Hello!

I'm trying to play Treasure, by Bruno Mars. It's a groovy rhythm, and only 3 strings are used most of the time (2, 3 and 4), since all chords are triads.

In all chords, I can mute the lowest strings with my strumming hand or touching them with fretting fingers. The high E can be muted with my fretting hand whenever I fret a string with the tip of my finger and gently rest agains the E.

But there is a Cm, with E shape (8th fret), and I barre the 2 and 3 strings. Consequently, the high E gets fretted as well and sounds really off.

Any tips on muting or not playing this string?
Try using just the top three strings... all the way through, so all the funky stabs are clean and sharp. You should be able to slap the strings cleanly just focusing on the rhythm... since you are already turning the sound of the chords on and off by raking between squeezing the fingering, any bottom string noise will just be a little more raking between the chords, which will sound perfect.

[x][x][x][5][4][3] Abmaj7

[x][x][x][3][3][3] Gm

[x][x][x][1][1][1] Fm

[x][x][x][8][8][8] Cm

[x][x][x][7][6][6] Bb

[x][x][x][5][4][6] Bb 11 (intro and turnaround chord)

[x][x][x][10][11][10] Bb (used only once at 2:08)
Quote by reverb66
I'm pretty sure the Bible requires that you play through a tube amp in Texas.
Hello!

Thanks for your inputs! And I'm sorry for taking a little long to answer, I've been away from the internet on the last couple of days!

I could use all triads on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd strings, but there is a problem...

The Gm and Fm are 7th chords, so they are Gm7 and Fm7. On this song (and many disco/funk songs), the root is omited, because it is already being played on the bass. I'm not sure the chords without the 7th work.

So, the Gm7, would not be  [x][x][x][3][3][3], but [x][x][x][3][3][1], which is just the same as [x][x][8][6][5][x]. Following this logic, It is impossible to use the same voicing of triad on the first 3 strings, since I'd have to go a step lower to play Fm7. Thus, for Fm7, I'd have to go back to [x][x][6][5][4][x].

For the Cm, I found that the chord on the 3rd fret works better than on the 8th, again because of the omiting root on the highest string. So, it is like [x][x][5][5][4][3].

What do you think?

All best!
I think you are trying to figure out what you think is the way the song goes.
You need to listen to the song and figure out what and how it is being played.

For example, although the progression goes Abmaj7 -> Gm7 -> Fm7, the guitar is not playing full chords. Just because the chord of the moment is a minor seventh does not mean you necessarily play the flat 7th.

Because of the the lead-in with the Abmaj7 chord (which is played as if Cm triad C Eb G)  the fundamental structure is:

G/Ab -> F/G -> Eb/F  (first of each pair on the D string, second on the low E string)

If you can hear that, then the rest falls into place.
Quote by reverb66
I'm pretty sure the Bible requires that you play through a tube amp in Texas.
Quote by YellowCat

But there is a Cm, with E shape (8th fret), and I barre the 2 and 3 strings. Consequently, the high E gets fretted as well and sounds really off.

Any tips on muting or not playing this string?

You could use your pinky to mute the high E string.

But yeah, it's certainly possible to do without using your pinky to mute the high E. It has to do with the angle of your index finger and how you apply pressure. So play around with that. Try to apply more pressure near the tip of your index finger, and try to change the angle of your finger so that you only fret the notes on the 2nd and 3rd strings (well, these things are kind of related to each other).

And yes, the way you are playing the riff is correct, though in the chorus you should use the voicings in Jerry's post.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I play this song with 4 note voicings, which obviates the muting issue on the D string. Not that it matters much; this kind of muting shouldn't be too tough.

You should do two things: 1) Work on funk strumming precision, and 2) Use your index finger to barre the E and B strings while muting the D A E strings. Half barre, half mute. 

xxx888
xxx766
xxx544
Last edited by cdgraves at Aug 1, 2017,
Quote by MaggaraMarine
You could use your pinky to mute the high E string.

But yeah, it's certainly possible to do without using your pinky to mute the high E. It has to do with the angle of your index finger and how you apply pressure. So play around with that. Try to apply more pressure near the tip of your index finger, and try to change the angle of your finger so that you only fret the notes on the 2nd and 3rd strings (well, these things are kind of related to each other).

And yes, the way you are playing the riff is correct, though in the chorus you should use the voicings in Jerry's post.

Thank you! I have to learn to mute the high E with my index!

Quote by cdgraves
I play this song with 4 note voicings, which obviates the muting issue on the D string. Not that it matters much; this kind of muting shouldn't be too tough.

You should do two things: 1) Work on funk strumming precision, and 2) Use your index finger to barre the E and B strings while muting the D A E strings. Half barre, half mute. 

xxx888
xxx766
xxx544

Thanks! I've tried playing it with 4 note voicings, but I still prefer the 3 note. Only the Cm I'm playing 4 note. I have no idea how I'm learning this muting technique. I'll need to practice a lot!

Thank you!
Quote by YellowCat
Thanks! I've tried playing it with 4 note voicings, but I still prefer the 3 note. Only the Cm I'm playing 4 note. I have no idea how I'm learning this muting technique. I'll need to practice a lot!

Thank you!

It's the same as a regular barre with the index finger, except you only apply pressure to the B and high E strings.