I won't be doing it any time really soon, but I will likely be putting new humbuckers my one of my favorite guitars eventually. Does anyone have any resources or videos or something like that that are really good, fairly simple, and helpful for a nervous beginner? Also, never soldered before, any advice on the best cheap soldering kit? Any other tips or tricks would also be appreciated. Thanks
Thread was moved to forum: Gear Building & Customizing
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I moved it to the proper forum. Lots of helpful, knowledgeable UGers in this forum with loads of experience doing exactly what you're asking about,

Which is as much help as I can offer. I'm not really a hands-on gear modder, unlike Cathbard, trashedlostfdup and others.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

ThirdArmBoxer, when I first started soldering ~11 years ago, I started off with a $15 RadioShack kit (Iron + solder) and watched a bunch of YouTube videos.  It was appropriate for the the simple PU and tone pot upgrades. I practiced soldering everything to anything until I got the feel for it.
take a picture before you unsolder any connections, put it back together the same way.  watch a youtube video on how to solder.  changing pickups is really simple, you should have no problems.
Soldering is easy, I use a 40w variable iron with an iron tip for electronics soldering. If you use pickups of different makes they could have different wire colour codes, and you could end up with the pickups out-of-phase. I always do a phase test on mixed pickups to get the wires the right way around. It is very easy if you have a multimeter.
Quote by Tony Done
Soldering is easy, I use a 40w variable iron with an iron tip for electronics soldering. If you use pickups of different makes they could have different wire colour codes, and you could end up with the pickups out-of-phase. I always do a phase test on mixed pickups to get the wires the right way around. It is very easy if you have a multimeter.

or just look at the wiring diagram that comes with the pickups.

the best way to learn is to jump in and do it!  its really not complicated at all.
kentrock

The wiring diagram will tell you what to wire where wrt that pickup make, but it won't tell you anything about matching them with other makes. If they come with magnetic polarity and coil direction diagrams, you could figure it out from that, but it is easy to test, and ultimately more reliable.
Quote by Tony Done
kentrock

The wiring diagram will tell you what to wire where wrt that pickup make, but it won't tell you anything about matching them with other makes. If they come with magnetic polarity and coil direction diagrams, you could figure it out from that, but it is easy to test, and ultimately more reliable.

What if you dont know how to use a multimeter?
IOW, time to learn!

Someone recc a good multimeter to our fellow UGer!

Quote by dannyalcatraz

Someone recc a good multimeter to our fellow UGer!

You don't even need a good multimeter.  For amps and pedals you need a good one but for the guitar's electronics the cheapest digital one you can find on ebay or at your local hardware store will be good enough.

Not taking any online orders.
Quote by Explorerbuilder
Ive been wiring pickups for 12 years and never once used a multimeter.

Multimeter are usually only needed when things go wrong. 
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
You don't even need a good multimeter.  For amps and pedals you need a good one but for the guitar's electronics the cheapest digital one you can find on ebay or at your local hardware store will be good enough.

OTOH, if you're going down the DIY path, buying one good enough to do all of that is potentially a money and space saver.

Tony Done Thanks a bunch for the help, but could you explain magnetic polarity and wiring direction (and how to test it) in really really simple terms? I have about sixteen minutes of expertise from a couple youtube videos and i don't believe they mentioned that
Last edited by ThirdArmBoxer at Sep 4, 2017,
This is a reasonable explanation of phase and humbucking:

http://www.planetz.com/pickup-magnetic-polarity-and-phase/

I test phase by connecting the pickups to a multimeter set on the low mV range, noting which pickup wire goes to which probe, say yellow to red probe and white to black probe. I then flick a piece of steel, eg a screwdriver, quickly off the pickup poles and see which way the voltage goes, either positive or negative. I do it a few times until I am sure of the result. Two pickup will be in phase when wired to the multimeter to give the same voltage change. For example, if yellow-to-red and white-to-black yield positive on one pickup, and red-to-red and black-to-black also yield positive on another you will know that the two pickups will be in phase if the yellow and red wires are wired as either hot or ground, but would be out of phase it you went yellow-to-hot on one and black-to-hot on the other.
Soldering isn't really hard. Just keep in mind that they get hot, and you want to keep that puppy on a non-flammable surface or holster when not using it. I use a plate from the kitchen for the few times I do solder. Look up some videos on soldering; it's easy, but you just need to be careful with something that hot. 
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
You don't have to spend much to get a pretty usable iron.
For example, this kit includes pretty much everything mentioned in this thread plus a better stand, a de-soldering pump, some tweezers, some extra tips (I'd use the wedge shaped one), and a screwdriver.
https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Temperature-Multimeter-Desoldering-Electronic/dp/B073VDX4B7/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1504867097&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=soldering+iron&psc=1

Just watch some videos on youtube (I recommend BigCliveDotCom) and it's just something you get the hang of with time. 

Also, make sure you keep the tip of the iron clean. I wipe it everytime I pick it up or put it down on a brass scourer (like this) 
https://vetco.net/spree/products/47752/original/XY-460.jpg?1464802458

In terms of wiring a guitar with only the bridge pickup, is it just a single humbucker or some knobs too?