Poll: Which company would you prefer to build your custom sevenstring guitar ?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which company would you prefer to build your custom sevenstring guitar ?
Jackson
0 0%
ESP
0 0%
Schecter
1 17%
Ibanez
0 0%
Dean
0 0%
Others (please specify)
5 83%
Voters: 6.
Let's assume you just won a competition and a leading electric guitar manufacturer offers you the chance to have your own custom shop guitar built for you entirely free. The only matter in which you are not offered a choice is the number of strings. You won a competition for a custom SEVENSTRING guitar.

Please justify your point of view below...
None of those mentioned in the poll. Well, maybe ESP (but not the LTD division). Definitely not Dean, probably not Jackson.

First choices would be Carvin and/or Strandberg. Their headless 7-strings and the option to have a multi-scale win the day. Maybe Suhr, maybe Mayones.
The "leading electric guitar manufacturers" are by and large timid and tentative and on occasion even clueless when it comes to sevens and particularly when it comes to multi-scale. One thing I've noticed is that a LOT of the extended scale guitars with wider necks and standard headstocks coming from the "leaders" are neck heavy as hell.

And if you don't require a "leading" builder, before any of the ones mentioned in the poll, I'd probably have Rondo Music do an Agile Custom; they have a huge amount of experience with longer-scale 7, 8 9, 10 string guitars, as well as fan-fret versions (and they're slowly moving into headless guitars as well).

FWIW, my newest 7-string is an Agile AL-727, which is a standard 7 with a 27" scale, 24 frets, jumbo frets, 14" radius, ebony fretboard.
But honestly, If I were doing this tomorrow, I'd be looking at a headless Strandberg or Carvin multiscale.
Last edited by dspellman at Jul 23, 2017,
There are so many builders out there making killer 7+ stringers. Besides the ones dspellman mentioned, there's Bowes, Wes Lambe, Rick Toone...

At one point, I could rattle off a dozen, but I gave up on owning one. 6 strings is probably enough for me unless I do something like a standard 12-string.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Skervesen mayones waghorn xen rick toone strandberg
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by Ippon

Standard scale and a headstock.

I'd honestly choose Fender. You might shake your head and stop reading at this point, but hear me out ^^

I'd love to play a 7-string one day, but I think most guitars from the companies in the poll are rather ugly. Most people have different taste, I assume, but what I love are flat-top guitars with solid car colours (or sunburst).

So if I could have a company build me a seven-string, I'd get Fender to build me a 7-string Stratocaster, without tremolo. Telecaster knobs, HSH configuration, on-off switch for the middle single coil plus a three-way selector for the two humbuckers. Three-colour sunburst, and a Telecaster-bridge-like pickup for the middle position. Three volume knobs and no tone one. And a pickguard, for Pete's sake. One-layer white.

Do I get a prize for the weirdest dream guitar in this thread? xD I'm serious though, this is my dream guitar.

P.S: And, for what it's worth, standard dot inlays and one-piece maple neck.
Last edited by HashtagMC at Jul 24, 2017,
HashtagMC

Unless you're a celeb, you'd have more luck with a small lutherie than Fender for getting a guitar with those specs. Just sayin'.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
HashtagMC

Unless you're a celeb, you'd have more luck with a small lutherie than Fender for getting a guitar with those specs.  Just sayin'.

I know But "small lutherie" seemed like no match for big name companies like the ones in the poll, so I thought I'd go with Fender. Should've said "anybody who can and would build what's pretty much a 7-string Strat with weird hardware" instead.
Quote by Ippon
It's 26.5" scale. The 080s is fan fret.
Quote by Ippon
It's 26.5" scale. The 080s is fan fret.

But it's one scale innit. I've heard the 70s will be released soon though. Maybe 10 years after that we'll get a headless Aristides.