I'm thinking about getting one of these amps, but I don't wanna go wrong with the money (Over 200$). I've always liked Marshall, and I want one for my own (I've played some Marshalls at school etc.). Any help?
Who says they're good? The salesman?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Lemme answer that question in the title with a big, fat NO.

They're infamous for being overpriced junk. But they get GLOWING reviews from thousands of kids on Amazon and UG reviews who have absolutely zero prior experience with owning guitar amps and thus do not know any better. It would be very shortsighted to rely on those players to give a remotely unbiased review or to hold a perspective that is of much credibility against someone of more experience.

It isn't until you can afford something like a DSL40 that anything with a Marshall badge on it is actually worth owning. Anything cheaper than that and there are alternatives from brands like Peavey that wipe the floor with them.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
who are these people and why haven't they been killed yet  . the MG series appeals to guys like you that want a "Marshall" cuz after all they are awesome. sadly it is there higher end tube models that are awesome and the SS ones just plain fall short of the sound that people expect. as Roc said give us a budget and we'll help you out
Ok my Marshall MG did its job from age 12 to age 18 but the instant I actually like... played a tube amp I regretted asking my parents to pay for something so obviously terrible.
Quote by pinheadslts75
Ok my Marshall MG did its job from age 12 to age 18 but the instant I actually like... played a tube amp I regretted asking my parents to pay for something so obviously terrible.

and you are the exact market they aim for with these. to be fair there are certainly worse amps than a MG but they usually cost far less. nobody expects a 12 yr old to be a tone expert or even know much at all. the MG is a pure case of branding
It's the worst amp I've ever played.  I wouldn't take one for free; but if I did, it would be for shotgun practice. 
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
At this I'm almost convinced to just tell people to get one as a rite of passage.

Tuff lurve
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
So to move on from trash talking the MG, here are some viable alternatives in the price range:

• Boss Katana series - seriously solid amps for the money. Good amp models and pretty much every Boss pedal built in. It's hard to want for more in this price range.
  • Peavey Vypyr - again, really good modeler, pretty much universally praised around the forums for good reason.
  • Line 6 Spider - yeah, yeah, I'll get shit for this, but they're good, easy to use amps for beginners. My Spider got me through years of playing guitar without me wanting more until I started playing with other people. Oh, and it's still worlds better than the Marshall MG.
Last edited by ExDementia at Jul 28, 2017,
BenjaminFeiring As others have said, they are not good. If you are a really good player and you know how to work the equipment, you can get them sounding ~okay. There are better options. The only people that say they are good are the salesmen who sell them, and kids who do not know any better (and deluded adults). You will end up growing out of many of the amps in that price range within a very short amount of time. The MG's survive because of branding. 
Quote by ExDementia
So to move on from trash talking the MG, here are some viable alternatives in the price range:

Boss Katana series - seriously solid amps for the money. Good amp models and pretty much every Boss pedal built in. It's hard to want for more in this price range.

Peavey Vypyr - again, really good modeler, pretty much universally praised around the forums for good reason.

Line 6 Spider - yeah, yeah, I'll get shit for this, but they're good, easy to use amps for beginners. My Spider got me through years of playing guitar without me wanting more until I started playing with other people. Oh, and it's still worlds better than the Marshall MG.

+1. The Spider V's are not as awful as their predecessors, but they are a bit overpriced IMO. The 12'' speaker model is $400 new, but anything less than a 12'' speaker and you have a nasally pile of junk. You can find them for $300 used which is a little better. It seems to me the Katana series focused more on getting a dead simple interface with pretty high quality simulations (dirt is nice, cleans are meh to me) and all at a cheap price, while the Spider V focused on getting a complex interface with not great sounding simulations, at kind of a pricey price point.

Other options include the Yamaha THR series which are not bad. Or a POD HD500 used is around $250- you will not have any loudness but it would work fine with proper headphones, and it will sound really good in comparison to the MG or Spider algorithms. It is even used in professional settings. You could also find Peavey ValveKings or Jet City amps in that price range, too. Just avoid the MG.
Quote by ExDementia

Boss Katana series - seriously solid amps for the money. Good amp models and pretty much every Boss pedal built in. It's hard to want for more in this price range.

Peavey Vypyr - again, really good modeler, pretty much universally praised around the forums for good reason.

Line 6 Spider - yeah, yeah, I'll get shit for this, but they're good, easy to use amps for beginners. My Spider got me through years of playing guitar without me wanting more until I started playing with other people. Oh, and it's still worlds better than the Marshall MG.

Good solid choices here. 
Comparing a Spider to an MG is akin to comparing dog shit to cat shit. You don't want either in your sandwich.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Comparing a Spider to an MG is akin to comparing dog shit to cat shit. You don't want either in your sandwich.

well enough of that shit then, 
I wouldn't take our word as gospel for anything, though. At the end of the day it's all about what works for you. People around here would shit on Line 6 even if it sounded identical to anything else listed here as a better option. Not saying they're great amps, they're just no where near as bad as they say.

It's not logic or fact, it's a narrative.
Last edited by ExDementia at Jul 29, 2017,
Quote by ExDementia
I wouldn't take our word as gospel for anything, though. At the end of the day it's all about what works for you. People around here would shit on Line 6 even if it sounded identical to anything else listed here as a better option. Not saying they're great amps, they're just no where near as bad as they say.

It's not logic or fact, it's a narrative.

Um, no.

There are many accounts of Line 6 making good quality products. The Helix is definitely a competitive product compared to similar ones from different brands at similar prices. The DT series hybrid modellers sound really good and are a good value. And when it comes to convenience and versatility in a live setting, the Variax systems are in a class of their own and they sound fantastic. 

Being biased against the brand has has nothing to do with it.

But the Spider V amps? Not so much. There are simply too many other brands out there that make the same sort of product for the same price that just sound better and some of the key features of the Spider V that make it unique to other cheap modellers are ultimately poorly executed, particularly on the Spiders that are smaller than the 120. It's just not a competitive product.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend