Poll: Scale length preference?
Poll Options
View poll results: Scale length preference?
24.75''
8 19%
25.5'''
19 45%
25''
2 5%
Other (Baritone, multi-scale, etc)
7 17%
It depends on the guitar (Explain in post)
6 14%
Voters: 42.
Hey all,

Thought this might be a fun little poll. What is your general preference with scale length on your guitars? Feel free to elaborate in a post, or simply answer the poll only! Keep in mind that this is just about general preference, not following some absolute rule (who wants to do that?!).

I answered "It depends on the guitar". In general, I tend to stick to 24.75'' scale guitars, but I like 25.5" for 24 fret guitars.

You?
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Last edited by FlightofIcarus at Jul 25, 2017,
I could care less,but i probably play more 25.5" if that is what you are wanting us to note.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
It doesn't matter at all, with one exception. I have a 30" bari (OLP MM knockoff) that I tune to open D, on which I use a conversion capo to get open E lap steel. I even inlaid a secondary octave marker at the 14th fret.. It also sounds very good with 13-56 strings tuned very tight to open D - I feel like I should be wearing safety glasses when I tune it - with several different pickups I've tried. I'm not sure whether it is the long, tight strings that make it sound good, or something else, but it works for me.
I will add that i don't like the fender short scale 24" guitars.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
I could care less,but i probably play more 25.5" if that is what you are wanting us to note.

Quote by trashedlostfdup
I will add that i don't like the fender short scale 24" guitars.

So you actually do care...more or less  
I would agree though. Some guitars just feel right and others don't. I don't like it though if it's too short  
Hooper drives the boat chief...
I don't really have a preference of one over the other. It depends on what exactly I'm using the guitar for.

The only thing I care about is that the scale length isn't too short for downtuning without requiring absolutely massive strings that suck high end. Though anything more than 28" isn't really going to be of much use to me for the tunings I prefer to use.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I think all guitars should have one. Or multiples thereof.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
I think I PREFER 24.75" w/ 24 frets, but mostly because quite a few of my favorite guitars have that scale, but not all. 
I started with a 22 fret 24.5" which was fine and now I have a 25.5" 24 fret 7 string which is still pretty tight on the low B so I'd say 25" for a 24 fret 6 string
95% Guitar player. 5% Piano player
Playing guitar 1 year
Grade 3/8 - Aiming for grade 6 by next August
Metal, Prog, Jazz, and Math Rock.

Guitars:
Ibanez SZ320 - Drop C -Black,
Jackson Misha HT7 - Standard - also Black,

Amp:
Ironheart IRT Studio 15w Head (I like black),
Ironheart 2x12 Cab (once you go black).
typically I go with the 24 3/4 scale 22 fret guitars. However I have found a definite affinity towards a 25" scale length. 
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
25.5 seems like a good balance to me. one of my guitars is 26.5 and it makes the guitar sound brighter which was a little weird to get used to.
not super-worried about it, but probably 25.5 if pushed, for most of the things i play.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd have to say 24" Scale since my top 2 favorite guitars are the Fender Jaguar and Fender Jag-Stang, and both of those are 24" scale instruments.  I just find they work great for getting a bit more "sting" on the high end and a bit more "boom" on the low, with all the right mids missing naturally.  

However, I do like to switch to other scale lengths for variety in sound, sometimes I'll pick up something in another scale because of tonal difference.  I own 30 guitars, and I own everything from an 18" Scale FIrst Act to a 25.5" Fender style guitars.  I love em' all.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
It wouldn't affect my buying decisions, because I'll tend to go for the "full package", as it were, so if I want something Gibsony it'll be 24.75" and if I want something Fendery it'll be 25.5" (other brands are available, I'm told), but I definitely prefer 25.5" in isolation. That said, I like guitars that are 25.5", but also guitars that are 24.75" and 24" and whatever else. It's not a huge deal for me. If it's 24" I need to have 12-54 strings on it, though, and I probably won't bend too profusely.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
24.75 and 25.5 if its a 24 fret. I feel like strats and the like have their frets way too far apart, especially the first few. 
Cort KX1Q w/ Seymour Duncan Jazz/JB
Fender Standard Stratocaster Plus Top - Aged Cherry Burst with Maple Fingerboard
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Florentine PRO Hollowbody - Faded Cherry Sunburst w/ Seymour Duncan SH-55's

Mesa Boogie Mark V 35 Head
Orange PPC112 - 60W 1x12" V30 Cabinet
Two Notes Torpedo Live
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus Universal Power Supply

Boss TU3 Chromatic Tuner -> Whirlwind Red Box Compressor -> Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive -> MXR Custom Badass '78 Distortion -> Vick Audio '73 Ram's Head -> loop -> Whirlwind Orange Box Phaser -> Mooer Eleclady Flanger -> Strymon Flint Tremolo and Reverb -> MXR Carbon Copy Delay -> MXR 10-Band EQ
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I don't really have a preference of one over the other. It depends on what exactly I'm using the guitar for.

So then you wouldn't mind giving your preferred scale length for different uses? Here is what you will be using your guitar for:

1. Playing jazz
2. Playing rock down 1 step
3. Playing badminton
4. Picking up girls
5. Paddling a canoe
6. Hitting a coyote
7. Hitting a wildebeest

Quote by trashedlostfdup
I could care less

How much less could you care?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Jul 27, 2017,
I usually go towards 25.5" scale. I'm not usually too crazy on 24.75", though most of my experiences have been on LPs of some sort, and I've come to the conclusion, I'm not a big LP guy. All but one of my guitars are 25.5" strat-style. My lone 27" scale makes the low B tighter and the definition is clearer. I haven't had enough hands on with something past a 7-string and/or 27" scale length to give a more expansive response. 
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
I like all but preffer 25'5 for 6 string. As for 7 string 26'5 to have clarity of lower tunings. I cant imagine anything with 28' scale lenght or longer sounds like bass.
I have tiny girl hands but I still use 25.5. I like the feel of it, even if I have a hard time reaching. Mostly because that's what I started on and I love my Strat.
Just a teenage girl who loves playing guitar way too much, if that's even possible.

I live for my girlfriend. <3