So, I was wondering how people record at home. What people use to get a good sound.

I use a little usb interface through FX preamp into reaper daw.

I get an okay sound but it is missing something. I usually do two tracks of rythm. My mate then will track drums in. I'm doing rock / metal.

Anyone use similar setup? What you do to get that better sound.
I end up reamping most of my guitar tracks thru what I have, which is Mesa Mini, Orange Tiny Terror, Marshall JCM900 or Laney AOR and other amps.

My travel rig is guitar->USB interface->Studio One with either the built in Ampire and cab IRs or one of the freeware amps out there like LePou, Nick Crow, etc.
I also have Amplitube 3 which I use with cab IRs instead of the built in cabs.

I think that is probably the main thing, getting a good IR library. I like Kalthallen and God's cab.

In your case, probably a good move up would be to get some interface that will provide better quality input, maybe something by Audient?
I find Reaper wanting in terms of effects but it could be supplemented by 3rd party plugins...or you can move to a different DAW.
I currently amp on Studio One and like it quite a bit.
Quote by diabolical
I end up reamping most of my guitar tracks thru what I have, which is Mesa Mini, Orange Tiny Terror, Marshall JCM900 or Laney AOR and other amps.

My travel rig is guitar->USB interface->Studio One with either the built in Ampire and cab IRs or one of the freeware amps out there like LePou, Nick Crow, etc.
I also have Amplitube 3 which I use with cab IRs instead of the built in cabs.

I think that is probably the main thing, getting a good IR library. I like Kalthallen and God's cab.

In your case, probably a good move up would be to get some interface that will provide better quality input, maybe something by Audient?
I find Reaper wanting in terms of effects but it could be supplemented by 3rd party plugins...or you can move to a different DAW.
I currently amp on Studio One and like it quite a bit.

Thanks.

It never occurred to me to plug straight into usb interface.

I have been using a Beringer pod copy pre amp thing. I've never been 100% happy with using it through amp, so maybe the source of some of my gripe.

I will try some of those amp sims you mentioned. See how I get on.
You could also try disabling the cabinet selection on the Vamp and see how it fares with IRs from something like say Kalthallen.

You'll need
http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2013/11/23/ignite-amps-nadir/

and then you load these into it:
http://cabs.kalthallen.de/kalthallen_free.html
diabolical

Cheers again.

This whole IR is a very new concept. Think it's a few days worth of reading and trialing.

I will let you know how I get on.
diabolical

I'm pretty impressed with those links you shared. Some are subtle but give you a little bit more.

I carried on using the amp mods and FX in the vamp. I haven't found yet any amps or dist FX that I like in plugin form. Found the drive too scratchy sounding on one's I've tried.
The scratchy part makes me think that maybe you're doing it wrong.
You would need to put the amp plugin first, then follow up with the IR loader, say NadIR, then circle thru cab wav impulses from say the Kalthalen library.

If you are unsure, check out some Youtube vids
We have no idea what kind(s) of tone you're gonig for. I have a feeling it might be metal core-y......

Regardless, as others have said in places: start with the amp and cab. BIAS is great for that. Don't even mess with the options.

BIASFX has the same amps and cabs, along with a slew of pedals and stuff. Lots The dark green OD is a pretty smooth gain boost and overdrive. The 'green' (TS808-type) is pretty decent, and easy to punch the front of an amp with.
Imaginum

Thanks, I've got a lot on this week so won't get chance to look.

You're not too far off metal core really, I want a similar guitar tone but with less drive.
88wells: actually, most of those tones aren't that hot. The mix! The mix! Or so they say.