw?ToonoobtoGibson  I'd love to hear your Epiphone
ozzy010764    lotta variables man...     wat kind of music u playin   is the first one   AND  how many years u been playing   AND  wat r u use to playin  *guitar wise*  ?
ozzy010764      b easiest BYFAR  just to call me  or  lets chat in a box bout it                       only way i can really MAKE DAMN SURE  i tell u to UR best benefit....ALL else/   half ass      if that__           Gary   [   903 733  6849   }   btw, been playin 30 years    all  genres'   10 years  theory   yada yada   k'       callme,if i can helpya'
Quote by jedigovnaUG
^ Yep.

Look it up, lots of people have had issues with Epiphones and Gibsons. Their quality is hit or miss. Do you have any videos or sound clips of you playing it btw?ToonoobtoGibson  I'd love to hear your Epiphone

I don't have anything on that point, and if I tried I'd have to do it on a shitty telephone camera, because I am, to put it simply, still under parental supervision and can't simply go out and buy sound equipment. Sorry.

But on another note: how is it to be economically free- to have an income and not much debt? Can you more or less buy good equipment (i.e. 5150 amps and $3000 PRS guitars or somethin' like that) easily? I mean, I'd really like to get at least one or two top-notch instruments after I get a job, so I gotta have expectations, right?
Quote by HammerHead73
ozzy010764      b easiest BYFAR  just to call me  or  lets chat in a box bout it                       only way i can really MAKE DAMN SURE  i tell u to UR best benefit....ALL else/   half ass      if that__           Gary   [   903 733  6849   }   btw, been playin 30 years    all  genres'   10 years  theory   yada yada   k'       callme,if i can helpya'

Sorry to say this, but... either my computer can't register some of the characters you input into your text, or you're trying to use one of those 3d keyboards for the first time.
ToonoobtoGibson Lol ok, no problem. I record stuff on my phone camera at times. Nothing wrong with that.  

and to answer your question, it's nice to have income. and i'm very fortunate to not have any debt, although I do owe my mom about $2k for something unrelated to guitars. I COULD buy expensive gear, pay it off eventually but I really don't feel it's necessary . I'm more of a bedroom guitarist / hobbyist , and I sometimes record on my PC and laptop. I don't feel I need a $3000 guitar for many reasons. First i'd probably ruin it with pick scratches, dings and other things that i'd feel bad about it. and second a super expensive guitar isn't going to make me sound any better than my guitar worth $900 . If you suck hard as a player, buying the best guitar in the world wont make a huge of a difference. Plus why buy 1 guitar for $3000 when you can buy many for that? It's more fun . Nowadays you can get amazing sounding amp sims for practically for free so I don't really have a desire to own crazy expensive tube amps either. I own one at the moment a Bugera Trirec, and sold of my others.

I'm cheap when it comes to buying my instruments, I buy used and tune them up. I've bought an Ibanez loaded with 81/85 for $70, Schecter Avenger 7 string for $300 loaded with Nazgul / Sentient pickups. Bugera Trirec for $400, Peavey Triple X for $225, 2 -212 Carvin Cabs for $140., Epiphone Black Beauty for $200, Schecter Hellraiser with 81/89 for $200.  I shop around locally on Craigslist and apps like Offerup, if I don't like the instrument i'll sell it. Most of the time for profit. In the end you can buy what you'd like, I just don't believe in buying extremely high end guitars and amps. 
I say buy a used mid range Guitar you feel comfortable playing, then when you get better & begin to realize the limitations of the crappy pickups, upgrade them. I like the sound of Les Pauls, but they're uncomfortable as hell for me. So I play Ibanez. Not expensive ones, just comfortable.
I say buy a used mid range Guitar you feel comfortable playing, then when you get better & begin to realize the limitations of the crappy pickups, upgrade them. I like the sound of Les Pauls, but they're uncomfortable as hell for me. So I play Ibanez. Not expensive ones, just comfortable.jedigovnaUG I bought an Epiphone SG400 for next to nothing. Hated it. Neck heavy as hell, frets were uneven as hell. Fixed the fret issues & sold it. I'll never buy an Epiphone again. I've got Chinese Ibanez GIOs that are built better than that thing was.
snaggleyoda  I've never owned a Gibson, but i've heard some arrive just as bad as Epiphones. The one I had had really bad frets with a couple of dead notes. It sounded great, but I couldn't deal with the hassle of it so I sold it. I just bought an Ibanez S470 yesterday for $70, even though the sustain and tone isn't AS good as the Epiphone, it's still very nice sounding and it plays way better than the Epiphone did.
ToonoobtoGibson      yeah,  its a piece of a prior post;on the subject matter of sore guitar fingers   i wrote....   somehow,the server took just a piece ofit and put it in that post______no clue man...and,  also deleted the rest of my post...I nvr  rewrote the post...some1 made a comment that this site suked n was  old  so,  i said watevR   n   4gotit'__
Last edited by HammerHead73 at Sep 28, 2017,
jedigovnaUG  mhm, agreed....guitar processor and pickups  is the deal,  n'  ofcourse   action....u will get the rest in time,  IF'  u work ur ass off      i wasnt asked,  however;in response to the other guys ?  , I  wld* advise a couple years anyway of music theory    modes    phrasing  etc etc    n'  ofcourse  the appropriate apps  for   each mode  {genre}    also,  i found it  VERY useful  to transpose some classical piano music....onto ur guitar      coupled with some jazz knowledge of jazz  cords   u will advance fast            use  tab   n  master  RIGHT HAND FIRST   GL  "

G.L.R.
Last edited by HammerHead73 at Sep 28, 2017,
Quote by ozzy010764
Well, i am thinking about buying a new guitar. I don't have much money right now, so i was thinkin about getting a les paul special 2 - Slash Signature. I read some reviews and they were "alright", but i am affraid the guitar wont be good enough for me. I was a resistent and strong wood, and i heard that mahogany wood is the best. This guitar is made in mahogany but i heard the sound isnt so good, so i got the question. If i buy it and change the pickup to a good one, will it sound good enough like a Gibson ? If no, what does the Gibson have that make her sound best ?

One factor that influence the sound of the guitar is the wood. Quality tonewoods are at the top of the list for superior sounding piece and yes mahogany is one of them. If the guitar is not sounding good for you, changing the pickup isn't a good idea. Along with tonewoods, it is not just the pickups that matter;there are also electronics. This will cost you more money at the end. Check for pickup quality before buying that thing.