I've just been looking at a number of new pedals, some of which have eight (!) knobs.

One had 17 LEDs, another had six miniswitches.

These are pedals designed to do ONE main job, not multiFX.

Premier Guitar has a number of these in their pedal roundup, and I'm just curious how useful you think these really are? What happens if you've got one pet sound for one song and another for a second song that requires changing nearly everything? Are you down on your hands and knees with a flashlight? Do you need to have a journal handy to make all the changes? Can you really tell, at a glance, where you're set on a dark stage, looking at a pedalboard full of glowing LEDs? Do you see these as practical for live work, or are they mostly best for recording or messing around at home?

*phew*

Are these things getting out of hand?

What would you buy?
Different tools for different needs. If you want adjustability then get a pedal with many knobs. If you don't want adjustability then get a pedal with few knobs.

If you like the tone of the multi-knob pedal, but are a set-and-forget type person then lock the knobs in place with tape or rubber washers.
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
For me personally, yeah, I don't need most of that. But I'm not that big of an effects user and I tend to use pretty basic settings that can be achieved with a few knobs- as 8Len8 said, if other people need them, that's absolutely fair enough. I like having the choice.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If it gets me the sound I want and like, I don't care how many knobs and toggles and LED's it has, to be honest. If it can do what I want with only the on-off switch, by all means I'm game, but in most cases I like to have as much control as possible.
I have some pedals that are fairly complex- like the Pigtronix Mothership- and others that are quite simple, like the Ohnoho Chk Chk Boom. Just like the variety of knives and pans in my kitchen, each serves a purpose.

Is it possible to get lost in the forest of options the multi-knobbers have? Sure. But I can always take photos of the settings I like and want to remember.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I've found it takes a lot of self-discipline with things like that, as there is a strong temptation to spend more time fiddling with them than playing. I've given up on digital mulitFX for that reason, and my pedals now tend to stay at one setting regardless of the number of knobs. - But my needs are fairly simple.
Welcome to the 21st century. Pedals are very versatile today and cover a wide range. The more you can expand your market the more you can sell. Provided you do it well of course. Not to mention people have gotten so use to volume and tone controls on a pedal they may not sell well without them.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
I generally like having tons of knobs on my pedals. I don't use many effects, but the few that I do use, I want to have as much control/customization as possible.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
I like my distortions, overdrives, fuzz with 5 knobs (level, gain, 3 band eq): Muffs, tube screamers, heavier dirt pedals.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Aug 1, 2017,