Thanks to everyone who helped me out on my previous amp thread. Just looking for some final thoughts. I am thinking of trading my Peavey Studio Windsor+$225 for a Traynor YCV80. The Peavey was free(long story) so essentially this amp is costing me $225. I'm guessing I'd be a fool to pass?
I'm looking to the early 60s Marshall tones and I've been told this is the way to go. Plus, I'm thinking about joining a band and gigging and I'm assuming this would be more than enough power
Last edited by dallaspezz at Jul 27, 2017,
Quote by dallaspezz
Thanks to everyone who helped me out on my previous amp thread. Just looking for some final thoughts. I am thinking of trading my Peavey Studio Windsor+$225 for a Traynor YCV80. The Peavey was free(long story) so essentially this amp is costing me $225. I'm guessing I'd be a fool to pass?
I'm looking to the early 60s Marshall tones and I've been told this is the way to go. Plus, I'm thinking about joining a band and gigging and I'm assuming this would be more than enough power

while not a bad deal you may be a bit disappointed. early 60s (really more like mid 60s)  Marshall tones are all about volume and power amp distortion. unless you have a place where cranking the amp up to ear splitting volumes you just aren't going to get that. 
Volume is not really an issue where I am. And as I said, I want to join a band sometime soon and want to have the extra volume.
Plus, even if I am disappointed; I could easily resell it and get my money back.
Spec's wise the Tray' would get my vote, but I have no idea how gig worthy they are.

Lots out there these days... GC has a boatload of used gig worthy amps around the $450-$500 mark... Peavey, Fender, Marshall, Laney, etc...
I used to have a YCV80 with teh 4x10 configuration,, not sure if you are looking at teh 4x10 or the 2x12. One drawback is that it is heavy, a plus for gigging is that it has a metal grill behind the grill cloth so you don't have to worry about the speakers getting kicked in on stage. Also comes with a cab simulated DI out which can work well if micing is difficult or not practical in a situation. Definitely a gig worthy amp.

Give it a try and see what you think, not sure how the gain is going to match what you are expecting. You may want to look at a used Traynor YCV50B, there are a couple used on Kijiji in my area for about $100-$150 above what you are looking to spend on the YCV80. The 50 is know to be more marshall voiced where the  YCV40 and 80 are meant more to compete with fender amps
Quote by guitarsngear
The 50 is know to be more marshall voiced where the  YCV40 and 80 are meant more to compete with fender amps

If that is the case then it might would not be smart to get a Fender voiced amp for a Marshall application. The 5881 output section seems to hint at that more. The YCV80 also comes with 70/80 speakers, which methinks OP would ultimately want to replace. The YCV50 comes with a Vintage 30 and it is much more upfront about its British character. It looks like that can be found for under $400.

Other cheaper options include ValveKings and Jet City amps. I would say try to find a 2x12 model or find a head/cab format.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jul 28, 2017,
It's the 4x10. I ended up getting it and yes, it's insanely heavy. I think it is pretty close to what I'm looking for. I still need to give it some more time to dial everything in.
its a good amp, only got rid of mine because I wanted something smaller and easier to move around. I traded it for the 40, but i think the 80 has a nicer tone.