I realized that you can record a guitar by playing it through garageband on a mac. So how do you do this exactly. Its a brand new mac with type-c usb ports. And while youre doing that, can you hear what you are playing or do you have to record it then play it back to hear? And also what are your thoughts on using garageband as an amplifier? Im going to college and was hoping that i can use garage band to use as an amp instead of bringing my real amp to the dorms
Country music sucks
So how do you do this exactly.

In order to do this, you'll need to be able to connect the output from your guitar into your computer. To do that, you'll need either an adapter, or more likely, a USB audio interface. Focusrite makes fairly solid, affordable interfaces, but I'm not sure if they're compatible with type-C ports.

And while youre doing that, can you hear what you are playing or do you have to record it then play it back to hear?

If I recall properly, you have to turn monitoring on, but you can hear what you're playing.

And also what are your thoughts on using garageband as an amplifier? Im going to college and was hoping that i can use garage band to use as an amp instead of bringing my real amp to the dorms

I did this with amplitube, and it was pretty workable. Obviously it wasn't something I could gig with, and the sound wasn't as good as the real thing, but my dorm had a really strict noise policy so I had to get something silent, and it was a solid way to go that also let me record.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
necrosis1193
Thanks for the info. I just found a 1/4 jack to type c adapter on ebay for $1.29. So hopefully itll work out alright for me like it did you
Country music sucks
Quote by CENSORED.
necrosis1193
Thanks for the info. I just found a 1/4 jack to type c adapter on ebay for $1.29. So hopefully itll work out alright for me like it did you

Best of luck mate, both with the adapter and with college!
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
M-Audio makes some cheap shit that will hook up your guitar direct into your mac. that's what i used to record a ton of stuff and actually sounded awesome with the garage band effects. if you plan to take recording to a higher level, get something that is pro-tools compatible.
It's all about feel
hopespaul
I finally got my adapter to plug into my mac and it wont sense it as an output so i guess ill have to check out that m-audiobstuff and hopefully they will work
Country music sucks