Hi guys,
I've browsed Ultimate Guitar for a good couple years now, just now sorta decided to join as I'm in a bit of a pickle. I started playing guitar just over a year ago, got myself a beginner's set at Guitar Center with a Fender Stratocaster HSS and this little 15W Amp. I don't have that high of expectations, especially because I'm a beginner lol, but I figured after a year I'd like to try getting something better. I had been looking at getting a new amp first, and so I decided to get a Marshall MG30CFX. I'm not a performer or anything, I was just looking for a nicer practice Amp. Dumb me made quite the mistake on that one, although to be fair all the reviews you see on Google or YouTube are glowing with positivity, exact opposite of what I found on here after I actually got the amp. Well, now I have the amp and the general opinion I've found on here about Marshall MG's is correct, it's pretty bad. I'll likely try to return the amp, but I'd really appreciate some advice from people with experience like you guys on what I should actually get instead. I'd prefer to not screw myself over again and repeat my mistakes lol. I'd really like to get something that can get me towards an 80s Thrash Metal sorta tone. I know there are a lot of experienced guys on here, so I was hoping some of you may have recommendations on Amps at around $200 that are actually of quality and can get me closer to that sound? I'm already losing money having to return the Amp, I'd just really like to get some quick help and advice so I don't repeat my mistakes. Thanks, any help is really appreciated.
Peavey Vypr
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by AcousticMirror
Peavey Vypr

I second this if you want a modeling amp. For $200 that's about as good as it gets for thrash.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Where are you located?  Are you willing to buy used?
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
If it were me, I would just stick with the MG30 for a little while and save up for an amp around $500, which will give you a lot more options.  If not, other than what has been recommended above, you may try the Boss Katana.  
Quote by JFalejczyk
ThunderPunk
Chicago, although I think I'd just want to explore my options first. Thanks though.

He asked so we have an idea of what's available to you, not so he could sell you something.

The Vypyr is a good choice, some Randalls like the RG or RH series could work. Reqlly in that price range, there isn't a ton of stuff, but most things will beat the MG.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
+1 for the Peavey Vypr, however, I'd heavily consider saving a bit more money and investing in a tube amp like the Peavey 6505+
Last edited by vayne92 at Jul 31, 2017,
Vypyr is a good option. Another could be a used version 1 peavey valveking. You'd need an overdrive with it but it would work for what you want
I just looked at the Chicago Craigslist to get an idea and here is a short list of stuff that I saw that I would consider for thrash in your budget range:

Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey XXL + 4x12 cab
Marshall Valvestates
Peavey Transtube (pre vypyr circuit)
Peavey Envoy?
Marshall Code

All of those are better than the MG. Notice I didn't bring up any of the Line 6 Spiders that are on there. I don't particularly care for the Peavey XXL (I found it a bit shrill) and who knows what kind of speakers are in that 4x12 but you could probably pull some decent 80's thrash tones out of it. Not much else though. I think your ears would get fatigued over time. Some of these were slightly over your budget. There is also something to be said for saving up some more money and stepping up to the next level. But for bedroom thrash metal with a headphone jack the Peavey Vypyr 30 will be good.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/search/msa?s=120&query=amp&sort=priceasc
Quote by dementiacaptain
He asked so we have an idea of what's available to you, not so he could sell you something.

The Vypyr is a good choice, some Randalls like the RG or RH series could work. Reqlly in that price range, there isn't a ton of stuff, but most things will beat the MG.

Ah my bad lol. The Vypyr keeps on coming up so I'll definitely keep it in mind.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I just looked at the Chicago Craigslist to get an idea and here is a short list of stuff that I saw that I would consider for thrash in your budget range:

Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey XXL + 4x12 cab
Marshall Valvestates
Peavey Transtube (pre vypyr circuit)
Peavey Envoy?
Marshall Code

All of those are better than the MG. Notice I didn't bring up any of the Line 6 Spiders that are on there. I don't particularly care for the Peavey XXL (I found it a bit shrill) and who knows what kind of speakers are in that 4x12 but you could probably pull some decent 80's thrash tones out of it. Not much else though. I think your ears would get fatigued over time. Some of these were slightly over your budget. There is also something to be said for saving up some more money and stepping up to the next level. But for bedroom thrash metal with a headphone jack the Peavey Vypyr 30 will be good.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/search/msa?s=120&query=amp&sort=priceasc

I really appreciate all the help. I may end up just saving up for the next level, but we'll see. . Thanks for all the help guys.

Oh and also, what have you guys heard about the Boss Katana Amps? They seemed to have good reviews on like Google, although so did the Marshall MG Amps so I can't say I'll be trusting those as much as I used to lol.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
The Katana is pretty bad ass from everything I've heard and seen but never played one personally.

Just based on opinions from users on guitar internet forums - I'd say it is a good buy.

i've been curious about the Katana as well. it's lightweight, the smallest model *might* be able to compete with a drummer, comes with BOSS-type effects, and supposedly it sounds good for its class.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
311ZOSOVHJH Man I still have my Vypyr 60 as well. I remember us chatting about that amp a few years ago lol. I have mine up for sale along with the Sanpera II (black) foot controller. Been using the TC-50 lately. I don't care if the 60 sells though...still a rockin amp.

Guitars
- Strandbergs, Gibson LP Studio, RGA42FM, S570DXQM, Mayer Strat
Amps
- Peavey Invective, Mesa TC-50
Might be an unpopular opinion on this forum, but if you just want to play at home and record stuff, I highly recommend that you look into free VST software amps. You would need an audio interface and a pair of speakers, but you can get something like a Focusrite 2i2 for like $100, then you'd just have to get a free DAW and some VST plugins (my recommendation is the Flextron DC14 by AXP) and you can play your guitar through your computer. Completely free, save for the audio interface.

For beginners, I personally think that this is the best option you could possibly be exploring, because not only will it give you far more tonal versatility (it's really easy to download a new plugin and play around with it until you get the sound that you want, and you can get some really professional tones this way), but also because it will allow you to record yourself and hear yourself play, which will make you grow and improve as a guitar player immensely in my opinion. Think about it.
Dzamija

+1

If you have a halfway decent computer this is an excellent option.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I use the Yamaha thr10x amp. It has 5 different amp styles on there plus a clean channel. It sounds pretty killer and they only cost $300.00. Check them out.
I also have the Boss Katana 50 and my Yamaha sounds way better. But it is only 10 watts compared to 50. Still loud enough for me. I live in an apartment. It has a headphone jack to so you can crank it up if you want.
Haven't tried a Katana or much time with a THR, but will vouch for the Vypyr as a thrash capable amp. Almost went with one of the 60w tube combos years ago when I was wanting something friendlier with low volume use.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Thanks for all the help and suggestion guys. I'll likely be heading into my local Guitar Center to try out a few amps I've been thinking of getting, but I think the Peavey Vypyr VIP 2 may be my best fit. But who knows, maybe I'll walk out with something completely different lol.
dude, good call on going to guitar center and trying out amps. start with the most expensive, and find one that you love. then find cheaper "copies" of that amp that fits your budget. You're in Chicago, so the amp you love at guitar center might be available on craigslist for half the price. SCORE!
It's all about feel
Try out the VIP2 with the butcher model plus an OD as a stomp, should get you old school thrash pretty quickly!
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
You'll get pretty screwed if you try to sell it back to them or trade it in, best sell it yourself for in a mid-range price, cheaper than, but more than guitar center would pay.

Before any of that though, I similarly didn't really like a practice Marshall Amp I got. I used to dial in the EQ, gain, vol, I liked on other devices but it didn't work. Then I finally tried the preset values that the manual gives you for certain sounds, crunch, distorted blah blah and it sounded way way better, in those exact settings it was almost like another it was a different amp.

I told this to a fried who's been playing and recording for over 20 years, and he said it made sense, because they know their hardware's EQ curves and so on, so they know which settings sound best.