Which do you think would be the better option for me going forward?
A. Put new parts (tuners, knobs, pickups) on a cheap starter guitar to improve it (the parts would cost more than the guitar did originally)
B. Get a new guitar in the $800-1000 range
Would a guitar in that price range have good enough equipment on it that I wouldn't feel the need to replace it down the road?
Thanks for your input
$800-$1000 should get you a guitar that is "good to go" in stock form if you can find something with the spec's you like. Me, I would get something used in that price range. What did you have in mind?
Quote by origionalgmf
A. Put new parts (tuners, knobs, pickups) on a cheap starter guitar to improve it (the parts would cost more than the guitar did originally)
Would a guitar in that price range have good enough equipment on it that I wouldn't feel the need to replace it down the road?
Thanks for your input

If you have that kind of budget get a new guitar. Take some time to really think about what you want. If you go used you'll do even better
Depends how much you like, and are used to, the cheap guitar.

If it is one you have learned on and can play it really well and it is set up well - and not a REALLY CHEAP one then go on an change the pick-ups etc, if you are competent to do this.

Otherwise, get a new one - which can be so tricky deciding what to have.
PSimonR 

I agree, it depends on how much you like the cheap one. My favourite electric is a modded Oz$65 hock shop clearance sale special. 

The other side of this is that I have never yet had an electric that I didn't want to mod in some way, regardless of price. I most definitely don't believe that "more"or "new"is better.

If I was buying one in your price range, I would be looking at used, not new. - But I would be looking first at my amp situation - cheap guitar, good amp, good, good guitar, cheap amp, bad.
Quote by N8dagreat3
i say do both. 

Agreed.

I've got nice guitars and then I have a cheap ass one that I made nice with solid hardware, locking tuners, good pickups, and a good setup.

Turns out I play my cheap ass guitar just as much as my most expensive guitar, while another that cost 4x what my cheap-o Ibanez hasn't been played in months.

And if I were to leave on tour tomorrow, guess which one I'd bring.
Last edited by ExDementia at Jul 22, 2017,
Quote by ExDementia
Agreed.

I've got nice guitars and then I have a cheap ass one that I made nice with solid hardware, locking tuners, good pickups, and a good setup.

Turns out I play my cheap ass guitar just as much as my most expensive guitar, while another that cost 4x what my cheap-o Ibanez hasn't been played in months.

And if I were to leave on tour tomorrow, guess which one I'd bring.

im the same, i have an old squier from when they sold them with amps back in the 2000's . Completely redid it all for about $150 and im in love with it now. Play it just as much as my 1k+ guitars. 
Quote by origionalgmf
Thanks for your input

Once you've got a really solid guitar that you don't need to replace down the road, THEN you can launch the fuckwithage on cheap guitars. If you have the budget, get a serious instrument.
Quote by dspellman
Once you've got a really solid guitar that you don't need to replace down the road, THEN you can launch the fuckwithage on cheap guitars. If you have the budget, get a serious instrument.

Lots of good points in here, but I agree with this the most.

Once you own a guitar that is well made in all or most aspects, you'll be better able to judge whether your old cheapie is actually worth attempting to upgrade, and which upgrades are most needed/suited to it.

One still have my first 2 electrics: one's a cheapie, one's quite pricey. I still play the latter one quite a bit. The other, not so much. And over the years, I have bought many guitars between them in value.

But because I have all those other guitars, I know that all my cheapie really needs is better pickups. It holds tune with a death grip; there are no dead spots or warping; the frets don't have sharp ends.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by origionalgmf
Thanks for your input

I would suggest to get a well selected second hand guitar at the price range of your $800-1000.
Why? Because you will get a much better guitar that is "second hand" for this money then a new one (IF it is well selected!). So you can get a guitar that is  somewhat around 1500$ if you would buy it new for around 1000$ second hand. If you want to have a great sound and you don't care so much about buying a new one i would go with that.
There are tones of really good guitars out there that you can get for a very fair prize
dspellman

I've got very mixed feelings about that, and I mean that literally, not as an implied disagreement with your opinion. The question in my mind is how much more you really need to discriminate at the cheap end of the range than higher up the scale. For example, I personally would be a lot less happy with an expensive guitar with vintage stagger strat pickups than I would with one with cheap ceramic flat poles. I suppose that in either case, cheap or expensive, you have to know what to look for, and that takes experience.

My biggest concern in this type of argument is that "more" might be mistakenly equated with "better", at the very best it is only a question of probabilities. - And there as the question of how much you should spend on the amp compared to the guitar.
Last edited by Tony Done at Jul 23, 2017,
Quote by Tony Done
dspellman

I've got very mixed feelings about that, and I mean that literally, not as an implied disagreement with your opinion. The question in my mind is how much more you really need to discriminate at the cheap end of the range than higher up the scale. For example, I personally would be a lot less happy with an expensive guitar with vintage stagger strat pickups  than I would with one with cheap ceramic flat poles. I suppose that in either case, cheap or expensive, you have to know what to look for, and that takes experience.

My biggest concern in this type of argument is that "more" might be mistakenly equated with "better", at the very best it is only a question of probabilities. - And there as the question of how much you should spend on the amp compared to the guitar.

Exactly! Well you have to try some guitars until you will find something that really satisfy you. I would suggest that you go to a guitarshop (if there is one nearby) and just try some different guitars and play them. Maybe invest 1 or 2 weeks and go there regularly and try them over and over again (ideally through the same AMP to have a better comparison)
I know that sounds tedious to go there more then 1 time but trust me it is worth the time to find a guitar that REALLY works perfect for you.
Once you found something that you really like you can do the same with an AMP.
Quote by Tony Done
dspellman

I've got very mixed feelings about that, and I mean that literally, not as an implied disagreement with your opinion. The question in my mind is how much more you really need to discriminate at the cheap end of the range than higher up the scale. For example, I personally would be a lot less happy with an expensive guitar with vintage stagger strat pickups than I would with one with cheap ceramic flat poles. I suppose that in either case, cheap or expensive, you have to know what to look for, and that takes experience.

Agreed. I think there are minimums -- a floor, above which you've got a good, solid guitar. It's not a monetary floor, though I think at some point you'll want to understand what some of the high priced spread really brings to the party, and that's the "experience" you mention. I was lucky in that I learned a lot about guitars from the guitar players in my bands (I was a keyboard player) and from working in a music store before I ever actually bought my first guitar.

As with cars, the cheap end of the spectrum these days offers a *lot* more capability than some of the high end did 20 years ago. And it's possible to hotrod the low end stuff to do some pretty amazing things. But you want to know enough to start with a pretty solid base and to know what, in the high priced spread, you're really aiming for.
Quote by dspellman
Agreed. I think there are minimums -- a floor, above which you've got a good, solid guitar. It's not a monetary floor, though I think at some point you'll want to understand what some of the high priced spread really brings to the party, and that's the "experience" you mention. I was lucky in that I learned a lot about guitars from the guitar players in my bands (I was a keyboard player) and from working in a music store before I ever actually bought my first guitar.

As with cars, the cheap end of the spectrum these days offers a *lot* more capability than some of the high end did 20 years ago. And it's possible to hotrod the low end stuff to do some pretty amazing things. But you want to know enough to start with a pretty solid base and to know what, in the high priced spread, you're really aiming for.

agree. modding less expensive (we'll avoid the word cheap for this discussion) is fine and often worth doing. having said that it won't necessarily bring it up to a higher end guitars capabilities in terms of feel. both of my back up guitars are on the inexpensive side but both play well and sound good stock. i think this is kind of important when considering whether to mod or not. a "good" guitar can likely be made "better" but crap will likely not benifit as much if at all. neither of my main guitars are all that expensive however they are good quality and good buys for the price. it takes some time and experience to be really able to make those determinations. sometimes you have to think outside the box as well. my #1 strat isn't my most expensive (89 Strat Plus Deluxe) but rather a MIM (granted it's modded). 
Thank you everyone for the insight. 
I like the idea of buying second hand, but I don't have the knowledge yet to know if what I'm looking at is right for me, and I'm picky about having a wide, flat neck with plenty of string action. So, buying online new or used is kind of daunting at the moment. I think I would need to go the route of going to a store and picking one out, granted a store of decent size is going to be 2-2.5 hours away in KC. And it would be a good idea to have a solid guitar first, before trying to mod my cheap starter guitar in case I screw it up. Tuners don't look too bad, but pick ups and knobs look like they can be tedious. 
So for now I'll keep learning on my cheap Jackson and in year after I graduate I can look at a better guitar. 
Quote by origionalgmf
Thank you everyone for the insight. 
I like the idea of buying second hand, but I don't have the knowledge yet to know if what I'm looking at is right for me, and I'm picky about having a wide, flat neck with plenty of string action. So, buying online new or used is kind of daunting at the moment. I think I would need to go the route of going to a store and picking one out, granted a store of decent size is going to be 2-2.5 hours away in KC. And it would be a good idea to have a solid guitar first, before trying to mod my cheap starter guitar in case I screw it up. Tuners don't look too bad, but pick ups and knobs look like they can be tedious. 
So for now I'll keep learning on my cheap Jackson and in year after I graduate I can look at a better guitar. 

You are very welcome! That sounds like a reasonable plan!
Good luck! I am sure you will find something that is perfect for you over the years - don't hurry
origionalgmf

You're 2-2.5 hours from KC? As in Kansas City, KS?

You live in Manhattan or thereabouts?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Try looking for used guitars in craigslist or the app called letgo. I was looking for an Ibanez and found an S5470 in really good shape for $500 . I'm happy with that
Personally I'd look I to getting a used version of a $800-$1000 guitar which can likely be found for anywhere from $300-$500 depending on model and condition then take the rest and upgrade the one you have.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

I don't think you indicated nor did anyone ask, but the primary determining factor to all your questions / decisions is whether you are performing yet. If not, you can learn with the bare minimum without upgrades or expense. Once you are out performing you will need better gear (but by then you should have gained enough understanding of your requirements to make well informed decisions).
Quote by reverb66
I'm pretty sure the Bible requires that you play through a tube amp in Texas.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
origionalgmf

You're 2-2.5 hours from KC? As in Kansas City, KS?

You live in Manhattan or thereabouts?

I need a punch line for this:

I have a Thai friend from LA who married a Croatian girl from Manhattan (Kansas).

What would their baby be?

[Punchline}: ???? (and I'm not allowed to say why I need this)

One of the dangers of forums like this is that they tend to move folks toward NOT being happy with a stock guitar that plays well (regardless of cost). Changing something doesn't necessarily make it better.
A cheap guitar through a crappy amp will sound like crap. A expensive guitar through a crappy amp will also sound like crap. If the guitar is acceptable to play a good amp will be a far greater improvement in overall tone then a new guitar.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by dspellman
I need a punch line for this:

I have a Thai friend from LA who married a Croatian girl from Manhattan (Kansas).

What would their baby be?

[Punchline}: ???? (and I'm not allowed to say why I need this)

One of the dangers of forums like this is that they tend to move folks toward NOT being happy with a stock guitar that plays well (regardless of cost). Changing something doesn't necessarily make it better.

1) "'MURICAN!"

2) "Made in America with foreign sourced parts"

Quote by Evilnine
Personally I'd look I to getting a used version of a $800-$1000 guitar which can likely be found for anywhere from $300-$500 depending on model and condition then take the rest and upgrade the one you have.

That is what I would do on a budget.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
There is a fantastic second hand market out there. You can get something really special if you look hard enough.