Hi. I'm a bass guitarist and I'd love to play some guitar decently, but the scale just feels incredibly wrong to me.
There's this thing called Bass VI, for those that don't know, which is an instrument designed by Leo Fender that was a shortscale (30", opposed to 34") six strinf bass tuned E-e but one octave lower, basically a bass with two extra high strings.
For years (along with Hofners) it was considered a "guitarist's bass". But what if one used it as a "bassist's guitar"? Like, with something such as .07-38 Billy Gibbons strings? Do you think it could work?

For info on the strings and the reason I think it could work:
 Yes I know I'll have to replace bridge and nut.
Last edited by uno234567otto at Jul 27, 2017,
Could do B-standard, BEADF#B.

A word of caution: might want to be careful what strings you put on, because with my Septor 727, I found the usual suspects don't cut it for length. Make sure you get strings specifically for the Bass VI.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.
Quote by bjgrifter
Could do B-standard, BEADF#B.

A word of caution: might want to be careful what strings you put on, because with my Septor 727, I found the usual suspects don't cut it for length. Make sure you get strings specifically for the Bass VI.

Does indeed, some baritones have 30" scale and do just fine.
I've found the standard 7-string D'Addario and Ernie Ball strings weren't long enough for the Low-B and Low-E strings with the in-line Septor headstock. I did find LaBella's HRS series to work. I also know there are specific Bass VI string sets around. 
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.
Quote by uno234567otto
Hi. I'm a bass guitarist and I'd love to play some guitar decently, but the scale just feels incredibly wrong to me.
There's this thing called Bass VI, for those that don't know, which is an instrument designed by Leo Fender that was a shortscale (30", opposed to 34") six strinf bass tuned E-e but one octave lower, basically a bass with two extra high strings.
For years (along with Hofners) it was considered a "guitarist's bass". But what if one used it as a "bassist's guitar"? Like, with something such as .07-38 Billy Gibbons strings? Do you think it could work?

Why bother? There are a number of 30" scale guitars out there that you could simply buy and use as is.

For exampe: http://www.rondomusic.com/IntrepidPro_630MNEMG_Charcoaldot.html

My suggestion, however, would be to pick up a 27" scale guitar instead. That's still a longer scale than most guitars, but short enough to tune to E standard with really good results (jazz players do it routinely). If your ambition is to "play some guitar decently," you're going to find it seriously difficult to do on a 30" scale. The physical truth is that you can't bend far enough across the fretboard on a 30" guitar to do even some of the basic bends you'll want, and you won't be able to barre a chord in the cowboy chord range and still extend your little finger to do some of the basic chord changes you'll need.

I went through the opposite hijinks trying to learn to play bass decently. Learning to put down the pick and use two and three fingers (plus thumb) on a 34" bass had me wondering why I'd bothered. But each instrument is distinct, and you can't really carry over what you want to from one to the other and do a good job of it.
Last edited by dspellman at Jul 27, 2017,
dspellman 100% agreed with this. I don't think you'll be doing yourself any favors trying to learn guitar like that. 

It's something you get used to and eventually you're be able to switch back and forth between guitar and bass without much issue. When I was playing bass for one band and guitar for another, it became natural pretty quickly to switch between them.