Alright I know this is gonna sound hella dumb, but I’ve been vegetarian for almost 6 months, but my mom just offered me $500 dollars if I stopped being it. This offer fucked my head up cuz i have no idea what to do . I could use those $500 plus another $100 that I already have to buy an Agile Septor Elite 828, or continue being vegetarian and having to wait about 6 months for me to save up for $500 . What would you guys do ?
I have...no idea what to do with this thread. It isn't really about guitars, and it's more of a family dynamics/relationships question, but I can also see why you might not want to post it in the pit. 

Let's give it a shot here, please try to keep replies serious and on-topic, thanks
Roc8995 thank you, I just don’t know now where to post this haha, so I was like , it’s about maybe buying a new 8 string , so might as well put it in the guitar section
Values are arbitrary and your lone contribution to the universe is so miniscule that no amount of comparative empathy will change the course of history and our inevitable, undialectical destruction, adorable animals included. As a vegetarian your compassion is primarily directed towards farm animals as seen in McDonalds resturaunt artwork or that one George Orwell book where Stalin was a chicken or some shit, and following even a vegan diet still kills a great number of animals. The great wandering monk, hermit and poet Ryokan Taigu is said to have allowed mosquitos to feed upon him in his sleep out of love for all beings, but even he in winter months would have acceded to the hungers of the body and enjoyed fish from the village at the base of the mountain.

Ok that's enough Pit

Shit is expensive and Agile guitars are quite nice. Well-built 8-strings are expensive as hell and Agiles are some of the few which are both affordable and not Total Bloody Garbage. Lying is easy. Your mother is trying to manipulate you into doing what she wants based on what I presume is an ill-informed understanding of the diet. Take it as an opportunity. For one, you get a guitar, and two, you will be able to subtly control the power dynamic so that the likelihood of more authoritarian styles of parenting is reduced. Have an extremely low-meat diet (that way you get by on a technicality) and have a nice guitar for free. Perhaps do your chores a little more rigorously if you feel guilt about it but hey, how often are you going to be able to afford new guitars when you're a working adult, least of which an 8-string, which usually have higher prices and require more maintenance than your standard axes do?

I put way too much time into this post so here's a picture to represent your struggle and help you make a decision

they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Last edited by Banjocal at Jul 29, 2017,
Banjocalomfg , dude I appreciate this response a loooot , it makes me think in a different way and i might end up making the deal with her, I can eat some meat plus a new fucking guitar haha, one I move out I can do whatever I want with my diet .
It seems some introspection will be required.

If you really want to eat meat, eat meat. Don't look for an excuse...but DO take the $$$ if offered. If, OTOH, you have health and/or ethical reasons for adopting vegetarianism, I say stick to your guns. Just don't be a dick about it.

I say that because your Mom wouldn't have made that offer if your vegetarianism were not causing some friction- it didn't come out of the aether. It could be a militant, holier-than-thou attitude on your part. It could be concern on her part for your health (properly healthy vegetarian diets require some thought & planning). It could be peer pressure from friends & family. It could be a bunch of other things besides, or a combination of several of them.

Do you know why she made the offer?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I'd seriously question my motives for being a vegetarian if a one time 500 dollar gift was enough to give up on my ideals, to be honest. I'd save up and in 6 months when you can buy that guitar you want as a gift for standing up for something you believe in.
The question to me seems to me to be, WHY are you a vegetarian? If it is for strong ethical beliefs, then how seriously do you take that? If it is just something to try, then maybe it's not THAT big of a deal to give up. I'd assume you don't need to do it for health concerns because I imagine your mother would support that.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
also while stuff about health and vegetarianism is usually overblown, do at least consider that if it is about health concerns, you NEED to be able to demonstrate that that's not a concern. If you are eating like crap - and you may not be the best judge of what constitutes "crap" - she may well have a point at least for now. Have you asked her what her motivations are?

Maybe look into ethics a little, it might help you find what you believe and why you believe it, help you justify your values when you're asked about them. There are some decent philosophy channels that deal with vegetarianism (School of Life, Wireless Philosophy, Philosophy Tube are decent starting points). Peter Singer offers an interesting perspective on vegetarianism, maybe look up a video of him chatting with Dawkins for a very particular take on the matter. 

But do also consider yourself. Being a good 8 string player takes time and practice, and the sooner you start the better, you dig? And money is made of linen, not tree leaves.
ha-haaa
Last edited by Banjocal at Jul 29, 2017,
Eat a steak and buy the friggin guitar. It's just a cow, man.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by dementiacaptain
The question to me seems to me to be, WHY are you a vegetarian?  If it is for strong ethical beliefs, then how seriously do you take that?  If it is just something to try, then maybe it's not THAT big of a deal to give up.  I'd assume you don't need to do it for health concerns because I imagine your mother would support that.

After seeing the documentary What the Health, I wanted (just) to go vegan.  

I eased off the animal protein and some dairy products except ice cream (still about a quart each evening) and started eating even more fruits and veggies and less cows, chicken, fish, and pigs. So far, the body hasn't craved for anything and I feel healthier (could be all in the mind).

pabloi_zx3, take the $500 then ease off the food with faces after 2 weeks.  
take the $500 then ease off the food with faces after 2 weeks.

I couldn't cheat my Mom on the deal like that.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

be your own man. plus 500 dollars to give up your beliefs....your mom is low balling you
i'm going to be honest for a second...the world is fucked and there's really nothing we can do to fix it. so do whatever makes you happy.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by Ippon
It's not cheating. If it is, make her understand and do something nice.

As worded, I think it is. Promising to "stop being a vegetarian for $500" is rather nebulous, but taking the money and reneging after 2 weeks would violate the spirit and letter of the agreement. IMHO.

Id have a burger if I were you.  A double bacon cheese burger.  Rare.  Dripping in juices.  And get a genuine lather guitar strap, nothing smells better than leather, other than a double bacon cheeseburger.  Then take the $500 and buy something nice for your mom.
I would take the money wait a while and start vegetarian food after. I say a few weeks maybe a month.
????
I asked my Mom for some perspective.

1) She suggested that your vegetarian lifestyle may be adding complexity and costs to the process of feeding the family.

2) She agreed with me that it would feel like a violation of the deal to her if the deal were reneged upon in a couple of weeks. By her way of thinking, the deal should stand at least until the other party to the deal was living independently. IOW, her house, her rules. Or more accurately, her house, deal obeyed.

pabloi_zx3 The only people who are "more moral" than veggans, are former smokers. And both of those categories of people, can come off as incredibly self righteous if not outright intolerable.

I'm a former smoker, but I make an honest effort at humility, opening with , I used to smoke, and god damn, you'll never know how good that cigarette smells to me. And as a bonus, that's the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. I don't preach, but I will explain the benefits of giving up should anyone ask.

Being a vegitarian for a reasonably short time, you're probably still in a "crusade state of mind". "I'm a veggan, and you should be one too, final answer".

It seems strange to be suggesting to you that, since you're under your parents roof, and one of their rules is that you should eat meat, you should probably, "let them throw YOU a bone" once in awhile.

I don't know, for me, 8 string guitars, metal music, and loud amps, seem to cry out for a Porterhouse once in awhile.

Besides, they're obviously not going to force you to eat meat with every meal. Plus, if mom's the chef, it will do her heart good to feel that her efforts to turn out a tasty, satisfying meal have not gone unnoticed, or in vain. She may not intend to take your refusing to eat her cooking personally, but mom's are mom's, and she likely can't help to feel at least a bit that way.

So sharpen up the steak knives, get a free 8 stringer, and if you feel you've sacrificed your high minded ideals, punish yourself by practicing an extra hour or so on days when that feeling overtakes you. That's what I'd call a "win, (meat protein), win, (free new 8 string), win. The extra hour of punishment or practice, call it what you will, will most likely make you a better guitarist.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jul 30, 2017,
dannyalcatraz That's why he only needs to eat, like, one chicken wing a week in order to keep the deal

If it were literally "no you eat meat for every meal" then I'd recommend asking for at least 1k OP. Just bear in mind that if it isn't diet or household costs (it really won't be the latter being a vegetarian is cheap A.F.) then it's basically a massive way of showing total lack of respect for your preferences or values, to which I'd recommend the exploitation route.
ha-haaa
ok i know Roc didn't close this but i think we have enough on this. it isn't about gear so in the wrong section to begin with and i'm not going to dump it on another section. 

OP it's your life and your call.