I'm looking at buying a Fender strat, and it looks 100% flawless to me - I'm admittedly not a Fender expert - but I'm worried because I've checked the guy's youtube channel and he did own in 2012 a fake one.

If someone would be so good as to be willing to look at the pictures and give me their opinion please pm me, or reply to this thread and I'll PM you with the pictures and more details. I would appreciate it massively. I won't post more details here to prevent where the item is being sold being found, which I hope is understandable if not agreeable.

Thanks!
Last edited by dragonzrmetal at Jul 27, 2017,
do you mean FAKE or partscaster?

partscasters are just parts of different guitars thrown together. which could be good or bad speaking from a performance standpoint. some are good some not just depends on the parts

pm me pics, then put a comment in here to remind me
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
do you mean FAKE or partscaster?

partscasters are just parts of different guitars thrown together. which could be good or bad speaking from a performance standpoint. some are good some not just depends on the parts

pm me pics, then put a comment in here to remind me

Actual fake fake. Sent the photos, thanks  
Quote by monwobobbo
copy and post the pictures which would be easier. 

I PMed you a link, would you be able to take a look? Thanks
ok i take it this is supposed to be a Malmsteen. it looks ok from the pix the only thing that i wondered about was the serial number but i don't know what year this is supposed to be and serial numbers have changed. none of the usual tells seem present saying it's a fake. the pickguard  isn't original but that's not a biggie.  as long as those are malmsteen sig pups then you seem to be good. 
monwobobbo Thanks, and that's what I like to hear. It's supposed to be an 07, which matches the serial and the specs, although the writing on the inside of the pickguard says January 08 - seems reasonable to me to suppose that the neck might have been manufactured and dated some months before the craftsmen signed off the electronics in January of the following year.
Wouldn't it be substantially easier to just post an imgur link so as to harness the combined observational powers and knowledge of anyone whose curiosity is piqued by a thread titled "Is this Stratocaster legit?"?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Send/upload photos and I'll have a look. Fakes are becoming commonplace thanks to Aliexpress etc. You're somewhat reliant on the honesty of the seller, although a knowledgeable guitar expert can usually spot them.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with partscasters (otherwise known as bitzers) by the way. 
Quote by skezza
You're somewhat reliant on the honesty of the seller, although a knowledgeable guitar expert can usually spot them.
For what it's worth, you don't really need to be any sort of expert - there are telltale signs that are usually pretty apparent if you have a reasonable familiarity with the specific and general features of a manufacturer's common models.

Quote by skezza
There's absolutely nothing wrong with partscasters (otherwise known as bitzers) by the way. 
Totally; there are, however, potential issues to watch out for. People often overestimate the value of their partscasters, and you can't necessarily verify the competence of the build unless you get to play it in person. If you see a partscaster which precisely (or very nearly) fits what you're after and is worth what the seller's asking (or, even better, if you can haggle), it may be worth it to you, but then you're unlikely to be able to get the same kind of money selling it again unless you find a buyer just like you. Most importantly, of course, is that a partscaster isn't sold as anything it's not.

For what it's worth, I am also willing to offer an opinion even if it has to be via PM. I do recommend posting it publicly, though, as the chances of someone on here having both the bad manners and the necessary circumstances to snatch a potential buy out from under you are very low, whereas our ability to spot a potential fake is quite significantly improved as such discussions frequently involve someone flagging up something which makes them doubtful and someone else with more specific knowledge being able to comment on whether or not it's a valid concern.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by K33nbl4d3
For what it's worth, you don't really need to be any sort of expert - there are telltale signs that are usually pretty apparent if you have a reasonable familiarity with the specific and general features of a manufacturer's common models.

Totally; there are, however, potential issues to watch out for. People often overestimate the value of their partscasters, and you can't necessarily verify the competence of the build unless you get to play it in person. If you see a partscaster which precisely (or very nearly) fits what you're after and is worth what the seller's asking (or, even better, if you can haggle), it may be worth it to you, but then you're unlikely to be able to get the same kind of money selling it again unless you find a buyer just like you. Most importantly, of course, is that a partscaster isn't sold as anything it's not.

For what it's worth, I am also willing to offer an opinion even if it has to be via PM. I do recommend posting it publicly, though, as the chances of someone on here having both the bad manners and the necessary circumstances to snatch a potential buy out from under you are very low, whereas our ability to spot a potential fake is quite significantly improved as such discussions frequently involve someone flagging up something which makes them doubtful and someone else with more specific knowledge being able to comment on whether or not it's a valid concern.

Not always that easy to spot the telltale signs without seeing in person though. I mean, I can pull you up a photo of a fake strat right now and you'd struggle to spot the issues. It is just one of those things.

I've built a few partscasters myself. I tend to keep them rather than sell them though, primarily because I like a combination of Fender parts. I also will happily chuck a Warmoth neck on a Fender body for example.

Totally agree regarding posting it up on here. I have no interest in buying a strat right now
K33nbl4d3 Thanks for your thoughts, I'll go ahead and post the pictures here. I trust you lot enough xP I hope a link to an imgur gallery is ok - it would take a while to embed all the images with BB. I've already made an offer based on the supportive opinions of its authenticity so far, so I hope the signs are still good. The only unusual thing I can spot with the guitar is that the headstock "volute" area seems less sharply defined than on the newer models - this is a 2007 according to the seller, the serial could be '07 or '08 from what's shown of it. Of course the string tree is an afterstock, the second video shows the replacement. He claims in the comments of that video in 2012 that the guitar is real and he bought it from a Fender official distributor.
Last edited by dragonzrmetal at Jul 27, 2017,
dragonzrmetal
All looks good to me. As far as the volute (presumably you mean the "step up" between the back of the neck and the back of the headstock?), as you may be aware the model was updated in (I think?) 2011, so it's entirely possible that the neck profile's been changed, but also if you're looking at the pictures on the Fender site, I think what you may be seeing (having looked at the same pictures myself) is a misleading coincidence of the grain of the maple and the fancy photography lighting Fender uses to make their instruments look extra pretty, and I wouldn't worry about that.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
K33nbl4d3 Yup, that's what I meant. I didn't know it was updated apart from the pickups actually, I thought 2007 was the last big change. I can see that now. Thanks  
i don't see anything that is glaringly wrong here. seems like a legit YJM to me but i'm not an authority by any means.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Nice looking guitar. If it sounds good & is easy to get around on I'd keep it, authentic or not. Big frets are always good, & those are huge. Cheap guitars always seem to come with tiny frets, sucks.
Thanks to everyone that advised me on the guitar - expect an NGD soon

Apologies, I'd just removed the photos again - here they are:
http://imgur.com/a/fHyCg

I'm very excited to play the heck out of this thing. I've never owned a guitar this high end before.