So I've got a project where I'm upgrading a Peavey Rockmaster, and the pickup it comes with is garbage. I'm using this guitar to play Lead metal, so there's gonna be a lot of soloing, shredding, and screaming. The guitar only comes with space for 1 humbucker. What's your thoughts and why.
the problem is it's a cheapish guitar (I think), so it's probably not the best plan to put something super-expensive in there.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave_Mc
It's a fairly cheap guitar I agree, though it's still got potential. I've scalloped the fretboard already, and the body isn't actually too bad from what I've seen. I don't need the most expensive pickup, just something that sounds good.
Danilixo I'm actually in the process of doing the same thing. The neck is really good, surprisingly. The body is a 3 piece unknown wood, but it's decent. I did a burned finish, with some Crimson Guitar's Finishing Oil. It looks fantastic.

The main pickup I looked at was the Seymour Duncan Sh-6 Distortion. It has a ton of power and gain, so it would be really good for lead. It's pretty expensive, but it would suit your purposes, and all the tests make it sound great. 

Now, I'm in the process of building a pickup winder, so I'm just going to make my own. But I'd say the Distortion is the way to go, if you want to drop the cash.
$99 will get you a RailHammer Chisel or their slightly higher output Anvil.
Dennis Kayzer demos:

See also this more in-depth demo of the Chisels by Fluff.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Speaking of Fluff, he does a nice demo of the Lace Deathbucker as well, just a few bucks more than the RailHammers. I'll also note he demos Lace's other metal pickups, the sig models for Brent Hinds, Bill Keliher, Matt Pike, etc. in other vids. All worth a look.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
omega
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Duncan Black Winter or Nazgul.  I have a BW set in one guitar and a Nazgul (it's bridge-only) in another guitar.  I use my bridge pickup for leads quite often, though I do really like the BW neck for certain lead sounds.  Anyway, both of those pickups in the bridge are fire-breathers in terms of rhythm AND leads.  They are both offspring of the Duncan Distortion but tweaked in different directions.  The BW is pretty balanced across the frequency spectrum but does have a brutal "grind" in the mids department and also has ample bass that stays tight (and huge) on palm mutes and chugs.  The leads are warm and singing.  It's a very, very versatile pickup, despite being marketed as an extreme metal pickup.

The Nazgul has a mid spike in the 1.5ish khz region.  Depending on how you play and how you dial your amp, it can get a little quacky/djenty -- but I don't like that sound and can dial it out on my setup.  The lows are tighter than the BW, but by no means sound thin or anemic.  It has a little less output than the BW as well.  It also has a fierce "grind" to it, but it's located at a different spot in the EQ spectrum.  I've found the lead tones to be spectacular.  Here is a segment of a song I've been working on that features both pickups.  Rhythms are quad tracked -- two tracks of Nazgul panned left, and two tracks of Black Winter panned right.  At :43 there is a solo where I used the Nazgul, and at 1:35 another solo with the Black Winter bridge, so you can hear the differences.  Tuning was C# Standard.  Enjoy:  https://soundcloud.com/kailm-1/spiritual-warfare-master-3-mixtest-5-27-17
Quote by Danilixo
Dave_Mc
It's a fairly cheap guitar I agree, though it's still got potential. I've scalloped the fretboard already, and the body isn't actually too bad from what I've seen. I don't need the most expensive pickup, just something that sounds good.

yeah i mean if you're happy enough with the guitar and going to keep it it may well be worth it (plus you can take the pickup out and sell it separately if you need to).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?