Looking to upgrade the speaker in my Laney AOR30. 

The most important thing is it has to be substantially more efficient than the Celestion G12L-35 in there at the moment, as I want it to get over a relatively loud drummer. It also lacks balls. I read a review that said a Celestion Creamback G12H-75 really livens this amp up, so I'm leaning towards that. But there are a stupid amount of other options so I'm kinda stuck as to what to get. Also looking at Celestion Lynchback, G12M-65, Eminence Private Jack & Wizard, WGS Invader, Reaper HP and ET65. All the clips I hear of Greenback type speakers disappoint me but I tried a Bluesbreaker reissue a while back that had 2 Greenbacks in and it was pretty much the best thing I've ever heard so I am considering them. Not looking at actual Greenbacks, H30 etc as I've heard a 22 watt amp into a 25 or 30 watt speaker could blow it. 

I mostly play clean with a Tele on the edge of breakup or with a bit of drive, sometimes with a fuzz. I want it to sound full and punchy. Budget is up to about £110.

Thanks in advance.
korinaflyingv From what I see, the AOR is not really meant to be an edge of breakup amp, moreso it is a higher-gain Marshall jive. And it is only 22w, getting all of the juice out of the amp means you will have to drive it. Maybe later down the road you would want to look into a more clean-oriented amp with more output? I typically recommend a 30w amp if you need to be heard over the drummer and can tolerate some grit in the signal- but 50w if you need crystal-clear cleans. Teles + AC30's are magic.

About the speaker, though: the G12L-35 is rated at 95db sensitivity which is quite low. The Creamback or a V30 are rated at 100db sensitivity so you will likely snag a bit more volume there. Also be sure the amp is pointed at your head and not your feet when you are jamming with the drummer.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jul 25, 2017,
It sounds good to me on the edge of break up, better than the higher gain settings, it's just not as ballsy as I'd like. I know a different speaker can improve that as I tried a different one with it (more balls but sounded way too bright on high gain settings). I'll get a JTM45 clone eventually but I won't be able to afford that for a while. I'm interested in the Emi Wizard as it's rated at about 103db, I've read that just +3db can make a lot of difference in volume.
Last edited by korinaflyingv at Jul 25, 2017,
Quote by korinaflyingv
It sounds good to me on the edge of break up, better than the higher gain settings, it's just not as ballsy as I'd like. I know a different speaker can improve that as I tried a different one with it (more balls but sounded way too bright on high gain settings). I'll get a JTM45 clone eventually but I won't be able to afford that for a while. I'm interested in the Emi Wizard as it's rated at about 103db, I've read that just +3db can make a lot of difference in volume.

IIRC, it is actually the opposite. It takes an extra 10db for the listener to perceive double volume. But to increase loudness only by 3db, you actually have to double the wattage.
That sounds more familiar, someone stated it the other way round on a forum post. 

EDIT: no wait that does make sense. the person was saying a 3db difference in speaker volume would give the impression of double the wattage.

Not that I'm expecting a new speaker to make my Laney sound like a 40 watt amp. 
Last edited by korinaflyingv at Jul 25, 2017,