Hi, I've been playing guitar for a couple years now and I am 14. I just bought a Gibson Les Paul Traditional and I want a nice tube amp to go along with it. Right now I have a Line 6 Amplifi and it really isn't doing it for me, it feels very electronic and I don't like the distortion on it. I like everything from rock to metal and I don't mind if the amp is a combo or a stack. I would like to be able to get a versatile amp that could get Marshall distortion and nice clean tones. I work every day, but don't want to pay more than $2,000, any suggestions?
Last edited by gav8222 at Jul 24, 2017,
used Mesa Roadster combo or head and cab - fender clean to face melting scream. Cheaper alternatives would be the Peavey JSX or XXXii or Carvin V3/V3M. For something in the middle a used Mesa Single Recto or Rectoverb (50w) combo would work, but not as versatile as the Roadster.
The main difference between the two is that the Roadster runs 4 6L6 tubes and can be switched to run 4 EL34. The Road King runs 4 6L6 and 2 EL34 power tubes and allows you to assign which channels use which tubes, so a channel can run 2 6L6 or 2 EL34 or 4 6L6 or 2 6L6 AND two EL34 tubes at the same time. If that isn't needed then the Roadster is cheaper.
You might like this:

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Fryette pitbull cl/ul or earlier things already mentioned. marks, recs, etc.

What about a soldano hot rod?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
May want to throw Carvin in the mix.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Yep, the V3, V3M and Vai Legacy 3 are all good options from Carvin's current production. The discontinued X-100b can sometimes be stolen online for under $500.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

It seems like Mesa's are a popular choice on other threads like this, plus I'm really liking the Triple Crown . I think I'm between the Mark V, Roadster/King, and the Triple Crown. The Triple sounds awesome, but I'll keep researching to make sure. I'm still open to any other suggestions.
dannyalcatraz Thanks for suggesting this, think I could get something pretty close to Metallica tones? These amps sound awesome.
Last edited by gav8222 at Jul 24, 2017,
Honestly, I'm not really a tone-chaser. I know you can get metal out of those amps, but I couldn't really narrow it down to a particular band's sound.

The TC-50 is awesome. I have that and a Mark 5:25 and that's awesome too. Might actually sell the 5:25 since I have another amp on preorder (Peavey Invective...probably also worth a look for you ).
Guitars
- Strandberg OS6, Strandberg CL7, Gibson LP Studio, S570DXQM (2), RG7421, Mayer Strat

Amps
- Peavey Invective, Mesa TC-50, Vypyr 60
Quote by gav8222
dannyalcatraz Thanks for suggesting this, think I could get something pretty close to Metallica tones? These amps sound awesome.

Yes you can get close to Metallica tones with the Mesas.

Edit: oops. Just realized that question was t about the Mesas.
Guitars
- Strandberg OS6, Strandberg CL7, Gibson LP Studio, S570DXQM (2), RG7421, Mayer Strat

Amps
gav8222 2000 is very nice budget. Are you in the States? Europe etc?
If you're in the States then I would also suggest the Mesa. If you're in Europe, maybe a Diezel or a Victory. Depending where you live will effect what bang you can get for your buck.
Hooper drives the boat chief...
jackmiddlemiss I'm in the states, and my local guitar store said they can order a Mesa for me. Which Mesa would you suggest?
Last edited by gav8222 at Jul 25, 2017,
guitarsngear

Plus 1 for the Mesa Roadster combo I love mine it is a very versatile amp sparkly Fender cleans to brutal high gain or does it all. Every since I bought the Mess my 6505+ 120w head sits covered in my jam room.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Jul 25, 2017,
I wish I had $2000 of disposable income to spend on an amp when I was 14... And that was when I was working my ass off.

If you want a Mesa then the Triple Crown is an absolute no-brainer.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Check out the Victory Kraken - this thing cleans up nicely and is an absolute monster for Gain. It has an american style gain channel and a british one. It's under your budget which means you have some extra cash for pedals  

[url="(Invalid video video code);t=746s];t=746s
Hooper drives the boat chief...
gav8222 Don't bother with Blackstar, everything I've heard from them is bland, unless it is the Artisan, which is a Marshall JCM800 made in China. For their prices you could get a better deal with Mesa IMO.

I'd suggest Mark V, if you don't need too much volume the 35 watt version is loud enough and a bit cheaper. Get that with a 2x12 from Mesa and start jammin'

If you're OK to go cheaper, you can try Marshall DSL40C and maybe upgrade speaker, or Marshall JTM head or combo. That's kind of a classic.
You could get these for say around $800 and supplement with effects to make it more your thing.
diabolical I think I'll go with a Mesa, I really like the triple crown, I just wish I could find a comparison of the Mark V and it.
The TC is Mesa's new baby. There probably aren't a lot of demoers out there with access to both, yet.

diabolical I like Rhcp, Metallica, Led Zepplin, ACDC, Guns n Roses and a bunch of other bands. Which amp do you think would be better for metal and rock?
Again, based on all of what you've said so far, the Triple Crown would be excellent. It's a bit Marshallish with the EL34s, but with an American twist (a nice twist in this case). It's insanely versatile which is why I bought one. It can cover all the bands you've listed just fine and sounds very good with anything from jazz to metal. And you can swap to 6L6s or 6V6s to change it up a bit if you want.

The Mark 5:25 (I have that too) can cover all the same ground and also does so quite well. It's a different flavor than the TC-50 but seriously it can also do anything from jazz to metal. You'd almost certainly be happy with either.

In terms of comparison of features, I prefer the TC-50 because:

1) It has 3 channels. I love the Fat mode and the Crunch mode on the 5:25 but they're on the same channel. I also love channel 2, I just wish the amp was 3 channels (the big boy 90W Mark V can do this, but is way more expensive and far more complex to dial in).

2) The TC-50 is MIDI capable. Definitely comes in handy for me.

3) Easy Tube swapping.

One advantage the Mark 5:25 has is the 5-band EQ. However that's easily handled by adding an EQ pedal to the TC-50's loop. I use a Fractal FX8 in 4CM so I can add EQ (and any other effects) easily.

Both are stellar amps. The TC-50 is my preference.

Damn...think I just talked myself into listing my 5:25 for sale.
Guitars

Amps
Deadpool_25 Thank you. I really wanted to hear something from someone who owns both, I think the triple crown is what I'm going to go with.
Can i? i have 2 friedman, great amp, a modified pt 20 who really kick ass and a small box. They both are very good but... i had the occasion to try a reeves 78 and that is the best amp i ever tried, love at first feel. it's 2000$ without effect loop or 2300 with. That amp sounds awesome from blues to heavy. Here a couple of videos, it's not so popular but.. try if you can find one!

;
Has anyone ever had or tried out the Victory V30 or V130? If so, what is your opinion?