Recently been trying to learn some Megadeth solos and i'm starting to wonder if I've developed bad technique when shredding through pentatonics. I've always depended on my pinky more than the 2nd finger to play leads because it let me play stretches easier and I thought over time I would be better off because my pinky would become deadly  . Now I'm starting to see that some of these licks have use 1,2,and 3(fingers) and use the pinky to slap out an even further stretch.

What's ur opinion on depending mainly on 1,2 and 3 vs 1, 3 and 4? Is it a case of one way being better or just simply a way people choose to play?
Jackson DK2
1962 Fender Esquire
PEAVEY JSX 212
PEAVEY 6505+ 112
Last edited by UFC on VHS at Jul 31, 2017,
to a large extent it's personal preference

but personally i use 1 2 and 3 almost exclusively because it allows for much better vibrato and bends. there's a reason why most pros use 1, 2 and 3 for that type of playing, regardless of what the textbooks or other self-appointed experts tell is the "technically correct" way.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Needs more context.  There is nowhere near enough information in this post to be able to comment with any meaning on what you're actually talking about.

I mean, I would guess that my answer to your question is that it's all about preference, but I can't even say that with any certainty without knowing what exactly it is you're talking about rather than this abstract, context-free nonsense.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Needs more context.  There is nowhere near enough information in this post to be able to comment with any meaning on what you're actually talking about.

I mean, I would guess that my answer to your question is that it's all about preference, but I can't even say that with any certainty without knowing what exactly it is you're talking about rather than this abstract, context-free nonsense.

Sorry to ruin your day with my nonsense 
Jackson DK2
1962 Fender Esquire
PEAVEY JSX 212
PEAVEY 6505+ 112