Hi,

I am in the process of rebuilding a Yamaha RGX121S I had lying around (wood repair + painting).

While the guitar is disassembled, I would like to replace the original pickups (H-S-H), but I don't know what to get.

The guitar will not be used for a particular genre of music, I just want to get something that goes well with it.  I can go used or new.

Any suggestion?

Thanks,
E.
Jackson Pro DK2QM + DiM Air Norton, Tone Zone
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Yamaha RGX121S
Squier Classic Vibe 50s 60th Anniversary
Ibanez Iron RGIX20FEQM
LTD Snakebyte
Some accoustic guitar
Roland Cube 20
Marshall Code 50
Homemade 1W Amp
Homemade TS808 Pedal
Homemade Distortion Pedal
One of my favorite H-S-H combinations comes from Carvin. Their C-series humbuckers are outstanding (http://www.kieselguitars.com/group/classic-humbucker-pickups ). I have AP-11s as the center single coil in these guitars (http://www.kieselguitars.com/group/single-coil-twinblade-pickups ), One guitar has the C22B in the bridge, the C22J in the neck.

If you want a more raucous rock and roll pickup in the bridge, I have two suggestions: the Carvin M22SD (which splits beautifully) at around 13-14 Kohms, or the Suhr Aldrich bridge pickup (don't bother with the neck pickup), which has been amazing in several of my LPs.
The guitar will not be used for a particular genre of music, I just want to get something that goes well with it.

Could you narrow it down just a little? Certain combinations will sound radically different from others.

(Budget would be nice, too.)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!

Quote by dspellman One of my favorite H-S-H combinations comes from Carvin. Their C-series humbuckers are outstanding (http://www.kieselguitars.com/group/classic-humbucker-pickups ). I have AP-11s as the center single coil in these guitars (http://www.kieselguitars.com/group/single-coil-twinblade-pickups ),  One guitar has the C22B in the bridge, the C22J in the neck.   If you want a more raucous rock and roll pickup in the bridge, I have two suggestions: the Carvin M22SD (which splits beautifully) at around 13-14 Kohms, or the Suhr Aldrich bridge pickup (don't bother with the neck pickup), which has been amazing in several of my LPs.

Thanks I'll take a look!

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Could you narrow it down just a little?  Certain combinations will sound radically different from others.

(Budget would be nice, too.)

I'd say blues, classic rock, heavy rock, metal.

No budget but since the guitar is cheap, I would prefer to stay in the 80-112USD range per pickup.
Yamaha RGX121S
Ibanez Iron RGIX20FEQM
LTD Snakebyte
Some accoustic guitar
Roland Cube 20
Marshall Code 50
Homemade 1W Amp
Homemade TS808 Pedal
Last edited by Omega98 at Jul 26, 2017,
On the lower end of the price scale, STEWMAC's Golden Age pickups are actually pretty nice. Tesla OPUS HBs would be good, as might their VR-Extreme. Wilkinsons are another solid option.

Seymour Duncan JB, Jazz or '59 HBs are worthy of consideration. The '59 is probably my favorite SD pickup these days,

Lace Alumitones are worth a look.

RailHammer HBs and Humcutters (HB-sized noiseless P90s) are all @$99 each, and have a lot of tonal variety, I'd recommend anything except the Anvil on the HB side, and any except the Huevos 90 of the humcutters.
http://railhammer.com/images/support/2017_railhammer_tone_chart.pdf
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
On the lower end of the price scale, STEWMAC's Golden Age pickups are actually pretty nice.  Tesla OPUS HBs would be good, as might their VR-Extreme.  Wilkinsons are another solid option.

Seymour Duncan JB, Jazz or '59 HBs are worthy of consideration.  The '59 is probably my favorite SD pickup these days,

Lace Alumitones are worth a look.

RailHammer HBs and Humcutters (HB-sized noiseless P90s) are all @$99 each, and have a lot of tonal variety,  I'd recommend anything except the Anvil on the HB side, and any except the Huevos 90 of the humcutters.
http://railhammer.com/images/support/2017_railhammer_tone_chart.pdf

Would the Stewmac's really be an upgrade from the original Yamaha pickups?

I had the JB and '59 in my Jackson, that's a great idea.

I've found a pair of Duncan Designed HB103N and HB103B from a '90 Japanese Jackson for sale (32USD), would that be worth it?
Yamaha RGX121S
Ibanez Iron RGIX20FEQM
LTD Snakebyte
Some accoustic guitar
Roland Cube 20
Marshall Code 50
Homemade 1W Amp
Homemade TS808 Pedal
I don't know the originals for that guitar, so I can't really say. But I do have a pair of Golden Age in a pricey axe (they were standard) and they sound like perfectly fine, middle of the road HBs. Sound decent split, too.

That doesn't mean they hold up to pricier pickups I've gotten in other guitars. They're not as rich & lively sounding as the HB I got from The Creamery for a custom project, for instance. But they're definitely a solid option in their price range.

Duncan Designed, though, I've not heard anything positive about, except that many people are positive they need to be yanked.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
I don't know the originals for that guitar, so I can't really say.  But I do have a pair of Golden Age in a pricey axe (they were standard) and they sound like perfectly fine, middle of the road HBs.  Sound decent split, too.

That doesn't mean they hold up to pricier pickups I've gotten in other guitars.  They're not as rich & lively sounding as the HB I got from The Creamery for a custom project, for instance.  But they're definitely a solid option in their price range.

Duncan Designed, though, I've not heard anything positive about, except that many people are positive they need to be yanked.

Okay thanks, I'll keep them in mind then.

Haha good to know for the DD..

Is the SD SH-2N any good?  Found a pair of SH-2N and SH-4.  If I'm not mistaken, SH-4 is a JB.
Yamaha RGX121S
Ibanez Iron RGIX20FEQM
LTD Snakebyte
Some accoustic guitar
Roland Cube 20
Marshall Code 50
Homemade 1W Amp
Homemade TS808 Pedal
The SH-2N is- as I recall- the Jazz. So yeah, an industry standard.

The SH-2 and the SH-4 are available together usually as the Hot Rodded Humbucker set. Great for classic rock & heavier styles. Not as good for older, cleaner styles. 
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Quote by Mincer
The SH-2 and the SH-4 are available together usually as the Hot Rodded Humbucker set. Great for classic rock & heavier styles. Not as good for older, cleaner styles. 

That sounds great to me.

What about a Screamin Demon and a Pearly Gates? Overkill for this little Yamaha?
Yamaha RGX121S
Ibanez Iron RGIX20FEQM
LTD Snakebyte
Some accoustic guitar
Roland Cube 20
Marshall Code 50
Homemade 1W Amp
Homemade TS808 Pedal
No such thing, IMHO. Nothing wrong with hotrodding a guitar.