So I'm looking for an amp under 300-400$, that still sounds excellent. I'll take anything; Marshall, Peavey, Fender...
It would quite likely have to be a solid-state amp, because it's hard to get a good sounding valve/tube amp for that budget, especially when talking about Marshall or Fender. 
Does have to be new or can you look for used amps? What kind of sound are you going for? Metal, Rock, Blues?
For Solid States: the Boss Katana 100 checks a lot of boxes! A great sounding thing for a good price. 100 Watt for like $300 or something like that.
Hooper drives the boat chief...
Quilter 101 or Microblock 45.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
You can't expect to get something truly great for $400.

What genres are you most interested in? What are the most important features to you?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
There is nothing "excellent" in that price range.  I think a used Fender  tube amp ( HRD, Blues Junior, Deluxe) is your best bet for that price, but not of much help unless you play cleaner styles of music.  
A used PV-Classic 30 might be of interest depending on needs. Some vintage around that price as well... Ampeg, Laney , Musicman .... Peavey VTM perhaps....lots out there...
Last edited by Guitaraxe at Jul 25, 2017,
Used Peavey Delta Blues 115 combos can be had for $400 on Reverb.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by BenjaminFeiring
T00DEEPBLUE  Almost anything

Then you have a massive list of options which may or may not actually be suitable for what you need. You need to be specific as to what exactly you want.

Otherwise you might very well end up with something that'll make you rethink if stating that you are willing to get almost anything was the best idea.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by BenjaminFeiring
T00DEEPBLUE Rock, blues, jazz and a bit of metal. Are the peavey vypyr 30 or marshall mg30cfx good ones?

The Vypyrs aren't amazing, but they're still the best out of all the cheapo modellers for high gain tones. Cheap Marshalls like the MG's and CODE's are all junk. Avoid.

What tones are the most important for you to achieve? Some modelling amps do particular tones better than others.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Have you also considered the possibility of using amp sims on your computer?

I think that hands down that's the way you'll get the most bang for your buck. You can get going with some of those solutions for just a couple hundy that'll smoke any amp for the same price.

http://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/Focusrite-Scarlett-2i2-2nd-Gen/1KPW?origin=product-ads&campaign=PLA+Shop+-+GENERIC&adgroup=GENERIC&medium=vertical_search&network=google&merchant_id=1279443&product_id=73508d1&product_country=GB&product_partition_id=191175556639&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqLv6r4Ol1QIV67XtCh25VQzBEAYYASABEgJ3Z_D_BwE

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/amplitube4/
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I just bought a used Peavey 6505+ Combo for $399. It was a huge upgrade from my Vox vt20+ 
"It means a lot to me that my darkness can connect with your darkness and make it OK." - James Hetfield

Guitar: Ibanez S370
Seymour Duncan Pick ups
SH-4 JB (Neck)
Quarter Pound (Strat)
SH-6 Distortion (Bridge)

Amp:
Peavey 6505 Mini Head
w/Peavey 112 Speaker cab (Celestion Greenback)

Pedals:
Boss NS-2
Boss DS-1
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Quote by BenjaminFeiring
T00DEEPBLUE i want a nice clean tone that doesent buzz when played too high. I have distortion/overdrive pedals.

$450-ish would get you a used HotRod Deluxe from GC.... The clean on those is pretty good(imo).
Quote by jackmiddlemiss
It would quite likely have to be a solid-state amp, because it's hard to get a good sounding valve/tube amp for that budget, especially when talking about Marshall or Fender. 
Does have to be new or can you look for used amps? What kind of sound are you going for? Metal, Rock, Blues?
For Solid States: the Boss Katana 100 checks a lot of boxes! A great sounding thing for a good price. 100 Watt for like $300 or something like that.

Depends on what size. There's many good 5W tube amps in that price range but slim pickings for anything larger. Not sure what size amp the TS is looking for but a 5W tube is plenty loud enough to rock the house but not enough for a band. 
Quote by BenjaminFeiring
T00DEEPBLUE Rock, blues, jazz and a bit of metal. Are the peavey vypyr 30 or marshall mg30cfx good ones?

this kind of answer will get you nowhere. you need to give examples of what types of tones you are looking for to get a good answer. otherwise all we can do is guess. you then cite 2 amps that are way under your budget which makes me wonder as well. 
I would go with a Peavey classic 30/50, Peavey VK (on the cheap) or an HRD.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Peavey. Dirty little practice amps if you are just starting out they will do the job. Those Vypyr 100watt ones look interesting for $300, & the foot controller is about $120. Should fix you up. The other Peaveys talked about in this thread are probably good too.
Well I recently got a vox AC10C1 and it sounds sweet into my 2x12 cab.Reverb is digi and quite sensitive but sounds good.Nice amp from cleans to rock.Not really for metal though unless you're using dist pedals.Just a thought
Oh and +1 on the Peavey Classic 30.I used to have an old one and it sounded very nice.US made too i think.I loved it.It was abit too loud for my needs though and the post(master) volume was very sensitive.It got loud quickly.
a fender blues jr. with the 12' Jensen speaker..a nice surprise..its clean and dirty too..thinking of selling mine for 450$...
play well

wolf
Quote by BenjaminFeiring
monwobobbo Just a practice amp for home, three tone knobs if possible,  I play mostly rock and metal.

ok well i'll 2nd a Peavey Classic 30 or for a little cheaper a Peavey Valveking.  both are great for rock and with an overdrive can do metal but don't excell at modern metal tones. before you say dude the VK is a 50 watt amp i'll tell you that is what i use at home for practice. yes it can get much louder but it's fine at lovwer volumes. if you want to play with others then you can as well. 
I'd look at a super champ x2.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD