Thoughts anyone?
I can get the Blackstar for $375, the Peavey for $400.
I've checked out a lot of youtube videos and didn't like Mustangs at all. The Katana wasn't pretty either.
I noticed Blackstar gets a bad rap here. Peavey seems to get bad rap on another forum I've been looking at.
I need modern metal tone (no blues, no clean). Amp is not for gigging, only recording and practice.
Looking for a rectifier sound. Something like Rammstein, Rob Zombie, Gary Numan, 3 Teeth, Megaherz, Eisbrecher, Stoneman. I know Rammstein uses rectifiers, I'm pretty sure Gary Numan has been using them lately. 
I'm good with modelers since guitars are a part of the whole in my music. I'm using GR5 now. I have 2 songs on my latest project that use guitars and I liked they way they turned out so I'm thinking on my next project I'm going to go a bit more in that direction. 
The ID Core amps are very mediocre sounding honestly. They aren't the worst of the cheap modellers but they still aren't great.

Get the Peavey. The high gain models in that amp are easily they best sounding. Particularly the 6505 model. The rectifier model is pretty good for a cheap practice amp as well.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
The ID Core amps are very mediocre sounding honestly. They aren't the worst of the cheap modellers but they still aren't great.

Get the Peavey. The high gain models in that amp are easily they best sounding. Particularly the 6505 model. The rectifier model is pretty good for a cheap practice amp as well.

+1.

To add, Blackstar originally got a bad rap because of shady marketing.  They advertised their HT series as being "all tube" when in fact they are not all-tube at all -- then, they continued to market them as such for a long time despite being called out on it.  But in experience, I have played a lot of Blackstar amps (including their high-end Series One full-tube amps) and just found them to sound mediocre across the board compared to similar amps costing less money.

As for the Peavey Vypyr series, if it's got to be a modeler, and you can't afford an Axe FX or Kemper unit, then that series remains your best option for high-gain applications.  The 6505 and Rectifier models on the Vyp are its two best models, IMO, meaning they get closer to the real thing than any of the other models.  That said, I would never choose a modeler over the real thing.  
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
I already blew the majority of of music fund this year on new guitar. My old one worked for this project. Felt like I spent a fair amount of time dialing in the tone that I wanted on GR5. That's when I decided that I wanted something that had active pups vs the blades in my Ibanez. The guitar is old and not worth too much since it's been through hell and back with me so I didn't want to swap out the pups on it. I also wanted something that played better.

I'm not totally against tubes but from my past experiences guys that ran them always blew people away at practices with them and they were a bit of a pain to record with. Most of my hearing loss is probably from band practice and not shows! I'll never forget playing this club that was on the third floor of a warehouse with no working freight elevator and having to help the guitarists haul them up the stairs.

I could always sell the amp and go bigger next year if I feel like I need to. The rectifier head alone is more than the Vypyr, the half stack is more than I'm spending on the guitar. Seems to be overkill (to me)  to have a setup like that for recording. The Axe, Kemper, and Eleven rack are nice but I'm not sure if I can justify the price right now all things considering. Since I write industrial stuff, software and synths are a bigger part of my budget. Last year I picked up a Virus TI 2 that is in every track on my current project. That thing is amazing.

I did see a video where I guy compared the 6505 on the Vypyer with the real deal and it was impressive. I've been leaning towards the Peavey from what I"ve seen, heard, and read. The ID and HT seem to sound ok from what I've seen on youtube, but the Peavey seemed to have a definite edge. I wanted to A/B them but Guitar Center doesn't carry Peavey amps in store. Blackstar and Mustangs were everywhere.

I do like experimenting with sound so I'm curious to see how using an amp sounds running direct or micing it. One thing nice about software is recording the dry signal and being able to change effects and settings on the fly. Seems to me that GR wasn't fully up to the job this time so I may try out Amplitube which is actually pretty cheap.

Thanks for the advice guys. I do feel a bit better about the Peavey. I may pull the trigger on it today.
Last edited by neveser at Jul 30, 2017,