So I've been fiddling around with my gears finding my own tone and that one tone that always gets me was Gary Moore's Montreux 2010 performance.

I describe his tone as the tone that pierces you; it just hits you immediately. There seem to be this high brittleness to his tone that I could not seem to replicate beside running a reverb pedal at the end. I do not want to replicate it but to get the essence of that tone... Anyone have any clues?

Is there a need to increase the treble or it's just his really really expensive gear...?

Edit: By looking at his guitar tone, I could tell his amp is at really low overdrive (almost clean). Signal Chain if I'm not wrong for his high gain tone, Overdrive (TS-808/Bad Monkey) --> Distortion --> Reverb --> Amp

For references, here are some vids:

[url="(Invalid video video code);ab_channel=neventeslic];ab_channel=neventeslic

[url="(Invalid video video code);ab_channel=RollingStones50yrs];ab_channel=RollingStones50yrs[url="(Invalid video video code);ab_channel=Micha%C5%82Kabzi%C5%84ski];ab_channel=Micha%C5%82Kabzi%C5%84ski
Fender Standard Stratocaster MIM 2011 with David Gilmour Neck Pickup Switch Mod

Epiphone Les Paul Standard PlusTop Pro 2015 with Peter Green Mod

1999 Japanese Epiphone Les Paul Standard LP-80 with Peter Green Mod
Last edited by noobyXD at Jul 25, 2017,
Huge Gary fan. His high gain tones are from his amp No t a distortion pedal.

What gear are you using?
AFAIK he just uses amp drive mostly with a TS9 to tighten it up a bit. In his later days he mostly just used DSLs for dirt and plexis for cleans IIRC. Sometimes he would blend them as well but I think the brunt of his later tone was mostly DSL.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
pretty sure i saw a video online showing gary's pedal board and amps for this tour you might want to check for that. 
Gary's live tone came from four main components
1. Marshall DSL100
2. Les Paul
3. Marshall Guv'nor overdrive Mk1
4 Alesis Quadraverb.

I think that he also used a Rangemaster treble booster at times too
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Gary's live tone came from four main components
1. Marshall DSL100
2. Les Paul
3. Marshall Guv'nor overdrive Mk1
4 Alesis Quadraverb.

I think that he also used a Rangemaster treble booster at times too

oddly enough for 2010 he has a tubescreamer and believe it or not a bad monkey on his board but not the guv'nor. 
Quote by monwobobbo
oddly enough for 2010 he has a tubescreamer and believe it or not a bad monkey on his board but not the guv'nor. 

I saw that video... He has like a crap ton of reverb pedals LOL

His main drives were the t rex Morley, ts808 and a bad monkey as far as i can tell

Still using g some orange 20w amp but the sound that I'm trying to get the essence of is that brittleness 'wailing' sound that seem to come from his reverb pedals

Cathbard I've read at an interview somewhere that his reverb mainly comes from the amps.... He only use the pedals if he needed more

H4T3BR33D3R that's weird... Cos in 2010 (in the vids anyways) i was certain he uses 1959 HW reissue in clean or just slightly overdriven. He gets his high gain from his t rex and tighten it using either an 808 or bad monkey. The intro of Parisienne walkway is what i interpret from

Edit: For his strat tone, he runs a boss ds-1 into a clean marshall amp... So i was thinking if he was using this same principle for his les paul tones

Last edited by noobyXD at Jul 26, 2017,
monwobobbo Really? He used the Guvnor for most of his career.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

For his earlier days yea... But later years he uses a t rex morlley 1 (forget how u spell it)

Quote by Cathbard

Wasn't on his board in video. I was surprised to.

His early 80s strat tone is a ds-1 into Marshall but it was It was used as a boost and not for distortion. That is a tone I really love.
Quote by monwobobbo
Wasn't on his board in video. I was surpristed to.

His early 80s strat tone is a ds-1 into Marshall but it was It was used as a boost and not for distortion.  That is a tone I really love.

Excerpt from an interview  "I didn’t use any pedals whatsoever in the studio for this one, just guitar and amp. I kind of made that rule before I went in. I just wanted to see what I could do with the guitar and the amp. Onstage, I use 
T-Rex pedals. At the moment I’m using a T-Rex Moller Overdrive, Mudhoney Overdrive, and the blue one (T-Rex Alberta). I also use the Room-Mate Reverb and the Replica Delay. "

Link : http://www.briandholland.com/GaryMooreInterview.htm

When I look at his pedalboard, could tell both the gains and boost are quite high up... Assuming he's using a fairly driven amp, it still won't make sense to have the brittleness coming from the amp only...

I've discussed it with my friend and both of us came to a conclusion that it could be his reverb pedals because i'm pretty sure he runs it at the front of the amp instead of the FX loop... But what are everyone thought's on this?

Last edited by noobyXD at Jul 26, 2017,
Quote by noobyXD
Excerpt from an interview  "I didn’t use any pedals whatsoever in the studio for this one, just guitar and amp. I kind of made that rule before I went in. I just wanted to see what I could do with the guitar and the amp. Onstage, I use 
T-Rex pedals. At the moment I’m using a T-Rex Moller Overdrive, Mudhoney Overdrive, and the blue one (T-Rex Alberta). I also use the Room-Mate Reverb and the Replica Delay. "

Link : http://www.briandholland.com/GaryMooreInterview.htm

When I look at his pedalboard, could tell both the gains and boost are quite high up... Assuming he's using a fairly driven amp, it still won't make sense to have the brittleness coming from the amp only...

I've discussed it with my friend and both of us came to a conclusion that it could be his reverb pedals because i'm pretty sure he runs it at the front of the amp instead of the FX loop... But what are everyone thought's on this?

No one is saying he didn't use pedals just that the amp wasn't necessarily clean. He has 2 amps one for clean and one for dirt. I doubt the reverb was in front of the amp more likely a 4cable setup.
monwobobbo Can't really tell from the pedal video cos it was dark and all. But what could exactly cause the teeth-grinding brittleness

Quote by noobyXD
monwobobbo Can't really tell from the pedal video cos it was dark and all. But what could exactly cause the teeth-grinding brittleness

Combo of overdrive and amp set to breakup. Keep in mind that Gary could run amps much louder than we cs.n
monwobobbo Hm... I was watching his other live performances but it doesn't have that brittleness... Could it be the amps itself too?

Quote by noobyXD
monwobobbo Hm... I was watching his other live performances but it doesn't have that brittleness... Could it be the amps itself too?

Could be. Sound in venue, recording etc. Many things contribute to what you hear. Amps may have been supplied by venue. Pro recording get tinkered with so again what you end up hearing may Not be totally accurate.

Tone chasing can be a bit of a fool's errand. No matter how hard you try chances are you won't be able to duplicate it. I strive for Gary's early 80s strat tone but outside of having a strat ( and not one like Gary's) I don't use the same gear. Gives me something to do but the ultimate goal will never likely to be achieved
Love Gary's tone, especially on "Blues Alive" - sustain for days. After selling that iconic Les Paul he seemed not be sound as good though...

From interviews I remember he used a Marshall Guvnor (the old one)

into a hired DSL JCM2000 with 1960a cabs. He probably used some 'verb and an analog echo pedal but it is mostly the fingers and the guitar.
His 1960's were loaded with EVM12L's too
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I watched the video below and they have one of Gary's Ibanez TS pedals that still has his personal settings marked on it (00:33 on the video). I am happy to see it is a TS10. These are my personal favorite Ibanez TS pedals. A little more upper mids that I find pleasing though the TS 10 did have a pedal switch issue and I have heard that the input and output jacks can cause problems because they are not mounted to the pedal, they are mounted on the circuit board. I have two of these and luckily haven't had that issue even after 30 years of use.

Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Jul 26, 2017,
monwobobbo haha yea i know tone chasing is just a game you'll never win... But i was hoping to just get the essence of it than the actual tone... by essence i meant the brittleness coming from that tone.

diabolical He only sold the Greeny Les Paul... But he still held most dearly to his own '59 Les Paul... the one with open cover pickups that he used on Still Got The Blues. Tho I agreed Greeny is a very very special LP...
Most of this albums were using the DSL2000 for most of his careers... He used the BluesBreaker during the Live Blues and one other event if I'm not wrong. However he changed to 1959 HW Reissue after 2008 up till his death.

Rickholly74 Well, the TS10 is expensive af to buy now LOL

In listening to the 2010 Montreaux recording I think I am hearing a reverb with a short delay before the amp.  When he stops playing and grabs the neck you can hear it.  Sounds like reverb that gets squished in the front of the amp rather than in the loop.  That may contribute to the edgy brittle tone.  Worth experimenting with a bit.  He was an awesome player with so much heart and passion.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
diabolical He's always more worried about his quality of playing on stage haha

Cajundaddy But do you reckon his amp is clean or one clean and one more dirty like monwobo mentioned earlier.

Quote by noobyXD
monwobobbo haha yea i know tone chasing is just a game you'll never win... But i was hoping to just get the essence of it than the actual tone... by essence i meant the brittleness coming from that tone.

diabolical He only sold the Greeny Les Paul... But he still held most dearly to his own '59 Les Paul... the one with open cover pickups that he used on Still Got The Blues.

That one was called Stripe by the way.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
H4T3BR33D3R Ah yea.... I always called it the Still Got The Blues Les Paul or Gary Moore's '59