Hi everyone, I hope you are all OK. 

This question may sound daft, but I feel a bit stuck. 

I have been playing the guitar for a fair time now, and have always enjoyed doing this, wether I am learning a song by someone else, or creating something of my own. 

The thing is though, when I am creating something of my own, I don't really understand exactly how or why certain things sound good, and others don't. I know things such as scales I can use over backing tracks, or my own chord progressions, but when I create something of my own it usually is in the form of me messing around until I find something I like the sound of. 

I would like to be able to convey emotions in my music, but actually knowing HOW to convey the specific feeling if that makes sense. 

So my question really is, what do I need to learn? Or am I not doing anything wrong in the way I am currently doing things? 

Sorry if this sounds silly, I just thought some of you more knowledgeable guitarists may be able to point me in the right direction

Thank you all, Conan. 
Last edited by Warrior2014 at Jul 31, 2017,
Look up diatonic harmony. All about how chords relate to the specific key you are playing in..
Quote by Warrior2014
I don't really understand exactly how or why certain things sound good, and others don't.

Nobody does. There are those that will pretend they do by naming things and saying, "It's because of this", but naming things is not explanation. Then they may go on and say that "this" thing is composed of these other things, so that is why... there is no end end and no answer.

Over time, it does become apparent that certain things and certain relationships between things have the "sound good" quality vs not, but that is just identification, no better than distinguishing things with names... the sound of music is phenomenological and nobody has ever even scratched the surface of how that works.

This is similar to what is called the "hard problem" of consciousness; naming a thousand parts and pieces, structures, functions, relationships, etc. makes exactly zero progress grasping anything, even the first step, of how it works and what it is... one of the most important lessons of music is remembering that it is totally a mystery.
Quote by reverb66
I'm pretty sure the Bible requires that you play through a tube amp in Texas.
Quote by PlusPaul
Nobody does. There are those that will pretend they do by naming things and saying, "It's because of this", but naming things is not explanation. Then they may go on and say that "this" thing is composed of these other things, so that is why... there is no end end and no answer.

Over time, it does become apparent that certain things and certain relationships between things have the "sound good" quality vs not, but that is just identification, no better than distinguishing things with names... the sound of music is phenomenological and nobody has ever even scratched the surface of how that works.

This is similar to what is called the "hard problem" of consciousness; naming a thousand parts and pieces, structures, functions, relationships, etc. makes exactly zero progress grasping anything, even the first step, of how it works and what it is... one of the most important lessons of music is remembering that it is totally a mystery.

well..some do understand what sounds good and how to create it on a constant basis.... now if your talking about being in the "zone" and feeling the stream of consciousness explore the creative aspects of music..yeah..that would be hard to explain..but what would be even harder is the question.."how do you get into the "zone" ..ahh..the sound of one hand clapping..

the pen and paper explanations are just that-basic reality..ii7-V7-Imaj7 will sound "good" .. other combinations of chords might not..trial and error (experiment with all the possibilities) is essential in any art form..when asked how he came up with the chords in a progression..ted greene often said.."through experimentation.."

its not really guess work..more like putting a puzzle together..you find a few pieces that fit..and keep searching for the next piece after some time you get good at putting puzzles together..some might disagree and say its a mystical process sparked by innate talent..and that is as valid as any other .. it could be the mystery you say it is.. or a more mundane task to be completed--like "having to write music due to contract obligations"..now some are really good at that kind of pressure-they may even thrive on it..it motivates them..myself..I'll choose a different song .. understanding that "work is work" and if that is what pays the rent-yes..I have played "lounges" to a room of loud talkative people on their third or fourth scotch..and I can only "have" to do that in very small doses..some guys do the entire lounge circuit and don't mind a bit..so much for mystery..and then there is Ben Monder..
play well

wolf
Last edited by wolflen at Jul 30, 2017,
Thank you all for your replies and help. 

I think maybe I am doing nothing 'wrong' then, I tend to question myself quite a lot and wonder if I am doing things the right way. 

I am finding over time things that work better than others for the kind of sound I am looking for. Continuing to practice and have fun while doing so I guess will be a big part of my journey of playing guitar. 

Now I just need to figure out what exactly I need to practice to advance my playing!