Hi all, its been a long time since i last posted. I have a question about an MXR Clean Boost that i just acquired.

I play a cv50s tele into a Ceriatone Tweed Twin. That gives me beautiful cleans even when the amp is cranked.

For overdriven sounds, i use an Analogman modded TS-9 with his so called "Silver" option. This gives me some nice somewhat overdriven tones but i wanted even more drive in my tone as i found the TS-9 inadequate.

So, what i did was i went out and bought the MXR Boost, assuming that a boosted guitar signal going into the tubescreamer would force the guitar signal to clip even more inside the tubescreamer circuit. However, what i got in reality was nowhere near ideal.

Instead of getting even more clipping from the TS9, what i got was 2 simultaneous but distinct sounds coming from my amp's speakers. The firsr sound appeared to be the original driven tone that i would get from the TS9 before i used the MXR. The second sound appeared to be simply a clean signal, unaffected by the TS9.

Why???? What happened???

Why am i getting a driven sound, and a clean sound at the same time?? 

Are there any modifications i can do to the MXR boost to get the result i want?

Or should i tell myself not to be unrealistic, and get an "additional gain stage" like everybody else by using another Overdrive or Distortion pedal stacked with my existing TS9?
it should just boost the distortion coming from the ts9. however, a tubescreamer has the clippers in a feedback loop- and I think that means that you get some distortion and also some clean signal as well in your final tone (in fact that's one reason why a lot of people don't like tubescreamer-style overdrives as standalone overdrives). so it's possible that that's what's happening and the clean boost is accentuating that.

you could try a pedal with hard clipping i.e. the diodes not in a feedback loop. what type of tones are you after?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave, thank you for the reply.

I was not aware that tubescreamers work with a feedback loop. I guess that explains the unexpected results.

I just want more drive than what im currently getting from 1 TS9. Im afraid i dont have a description of what kind of tone im after.

But now that ive come to this conclusion about MXR Boost and the TS9, my next step would be to le .go of the boost pedal and probably purchase another tubescreamer to use side by side with my current one.
^ I dunno about that, you could still have the same problem. Best solution, if you have a decent guitar shop nearby, is to try some hard clipping pedals alongside your ts9 and mxr boost. most distortion pedals are hard clipping, but if you want something more in the overdrive camp, klon centaurs (and cheaper clones, e.g. EHX soul food), fulltone OCD (there are loads of cheaper clones from the likes of joyo and mooer) or MXR distortion + and DOD OD250 all have hard clipping, but a more overdrivey tone.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?