Ok, Friday gig came and went.

I finally gigged the GBE600 Preamp section that I had removed from an Amp by Andy Fuchs.

I was concerned that it might not be quite the tone of the actual GBE600 as the original runs the Pre and Power sections off the same Toroidal Power Transformer and that was the major portion of the weight to be removed.

The transformer Andy chose to replace it with in function without having to run the power section was apparently a correct choice in achieving a true and honest signal to the original.

He did it!

I got my tone from the Genz Pre to run the GBE1200's I use, and keep the Gig Rack weight down.

It was a quiet gig and the 1200 power section was at the 1 position, and punched hard.  No detected noise floor, perfect, clean, punch.

The audience seemed astounded at the gig. A drummer who had not gigged for 30 years, me for a year and half, supporting a known local guitarist and singer.  We added significant work on harmonies, which I understand that other bands are not providing.

I wish the guitarist had worked more effectively in solidifying the arrangements to make us tighter, but I heard that our errors were not noticed.

I was very fortunate that Mr. Fuchs took the time to help me with this wish of mine.

I hope that some time that he, or Jeff Genzler will again make bass amps not with Digital Power sections, but with the Toroidal copper power transformers that I have found through experimentation with Digital, Solid State, and the hybrid Genz Benz with the large copper transformers to provide a complete and actually full tone that inspires me.

Sure there is some weight to this system.  When have bassists been scared of heavy Bass?

Ibanez BTB 1006 Fretless and 405 (no Barts)
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Genz Benz NeoX400 112T & NeoX 112T cab.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B
Last edited by Sliide90027 at Jul 25, 2017,
Good to hear it worked out for you.  With Fuchs himself doing the work, it stands to reason that it would rock.

GBE 1200 Bass Amplifier.  The last of an ancient breed.  I am so fu@king tired of these micro-amps for bass!
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Wow.  I suppose 10 years might be Ancient.

Funny how most hits between the 30's and the 90's were cut with vocal tracks compressed by the 1930's LA2A Circuit.  Autrey to SInatra to Jackson.

I let Mr. Fuchs know that Digital is just not doing it for me even after giving the GB STL-MAX 12.0 and 12.2 a go.  That to punch into the market there is going to have to be something noticeably better to climb over the Ampeg Wall, and forge across the sea of digital micros.  Since he is friends with Jeff Genzler perhaps they can do something together rather than compete for a share.

I fear the market is too small to allow the best signal path for the greatest tone a chance to be actually heard and seriously considered by the market place.

The money was available here, amps were bought (they are stil here too) and the shootout commenced.  That 1200 earned its place in my signal path.  I found nothing that sounded like it amongst the 12.0 Digital, the 12.2 Digital Emulation, and a Yamaha P2000 solid state with Iron transformer (it felt like).

Some may say I am settling for a Hybrid switching off a copper coil, but it works real nice for me.

Let Andy know you are tired of micro amps too.  It may keep the idea alive.
Ibanez BTB 1006 Fretless and 405 (no Barts)
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Genz Benz NeoX400 112T & NeoX 112T cab.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B