So I've been practicing alternate picking for a while now and while I am improving, when moving from the high strings down to the low strings I often find myself missing the low strings and this has been the biggest obstacle I've faced with alternate picking. I don't know if it's the way I'm holding my guitar or pick or something to do with my wrist but it's been hindering me quite a bit. Any help I get would definitely be appreciated.
Make sure you check out some of his other videos on his youtube channel because it's full of valuable  information.  Literally no one else talked about this stuff before he came along 3 years ago with the release of his Cracking the Code documentary.  He helped me improve a ton after basically a decade long slump.  

;feature=youtu.be&list=PLQXEjMNYjt2xBu99q1O9SVN4Eq0mDv50C

In the Cracking the Code documentary (episodes 8-11), he mainly  covers Yngwie Malmsteen's and Eric Jonsons' style of downward pickslanting, which follows a set a rules in order to maintain a strict downward slant.  Then he goes into Micheal Angelo Batio's two way pick slanting in the final episode.   Aside from the documentary,  I thought the  the Steve Morse, Strunz and Farah, Martin Miller, Carl Miner, Albert Lee, and Marshall Harrison interviews were especially worth watching.  
Last edited by Phallic Tractor at Jul 24, 2017,
Phallic Tractor Yes, I've watched all of them, a little way back now.  I'm just practicing on acoustic for now, as it's harder to get right.  Some days, it just "happens" ... others I have to focus a lot more.  Good fun though (in short bursts), especially as I haven't been able to attempt any vaguely speedy stuff for a long long time.
Quote by jerrykramskoy
Phallic Tractor I found troy grady's advice very helpful ... my picking ability has always been way behind my fretting hand (partly because I far prefer legato, and swing-picked sounds).  But the slight change of hand angle suggested by Troy has fixed most of the remaining picking problems.

I've looked into Grady's stuff as well, and found it pretty useful.

Even more than specific techniques, what I've found most helpful is being deliberate and mindful. You can find the exact motions that work for you if you just sit down and take the time to really think about what you're doing. Being that I already have over 20 years of experience picking without any big issues, I don't feel the need to adopt an entirely new approach, but being able to take a different and intentional approach for fast picking has resulted in rapid improvement.

But I'm also not sure that slant picking is going to help as much with accuracy when it comes to moving across multiple strings. Pick and angle and such are important when moving to adjacent strings because there's so little time/distance to make the adjustment. When you're going across several strings, though, that's not as much of an issue, and in itself wouldn't cause you to miss the string completely.

This sounds to me like a larger scale accuracy issue rather than finer points of technique. I'd say it's probably caused by tension, which is itself probably a symptom of excessive speed. If your wrist is too tense, your elbow is the next place that bends and it can't aim for shit. If your hand is planted in any way you'll have to move past that to get ideal technique.

Go slowly, without a metronome and keep your wrist limber. Put your hand on the bridge (NOT palm muting) and allow it to move up and down as you move from string to string. That's your "plant". Go from the low E to the A, E to D, E to G, etc. Just get used to the feel of whatever specific motion allows you to hit all the strings accurately. When you can do it with some consistency, start slow metronome exercises. Always keep your wrist relaxed.
Last edited by cdgraves at Jul 25, 2017,
cdgraves Thanks, Calvin.  I don't feel tension when playing or practicing ... but I have two main problems.  The one that affects me pickingy-wise is that my forearm sticks just enough to the guitar body to cause very slightly jerky motion.  The only way I've found to address that is a very light glove with the fingers and thumb cut out.  The difference is ridiculous (accuracy).  A much bigger issue is physical injury to both hands (accident), which stopped me playing entirely for several years, and I'm finally starting to feel like I'm coming out that now (and doing a little technique work).  Just before the injuries, I was trying Tom Hess's thumb muting, and after 3 weeks (and glove) or extremely slow playing, I then got up to around 260 bpm (1/16ths), which felt effortless.  (I have had virtuoso level technique in the past).  But that was just an experiment... I far prefer melodic playing, with the odd spurts of speed (or none).  I lost interest in technique for technique-sake around 20 years ago, and became much more interested in developing musicality (still am).  I still keep digging into rhythm (i.e note placement, duration, and silence), for lead and melody.

I do rest on the bridge (guitar-depending).  I'm finding it's the slight ajustment to "palm" angle to the strings that is really helping (as per TroyG).