Was just sitting here playing a few riffs tonight and for the first time I've found myself not liking the tone I'm getting from set up. I own several guitars, but my main ones are a StraStrat, PRS tremonti and a Jackson Rhoads for drop d tunings. My amp is a Vypyr 30 and I'm seriously hating the tone at the minute. I've been feeling like this a few weeks now, but thought it would pass but its getting worse. I think it could be that the effects are to digital and are sapping any real tone. I've looked at buying a nice tube amp, which would be my first ever and I'm pretty sure that will solve my issues.

Anyone else ever get this feeling?
If you feel like you need to upgrade your amp, then upgrade your amp. The amp you have now is a meh but decent for the price amp that's perfect for relatively new players that want to upgrade from their $60 starter amp but haven't gotten to the level to justify spending a lot more than that and realistically have no idea what sound they want. Try heading over to the Gear Goofs and Asses forum (GG&A for short) and make a thread with details and they'll give you advice. Important info to give them:

-your current gear that you have to work with including guitars, amps, and pedals
-the styles you play and the specific bands and guitarists you want to sound like
-what your realistic budget is and if you are willing to buy a used amp
-if you are fine with used give them your approximate location so they can scour classifieds
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Jul 31, 2017,
I'll suggest an idea of what I think is going on.

You know that there are compression algorithms used to reduce the file size of digital music (like MP3 format). Part of devising the compression was someone thinking that since the louder sounds tend to cover up the softer sounds, the softer sounds could be filtered out and so just let the louder sounds remain (this is not quite the right technical explanation).

The result is something that "sounds like" the original for the most part, the loss of micro-detail not really missed when listening while walking outside with earbuds or when riding in a car, etc... sounding OK for casual listening when in noisy environments.

As a guitarist you know that your hands are "smart" and learn how to adjust themselves to different techniques, different guitars, and different effects. The hands are not just smart; they actively look for ways to produce the result you want to hear through the most efficient way possible.

So here is the thing - when you use effects (and distortion, etc.), you are offering your hands an opportunity to find some ways to produce the result you want by removing some of the little tiny micro-techniques they normally employ to satisfy your ear. You know that feeling when you switch back and forth between using and not using an effect, and when you switch to the effect you think, "Oh, yeah... nice.", and when you switch the effect off it is more like, "Oh, back that plain sound (sigh)..."

That same difference is going on in your hands; they play differently depending whether the effect is on or off, and when it is on they find ways to increase their efficiency and lessen their level of effort by testing the elimination of micro-efforts in the technique to see if you notice. If you don't notice, the hands will always seek the easiest way to keep you satisfied... for a while.

You also know that guitarists tend to be obsessive about tone. Eventually the hands no longer fool the ear - you begin to notice that your tone (overall label for everything about the sound and feel) seems to be slipping, and it is. The hands have been letting it slip until you notice.

I don't use any effects at all these days, but back in the 90s I used them for all my bands. I noticed back then that my technique and tone would suffer if I practiced with the effects. I had to practice everything without the effects to keep my hands "honest", then use the effects on stage just fine because the three or four hours was not long enough for the hands to sneak any micro-techniques out of their playing.

So, I would suggest not using any effects for a couple of weeks to force the hands back to a lower level of attention to detail... then surprise them by catching them off guard with a practice session using effects. You may be surprised yourself by how good your tone sounds recovered even with those effects. 
Quote by reverb66
I'm pretty sure the Bible requires that you play through a tube amp in Texas.
PlusPaul

Or... his amp might just not be that good. ; )
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.