I have a Peavey Vypyr 15w. Obviously, I play metal with it. I'm sure these are stupid questions, but first, would a noisegate work if it was the only pedal I used? Second, would an overdrive pedal like an MXR classic, GT OD, tube screamer, or (very unlikely) an EVH 5105 overdrive pedal work to give me a new metal tone, or would it sound fuzzy or the same? Finally, anyone have a Vypyr and have a good setting for metal? Thanks anybody
Last edited by ThirdArmBoxer at Jul 28, 2017,
First off, this will be moved to Gear and Accessories, anyway...

Are you getting feedback that you need the noise gate for? Seems unlikely at bedroom volumes.

Modeling amps don't really tend to work too well with boost pedals like that, unless you just use the clean channel on the amp and rely on a distortion pedal for your whole sound, which is still just a stopgap solution for getting a decent amp.

Do you just need something for practicing at home or do you plan on playing with drums or live shows anytime soon?
ExDementia there's a setting on the amp that I think could sound good if there was no noise, and yeah I am going to get some cheap blackstar tube amp eventually, but I'm kind of broke right now and will be for a while, and no, I'm just a little tired of the same tone, I want something new. Would you have any advice for getting a "cleaner" distorted tone, a little less pantera like, a little more Shogun/Vengeance Falls trivium like? Thanks
Quote by ThirdArmBoxer
ExDementia there's a setting on the amp that I think could sound good if there was no noise, and yeah I am going to get some cheap blackstar tube amp eventually, but I'm kind of broke right now and will be for a while, and no, I'm just a little tired of the same tone, I want something new. Would you have any advice for getting a "cleaner" distorted tone, a little less pantera like, a little more Shogun/Vengeance Falls trivium like? Thanks

obviously it doesn't sound good. dude you have a practice amp that has limited capabilites. no point in spending a bunch of money when getting a better amp would be the solution.  sounds to me like you are pouring on the distortion way to much try backing off. what guitar are you using? 
monwobobbo jackson JS32. I mean i know it's better just to get a better amp but I just can't and I won't be able to for a while. The setting I'm talking about I was trying a long time ago when I was still scooping mids and crap, but seriously, would a noise gate work without other pedals or not?
ThirdArmBoxer  never tried a noise gate with a modeling amp. the shitty little speaker in that can be an issue to as it isn't up to reproducing any bass heavy tones. 
A noise gate isn't going to clean up your tone or tighten up your distortion, if that's what you're looking for. A noise gate is for keeping things quiet at rest and stopping feedback -- something that really shouldn't be an issue with a little modeling amp playing at bedroom levels.

I guess first we need to establish what kind of budget we're working with here. What do you have to spend?
As a shitty tone enthusiast, I can tell you right now I played my Jackson with an EHX double muff through a little Marshall practice amp (clean channel).  It worked good enough for me until I could afford other gear.  

The key is with these practice amps, don't layer the distortion.  This goes for high end tube amps too.  Get a pedal you like and put it on a nice clean setting and BAM you got a new amp.  
"I definitely don’t write all my music in a blackout, like I used to, although I did come up with some good stuff in a blackout."
-Matt Fucking Pike
I use an ISP Decimator with my Vypyr 30, and it does the job. I was inspired after seeing some teen on Youtube ripping metal licks with the amp and the Decimator. My idiot opinion is that a noise gate isn't a problem with a budget SS because of the aim of the pedal. Not an expert, but that's my 2 cents.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
Quote by ThirdArmBoxer
monwobobbo jackson JS32. I mean i know it's better just to get a better amp but I just can't and I won't be able to for a while. The setting I'm talking about I was trying a long time ago when I was still scooping mids and crap, but seriously, would a noise gate work without other pedals or not?

A noise gate is not going to make the amp sound better. Put on a brave face and bear it until you can afford a better quality amp. You're too limited as to what you can do with the amp you have.

Maybe get a job if you don't have one to fund better gear?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by ThirdArmBoxer

You've asked this question twice now. "Will a noise gate work without other pedals?" And the answer you've gotten is, "a noise gate won't make your amp sound better." Wtf.

The answer is yes, a noise gate will work independent of additional pedals. If you're getting unwanted hiss and noise, it could help. Best way to know is to try one. Similarly, the pedal. I wouldn't suggest just trying an OD pedal to boost a distorted tone in that amp. Instead I'd suggest putting a distortion pedal in front of a clean tone. Find a place with a decent return policy, buy your noise gate and 5150 OD pedal, and give them a shot.
Guitars
- Strandberg OS6, Strandberg CL7, Gibson LP Studio, S570DXQM, RG7421, Mayer Strat, Partscaster

Amps
- TC-50, Mark Five:25, Invective (soon), Vypyr 60
Quote by ThirdArmBoxer

You've asked this question twice now. "Will a noise gate work without other pedals?" And the answer you've gotten is, "a noise gate won't make your amp sound better." Wtf.

The answer is yes, a noise gate will work independent of additional pedals. If you're getting unwanted hiss and noise, it could help. Best way to know is to try one. Similarly, the pedal. I wouldn't suggest just trying an OD pedal to boost a distorted tone in that amp. Instead I'd suggest putting a distortion pedal in front of a clean tone. Find a place with a decent return policy, buy your noise gate and 5150 OD pedal, and give them a shot.

Edit: I do have a Vypyr 60 but it's a somewhat different animal. And I don't use it anymore. I remember there were lots of usable metal tones in there. 6505 and Dzl were my favorites. Can't remember actual settings though.
Guitars
- Strandberg OS6, Strandberg CL7, Gibson LP Studio, S570DXQM, RG7421, Mayer Strat, Partscaster

Amps
- TC-50, Mark Five:25, Invective (soon), Vypyr 60