Ok, I own a Billy Corgan signature strat.  It just so happens that Corgan is my favorite guitarist of all time.  The issue is that I don't really care for signature instruments; for some reason I have this belief in my head that they're not "cool", lol. (if that makes any sense at all).  And I want an instrument of mine to be unique to me, as much as it can be (which is why I usually customize cosmetics and pickups in my guitars).  For some reason, in a live setting, I wouldn't want to be using another artist's signature guitar.

This guitar is actually the best sounding instrument I own.  But I'm more of a Gibson guy, and play my Les Paul DC Pro and Studio a lot more than the strat.  I also have smaller hands, and the Gibson scale is more to my liking.  I'm actually thinking of selling the strat and buying a Les Paul Special DC (I love the DC's) to replace it.  And I'd get a great deal on it, too.  

The only thing holding me back is the regret factor.  The Pumpkins were my favorite band growing up, if that matters any.  Can I get you guy's opinions on the matter?  What would you do in my position?  I'd really appreciate any and all advice.
I can empathise with you on the signature thing - I don't like the "guitar hero" idea either. I'm a bit confused though, you say it is the best sounding guitar you have, but you want to trade it for something else? Leaving that aside, I would trade it, I'm perverse enough that I would deliberately avoid having a guitar similar to any of my heroes. While I might want to play "in the style of", I've no ambition to be any kind of tribute player.
Last edited by Tony Done at Jul 25, 2017,
Thanks for the reply, man.  I've thought about just changing the neck; that would fix my main issue with the strat, I think.  
I mean, if you reallllly love that guitar and feel like you'd regret it, don't sell it. You don't HAVE to gig with it. But if you do HAVE to gig with it and the signature thing really bothers you, sell it and get the LP. You could always build your own strat close to the specs of that guitar down the line. That way it's unique to you but at the same time is inspired by your favorite artist. 
Quote by Carmel
Lucky I'm a girl and I don't give a damn.

Quote by darkwolf291

I've seen her kill a man with a spork and a rubber band
No one is safe from the wrath of Batgirl!
I wouldn't be overly concerned. it's not nearly as bad as someone playing Pantera on a razorback.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Put a set of RailHammer Billy Corgan noiseless HB-sized P90s in the LP of your choice and never look back.problem solved!

http://railhammer.com/Billy_Corgan_Neck.html
http://railhammer.com/Billy_Corgan_Bridge.html

What?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Put a set of RailHammer Billy Corgan noiseless HB-sized P90s in the LP of your choice and never look back.problem solved!

http://railhammer.com/Billy_Corgan_Neck.html
http://railhammer.com/Billy_Corgan_Bridge.html

What?

That is a good solution.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
That's one of the signature guitars that doesn't even look like a signature guitar, so I wouldn't even worry about it.  
My guess is you're going to regret selling it from reading your thread.

But it's replacement and then see which one you play.

This is all in your head. I have no idea what your guitar looks like but can you just put a sticker over the signature marking? That way no one will know which it seems you are worried about.

If you sound and play good no one will really care.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
My guess is you're going to regret selling it from reading your thread.  

But it's replacement and then see which one you play.  

This is all in your head.  I have no idea what your guitar looks like but can you just put a sticker over the signature marking?  That way no one will know which it seems you are worried about.

If you sound and play good no one will really care.

All the pics that I've found there are no visible signs of it being a signature guitar besides a little signature on the back of the headstock.  It looks like a regular hard tail Strat with 3 single coil sized blade humbuckers.  I highly doubt anyone would ever recognise it as a signature guitar.  It's not like an EVH stripe, George Lynch, Warren DeMartini, Steve Vai, Satriani, John Petrucci or Dimebag sig that screams signature guitar.   
Last edited by Way Cool JR. at Jul 25, 2017,
Quote by Way Cool JR.
.  I highly doubt anyone would ever recognise it as a signature guitar.  It's not like an EVH stripe, George Lynch, Warren DeMartini, Steve Vai, Satriani, John Petrucci or Dimebag sig that screams signature guitar.   

exactly. I wouldn't fuss.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I'm on board with the whole signature thing being a bit "uncool" but if it sounds really good and it makes you play great, then that's really all that matters. Plus, if you have a personal connection to it, you may really regret selling it.
However, I'm a bit biased when it comes to Les Paul's and would chose a Les Paul over a Strat any day!
This seldom happens when people realize you're using someone else's signature guitar:

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
This seldom happens when people realize you're using someone else's signature guitar:

Yeah. I was thinking about that. probably five people in the average bar know the difference between a strat and a les paul.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
Yeah. I was thinking about that. probably five people in the average bar know the difference between a strat and a les paul.

We asked people leaving a bar after a gig if they knew what guitar the lead player was using.

The number one reply from women was, "Red, I think."
Quote by dspellman
We asked people leaving a bar after a gig if they knew what guitar the lead player was using.

The number one reply from women was, "Red, I think."

The man IS a genius.

Don't worry about it man. Like others have said, most people don't know much about guitars, pickups, necks etc.
I own a Gibson Bill Kelliher Signature Les Paul. I love playing it. It feels and sounds great. I mean, there is a reason these guys have signature guitars, they know what sounds good and plays well. Sure you don't want to be a tribute player, so just use different amps and pedals to create your own tone.
The sound is really coming from amps and pedals anyway  
Hooper drives the boat chief...
IMO Looks and what's "cool" aren't important.  I'll play a block of wood with strings and a pickup strapped on it if the tone intrigues me enough.  If it's your best sounding guitar I see no reason to sell it.
A guitar is a tool for making music. If the right tool is that strat then who cares. No nobody is going to notice or care. You will find rock guitar players in real bands that use another players sig guitar so that shows you No biggie.

Keep the strat and let the music do the talking
It does rock, man.  I think I'm just gonna save for a little while and replace the neck on it.  Another 70's neck with rosewood would look awesome, too.
"I don't want a signature guitar"

"I want a Les Paul"

Choose one. They're mutually exclusive.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Other musicians will know tha it has the attributes that allow you to play your best and sound good, so they won't care what is on the guitar. Your audiences won't know what is on your guitar, and won't care. All is good. Keep the strat and play it.
As one who uses 2 Signature models (A Hondo Paul Dean II Designed by Loverboy's lead guitarist, and a Fender Jag-Stang designed by Kurt Cobain of Nirvana), I say don't give a crap what others think.  If you like what Billy Corgan came up with that much, I say use it.  That's what I think at least.

The two I play I've heard all sorts of crap about - one is very modded (JAg-Stang), the other is practically the same thing as the Canadian built original version of it (Hondo Paul Dean) which I sourced a pair of vintage DiMarzio Super II epoxy case pickups for it from the 80's.

The Hondo I have a bit of a benefit of nobody knowing what it is.  Some "high up" guitarists think it's a "piece of junk Hondo" because they just look at the name on the headstock and look no further - kind of a shame as it was made by Kasuga or Tokai in Japan in the 80's - at least one of those is an esteemed builder Hondo was using for their high-end models.  Some of the alt/indie/extreme left alternative guitarists I know laugh about it because it's a "Loverboy" guitar.  Usually I just hear "nice guitar".  A few are intrigued and ask me about it, which if I have the time I'll talk or I'll redirect them to the site on these guitars.  I think I've only had someone pick it out once at an open jam night and get a little crazy  because they were a Loverboy fan and I was playing "Working for the Weekend" on it at that jam.  Yes, it DOES nail that sound, but 99.9% of the time I'm using it for other stuff that's miles away from what Loverboy sounds like.  Currently I'm playing in a 90's cover band, not sure what they'll think if I bring it in.  I've got a few people on YouTube trying to get me to sell it to them, which I'll never do.

The Jag-Stang is totally NOT what Kurt wanted. Kurt had his custom shop Jag-Stang modded with a Duncan JB in the bridge, Gotoh Tune-O-Matic bridge with the tailpiece locked down so it won't "Whammy", and strung up with Dean MArkley .010's.  Mine has EMG 81/SA active pickups, a EMG Pi2 Phase Inverter, and is wired so that one switch is a pickup selector, and the other acts as a phase/kill/normal switch.  Also, I use the stock Mustang bridge and have the whammy enabled, and I use it - a LOT.  Also, the production Jag-Stangs, particularly the first run of them like mine, were Basswood instead of Alder, so it's a little bit lighter.

The general reaction I get to having such a heavily modified guitar designed by a major artist is kind of an odd thing.  On one hand, you have a lot of people who think it's cool I'm taking a "Signature Model" in a totally different direction than it's designer intended, the relic fans love how beat up it is (because I've been gigging it as my #1 for 17 years). But then you have a few "gatekeeper" Nirvana fans who come around, usually on my YouTube Channel, and bitch at me for putting "butt rock" pickups in it, or playing 80's metal covers on it, or because I treat it more as a tool than an investment - Kind of funny to me that they are that way about it as much as Kurt liked original ideas or at least said he did in interviews, and every thing except buying the pickups was done by me on a budget (mostly) - Punk Rock D.I.Y. ethos all the way.  And even then, 80's covers notwithstanding, it's not like I'm up there in 40 pounds of Aquanet and spandex singing "ooh baby baby" shit anyway.

Of course I'm also using that most of the time in the 90's cover band, kind of cliché, I know, but I really don't care.  It does the job, sounds great, and stays in tune, so that's what matters.  And I'm most comfortable with it of any guitar in my collection.

Then there's a small section of people who see the guitar and think it's a Mustang or a Jaguar and then spin yarns about having an old Fender somethingorother just like it in the 1960's-1980's in the same color.  Kind of cool meeting them though, I found out recently one of those guys from my early days gigging that guitar in high school in Auburn Alabama that turned out to possibly be in a MTV Basement Tapes band in the early 80's - The Moderns - and they indeed have a Mustang on their youtube posts of their early 80's output.

Honestly, people are going to gauge/judge you no matter what you play.  You just have to ignore as much of it as possible and enjoy what you like.  One of the key things of being a performing musician is to have a thick skin.  Heck knows, you'll probably get a lot of compliments from fans of the Pumpkins.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
Last edited by Mad-Mike_J83 at Jul 26, 2017,
To be fair, the OP also mentioned being more comfy with the 24.75" scale than the 25.5" scale, which is why I suggested the Railhammer-modded LP.

...or, of course, any 24.75" scale axe that suits the OP.

You are looking to sell a signature Fender to buy a signature Gibson and you say your Fender sounds great? I'm not into signature anything. It's usually just a marketing gimmick and an excuse to sell something at a higher price. That being said if a guitar is a signature modal and sounds good why not just keep it and play it. Nobody cares whose name is on the guitar if you play it well and it sounds good. A Les Paul is a signature modal guitar. I'll bet many guitar players who own and love Les Paul's don't even think about it being a signature modal and may have never listened to any Les Paul and Mary Ford recordings. (though they are remarkable for the early 50's). If it's a good guitar, it doesn't matter. 

Personally I am looking to buy an Epiphone Johnny A guitar because the Gibson modal which sounds great, I can't afford. The new Epiphone version is $1,000 verses the Gibson at $4,000 and up. I want the guitar and don't care whose name is on it.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
A good guitar is a good guitar.  "Signature" doesn't matter one bit to me.  For example, I would play the Music Man Luke without hesitation cause I like the specs even though I have no idea who "Luke" is, nor have I heard his music. LOL