So, I actually got a guitar earlier this last week, on Thursday. I've been so busy I didn't have a chance to post anywhere but a couple pics to Instagram/Facebook.

An online bud over at the Mark Wein Guitar Lessons forums said there that he was thinking about selling his Les Paul Special to get a Yamaha. So we PM'd and he ended up selling it to me.

He was great to work with, even when our pre-scheduled vacations and cross-country mailing of payment from me in FL to him in San Diego didn't perfectly sync up.

The guitar is beautiful and was in great shape. Seller packed it very well, though UPS managed to ding up the box quite ironically.

I've been wanting a TV Yellow Les Paul Special Doublecut for ages, but they're a little hard to find, and I'm not comfortable sending strangers the amount of money they run for. Seller, though we haven't met in real life, I did not consider a "stranger" in the least, however, so it seems pretty karmic that he would be selling a guitar I figured I would never own.

So anyway, here she is. I'ma call her Johnny, in honor of the late great Mr. Thunders (even though he played a doublecut TVY Junior, and occasionally a singlecut TVY Special). And yes Johnny can be a grrl name too.

Since the NGD thread "rules" require a "review," it plays and sounds great.  If you know what P-90s sound like, you know what this sounds like.  If you don't know, P-90s are single coils, but much beefier than Fender-style single coils you might find on a Strat or Tele.  A lot of midrange but not too thin.  Great for both cleans and distortion, unless you are playing metal-style distortion, which would not be a great idea with single coils.  It's a slab mahogany body with mahogany setneck and rosewood board.  Flat top, no maple cap.  The neck feels like a '60s rather than a '50s, and is a little wider, E-string to E-string, than I was expecting, but not uncomfaortably so

The case was beautiful.

"Was" being the operative word.

I know, I'm a terrible person. But it's a thing with me.

It actually serves a useful purpose. In the scene I play in, there are anywhere from 3 to 5 bands/acts playing on a given bill. Meaning that there could easily be 20 or 30 guitar cases floating around over the course of an evening. Or afternoon.

But I can always tell mine at a glance.

I sold a guitar the next day.  But that's another post.
I haven't seen a junior that looked that great in a long time.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Sweet, love those. Knew an old timer with an original, it was such a sweet axe.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I haven't seen a junior that looked that great in a long time.

Thanks very much!  It's actually a Les Paul Special, Juniors have a single dogear at the bridge.

The guitar I sold the following day, to partially offset this'un's acquisition, was a Junior,  albeit the singlecut variety.  Junie B. Jones!

I had two folks come out to the house:

First guy, Chip: OK, that's 55 minutes I'll never get back.

Bless his heart, was a bassist who didn't know what the difference between a "setneck" versus a "bolt-neck" was. Despite gigging, and having played since the late '50s/early '60s. I don't get how someone could play that long and not have absorbed that TINY bit of (what I consider rather obvious) knowledge. I mean, the terms are SELF-DESCRIPTIVE.

But that's just me.

So anyhow, he brings along his current "Junior" to compare/contrast. (Yes, those are air-quotes, btw.) It's a bolt-neck from the Epiphone "Collegiate Series," with a humbucker. And FSU logos. He got it for under $100 and couldn't justify the upgrade to the setneck I was selling.

Which is fine.

I kept waiting for him to dicker on the price. He never did. Apparently he was not familiar with how these things work. If he was, he wasn't very good at it (he was a totally nice guy though). He was semi-apologetic, but it was really no biggie. I told him I believed in guitar karma, and that guitars eventually reach their intended homes.

And sent him on his way.

Second guy: Joe.

Shot me an email before Chip had come by. Sent him one back, let him know I had a potential buyer before him, and would check back. As soon as Chip fell through, buzzed Joe back and let him know the guitar was available. We momentarily dickered via email and came to an accord on price.

Joe comes over and the first thing he does as he comes through the door is point to my t-shirt and say "I'm a huge Mats fan!" So I already like this guy a whole lot better than his sweet-hearted but clueless predecessor.

He admitted he didn't know all that much about guitars, and had asked a local player friend of his for advice. I guess he showed the listing to this friend, who Joe said had said "Oh yeah, that's Brian Krashpad!" So I guess my rock star status precedes me, haha!

Joe asks about the adjustable bridge, plays the guitar for maybe 3 or 4 minutes, and hands over the dosh.

Done deal! Good luck to Joe. Have fun with him, Junie.

http://juniebjones.com/media/cache/1a/64/1a64e0e7a80556f2116b310411a1e74b.jpg

Guitar karma in full effect.
Last edited by Brian Krashpad at Jul 30, 2017,
excellent

and yeah that massive dent being right next to the "fragile" label is a little concerning
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
excellent

and yeah that massive dent being right next to the "fragile" label is a little concerning

Haha, yeah, I can laugh now.  But when I saw it, I was like "Oh shit."
Nice score. Love me some P-90s.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Brian Krashpad
Haha, yeah, I can laugh now.  But when I saw it, I was like "Oh shit."

haha yeah definitely it's a lot easier to laugh about it when you know there was no harm done... if the guitar was damaged it'd be a lot less funny.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Lovely guitar!
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by SteveHOC
Lovely! Used to have one just like it, enjoy!

Will do!  Saturday morning I ended up writing a new song, and since the TVY Special was out and about (I mainly keep the rest cased), she's already got a songwriting credit under her belt.  
Quote by Brian Krashpad
Me too!

yeeeeeeee
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
I have an Agile version of that guitar (your new one). I honestly never considered one of the old DC specials until a friend of mine got one (his is a '59) and gushed over it. I figured I already had those bases covered with a pair of old Carvin DC-150's from the late '80's (similar size/shape slab guitars, but with humbuckers), but I'd been rethinking P90's a couple of years ago and Agile had a model (the AD-2300) that looked pretty close. I eventually found one used, with handwound P90's, and picked it up. Since then it's been my "Grip it and Rip it" guitar; it's addictive.
Brian Krashpad how does the Hamer double cut compare to the Gibson one? I love that double cut shape. 
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by Most_Triumphant
Brian Krashpad how does the Hamer double cut compare to the Gibson one? I love that double cut shape. 

They're both great guitars.  I've honestly not played the new (to me) TV Yellow Gibby enough to do a fair head-to-head.  However, I have owned the Hamer a long while and have owned several singlecut Gibson LP Specials during that time, and the Hamer is every bit as good as any of the Gibsons (and markedly superior to one of them).

The Hamer's Seymour Duncan P-90s are a little hotter than a traditional wind, but that doesn't bother me at all.  Purists might not like them.  The Hamer is easily one of my top 2 or 3 guitars, and I have about 30.

Brian Krashpad awesome to know. I have a Gibson SG with P90s that kills. I love the slab body double-cut thing, just looking for one with humbuckers. How's the neck/feel?

If this is derailing, feel free to PM me. 
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by Most_Triumphant
Brian Krashpad awesome to know. I have a Gibson SG with P90s that kills. I love the slab body double-cut thing, just looking for one with humbuckers. How's the neck/feel?

If this is derailing, feel free to PM me. 

Most_Triumphant  Oh, no worries.  Unfortunately (for you, anyhow, haha!) I'm very lackadaisical about neck widths and hefts.