I'm not really looking for a recommendation, but I do this a lot using multi-fx units running directly into a wedge or running a keyboard or something. I know a number of people here have mentioned doing the multi-fx to wedge thing, so I'm curious to see what monitors people are actually running.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Here in LA, there's everything. Carvin has the PM12A and PM15A and there are a number of folks I know that are running anything from the Atomic CLR to random powered PA wedges. I'm using two speakers that look like traditional boxes (fEARful 15/6/1s) and two that look a bit like wedge monitors (they've got an edge that allows them to be tilted up -- fEARful F115s). Neither is powered, both are run off power amps.

But this is a fairly common setup:

It's worth noting that while these powered speakers can be used as floor wedges, some can also be set up on Amp stands or even put up on poles and used as PA-type speakers; all the hardware for that last option is built in. Depending on the venue and what you have available in terms of professional audio support, you can either use the wedge as you would a traditional amp, facing the audience, or as a monitor, facing you and the rest of the players.
id rather use monitors as opposed to some cheap modeling amp. sounds way better. easier to use, etc.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I currently am using a single EV ZLX10A, but I'm looking to upgrade sometime in the near future. Still not sure what I'll end up with, but I want something that sounds a bit bigger. I'm considering everytging from the ZLX12 all the way to the new Friedman ASM12.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
I currently am using a single EV ZLX10A, but I'm looking to upgrade sometime in the near future. Still not sure what I'll end up with, but I want something that sounds a bit bigger. I'm considering everytging from the ZLX12 all the way to the new Friedman ASM12.

There are some that have 15" LF drivers; I'm not sure that they sound "bigger," but it's one step beyond the usual 12" LF driver...
No great penalty in price or weight. The Carvin PM15A, for example, is currently on sale for $319 and is powered with a 400w RMS internal amp: https://carvinaudio.com/products/pm15a-molded-active-main-monitor-speaker

Weighs in at around 38 lbs.
I use an old British Torque powered wedge. However at gigs I normally just use the house wedges. Those are normally JBL Eons or EV's.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Personal favorite powered wedge.  EV ZLX 12p.  Smooth response, useful interface, plenty of loud, 34 lbs, $399  If I need to keep stage volume and bleed super low I go near field with a Mackie SRM 150.  Both will get the job done but I prefer the ZLX. 
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Aug 2, 2017,
Quote by dspellman
There are some that have 15" LF drivers; I'm not sure that they sound "bigger," but it's one step beyond the usual 12" LF driver...
No great penalty in price or weight. The Carvin PM15A, for example, is currently on sale for $319 and is powered with a 400w RMS internal amp: https://carvinaudio.com/products/pm15a-molded-active-main-monitor-speaker

Weighs in at around 38 lbs.

The only reason I shy away from the 15s (and honestly why I'm not sure on the 12s) is space. I am pretty limited at my current residence and will be for at least another many months.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.