Hey Everyone

Very newbie question here, so apologies in advance. I got a Epiphone SG G310 like 15 years ago and haven't really played it for a good 7/8 years but just got it out of storage. I've noticed the pick ups on it look different to every photo I see of this guitar or similar online. Mine seem to be solid black rectangles, is there a reason for this? Should i replace them? Any advice appreciated

Photo here: https://ibb.co/gZafZk

Thanks
Ryan 

Those pickups could be almost anything. Have you taken them out and looked at the baseplate for clues? They might not be epoxy potted pickups but just conventional passive pickups with plastic covers on them.

If they sound good, why change them?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Those pickups could be almost anything. Have you taken them out and looked at the baseplate for clues? They might not be epoxy potted pickups but just conventional passive pickups with plastic covers on them.

If they sound good, why change them?

Agreed. 

To clarify, the color of the pickups means nothing in terms of sound. The construction of them is the big deal. Again, if they sound good, no reason to toss money at them. Pickups are a money pit that people easily fall into because while they do influence your sound, the bulk of that comes from the amp. Pickups fine-tune the sound, but can be pricey. As a n00b, blowing money on pickups is especially silly. I get the novelty of it, and it's not entirely worthless, but your amp is where the bulk of your tone comes from and should be addressed first along with becoming competent in it's use. Check all those boxes and still need refinement? Then pickups are worth a look.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
Quote by ryancmfzb
Hey Everyone

Very newbie question here, so apologies in advance. I got a Epiphone SG G310 like 15 years ago and haven't really played it for a good 7/8 years but just got it out of storage. I've noticed the pick ups on it look different to every photo I see of this guitar or similar online. Mine seem to be solid black rectangles, is there a reason for this? Should i replace them? Any advice appreciated

Photo here: https://ibb.co/gZafZk

Thanks
Ryan 

The pickups are stock, so your G310 seems to be made prior to 1997

Last edited by paruwi at Jul 27, 2017,
Quote by paruwi
 The pickups are stock, so your G310 seems to be made prior to 1997

Good find.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
ryancmfzb Awesome!!!! Don't touch it!!! LOL  Pre 1997!!!  Very cool.  I just bought a used 2012 and like it a lot!  Is that a bolt on neck?  Did G310's always have bolt on necks?