Whatever you want

The Tele's long been associated with country so there's that. You could do a lot worse than, say, Chet Atkins or Albert Lee.

All kinds of rock have been done on Telecasters. Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top is a big Telecaster guy, likewise John Frusciante of the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

This is my favourite Tele album, if it helps:

Depends what you're into and depends on your skill level.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Jul 24, 2017,
Tomb Of The Mutilated.

Seriously though, play whatever you like. I have a tendency to go Rolling Stones happy when I play mine, but it's not like I only play that on it.
Like the man says, country, rock, blues, jazz, funk, metal, reggae...telecasters of some kind or another have been used by players in virtually every genre. Even classical adaptations:

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Punk and doom.  But that's because I play punk and doom. 

such a rad guitar.  
"I definitely don’t write all my music in a blackout, like I used to, although I did come up with some good stuff in a blackout."
-Matt Fucking Pike
pretty much any music that doesn't require high distortion (with discernible notes, anyway) will sound amazing on a good tele
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Teles are versatile. It's mostly just a body style, and you see it with all manner of pickups that sound nothing alike. If you have the classic hot bridge and mellow neck lipstick-style pickups you'd probably want to stay on the lower half of the gain dial, but if you have humbuckers there's no reason to treat it differently than Les Paul.

The biggest distinction in the Tele from other guitars is the neck radius. It's noticeably more round than a typical Strat, LP, or anything with a "fast" neck. If you're used to the flatter neck radius, you may find the Tele a little uncomfortable at first, but you'll get used to any guitar you play regularly.
Quote by Hail
pretty much any music that doesn't require high distortion (with discernible notes, anyway) will sound amazing on a good tele

i do brutal death metal on mine thank you very much
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
i do brutal death metal on mine thank you very much

i said with discernible notes

the tin man gurgling bees does not discernible notes make
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
i said with discernible notes

the tin man gurgling bees does not discernible notes make

you're just mad because you have the world's ugliest telecaster
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
you're just mad because you have the world's ugliest telecaster

the world's prettiest stratocaster*
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Here is your first Tele lesson.  After you have it mastered we can move on to more advanced technique:

"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by electricPenguin
What should be the first genre/songs/albums to play when you get you telecaster? 

Whatever is your favorite genre/song/album that you also want to learn

Why did you even get a tele if you don't know what you want to play?
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by Kevätuhri

Why did you even get a tele if you don't know what you want to play?

a tele-tale sign of a premature purchase
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail

I don't need to use Tele-pathy to know you Tele-graphed that pun.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by Hail

You should be happy that I don't have rights to ban people.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by cdgraves
mellow neck lipstick-style pickups
The Tele neck is a bog-standard common-or-garden singlecoil with a cover; it's got nothing to do with lipstick pickups. They aren't constructed the same way, they don't sound the same and the Tele neck isn't even shaped like a lipstick tube. Probably you yourself know this, and ordinarily I prefer not to be pedantic about terms but I hear people not knowing there's a difference between Tele neck pickups and lipsticks all the time because of the use of the term "lipstick" for the Tele neck, so I think the distinction is worth drawing explicitly.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
I don't need to use Tele-pathy to know you Tele-graphed that pun.
I think someone needs to Tele you to stop.

Telecaster? I hardly know her!

More importantly, my two cents on the gain thing, as someone who spends most of his time playing Telecasters with singlecoils - it's not really that Telecasters sound bad with high gain; in fact they can get some pretty great tones. The two big things holding them back from being well-suited to that are the amount of hum you get with traditional singlecoils, which can get pretty loud when you turn up the gain, and the relatively little sustain in the upper ranges of the fretboard compared to other designs, which I think is partly due to construction and partly due to the pickups again (it's not like it prevents the guitar being used for high-gain sounds, but you generally can't achieve quite the same singing extended bends you could with a Les Paul or something). There are other reasons they wouldn't be my first pick for djent or shred or whatever, but those are the main things in terms of sound. As in all cases, you can mitigate these aspects to an extent, most easily with pickup swaps, but the consequence is, as always, that you no longer get the sound the model is famous for.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Jul 25, 2017,
Remember Jimmy Page played a Tele on both his Yardbirds recordings and the whole first Led Zep album. Jeff Beck played an Esquire (early Tele) all through his Yardbird days as did Eric Clapton.. Tele's are very adaptable to any style. 

Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.

Quote by Kevätuhri
You should be happy that I don't have rights to ban people.

that would be real pun-ishment
play well

wolf
Quote by Guitaraxe
Play some Roy Buchanan !

I am sure many players burned their guitars after seeing Roy do his Tele-Magic...one of the best..sad he is gone...
play well

wolf
Quote by wolflen
that would be real pun-ishment

That was tele--ble.

Quote by Drapte
This 

Julian is such a phenom.  A one of a kind player.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY