So a couple quick questions from people who are up to date on gear.  I used to play a ton, accrued a bunch of gear, stopped playing due to work and depression issues, and have recently unloaded almost all of it.  For the last 7 years I've been going straight into a Dual Rec, and it was all I needed.  After selling a few guitars, I decided to finally buy a Precision Drive.  Love it and what it does, but I'm not huge into pedals.  I don't need my Dual Rec anymore, even though I love what I get out of it. So the big question is 1) What kind of combo could I realistically get that would fit my need (modelling amp included, though I'd prefer one with at least a preamp tube), and 2) I've been eyeing a Strandberg, but truth be told, I'd just like a comfortable guitar that has a reliable trem on it. Aside from that, I can't afford it right now haha.  Any tips would be awesome, and I appreciate it.  

P.S. I used to contribute here years back, but don't know WTF my login or password was, so sorry for asking so much off a new account.  Cheers, everyone!
We need to know what type of music you want to play before we recommend any amps to you. Also why do you want to get a different amp, is it too loud, too big, not portable enough.
Last edited by guitarsngear at Aug 1, 2017,
guitarsngear It's entirely too much for what need anymore.  Love it, but would rather have something smaller.  As for music, I would trend towards Plini/Intervals.  Guitar forward progressive, I guess.  
Thread was moved to forum: Guitar Gear & Accessories
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Plini is one of my current favorites. Saw him and Intervals last year. Going to a show this year too. Have you listened to his episode of the No Guitar Is Safe podcast?

I had a Dual Tec Tremoverb combo. I sold it off because it was "more than I needed" and have regretted it ever since. Fantastic amp.

Plini uses AxeFX but I'm guessing that may be out of your price range. And doesn't have any tubes in it lol. Still, you miiiight want to at least check out the Fractal AX8. Hell, keep the DR and just run the AX8 into its loop.

If you just want a combo amp, there are so many to choose from....

Edit: when you say you want something smaller, what do you mean? Smaller size? Less volume? Etc.
Guitars
- Strandberg OS6, Strandberg CL7, Gibson LP Studio, S570DXQM, RG7421, Mayer Strat, Partscaster

Amps
- TC-50, Mark Five:25, Invective (soon), Vypyr 60
Last edited by Deadpool_25 at Aug 1, 2017,
Deadpool_25 I appreciate the reply!  Basically, by smaller I mean just less overall power.  I have no need for a 4x12 Half Stack. I've been so out of the loop with any new equipment, just kinda figured I'd ask around here.  I've lurked in the past, but haven't been around for a long while.  I did read about the AxeFX, and you're right, don't have the dollars.  I'd love to, lol.  I've been leaning towards keeping the Dual Rec, but at the same time, if I could come across an affordable 2x12 or 2x10 that can push out a solid distortion and have a smooth clean I'd be interested.  Sold a good lot of my guitars, and looking to invest in one nice guitar and try to find a more practical amp.  Kinda looking like I should try more digital.  Also, Plini and Aaron Marshall are two of my favorites.  Saw them twice within the past year. They're my favorite show, when they're together.   Gonna try to go see Plini in KC in September.  Also, Sithu Aye is in the states soon!  Gonna go see him with Haken in STL.  Big fan of Tom Monda and Thank You Scientist, too.  Grew up listening to Dream Theater, Transatlantic, and Spock's Beard in the mid 90's to early 2000's.  Kinda sidetracked, lol, but I love talking about music. 
Well, most prog guys seem to be at least partially converted to digital rigs these days. Axe FX is a common one to see, but there are other, less expensive options. First, you have hinted at a budget, but haven't actually stated one, so... what's your budget?

I was in your position, and I decided to do the modeling thing. I have a Line 6 Helix, and I run it through a small powered monitor or headphones. I also couldn't help myself and wanted a tube amp again, so I also have a Mark V 25 an an Orange PPC112. Both these rigs work well for the bedroom.

If you really like your Rectifier but want a smaller, more space-conservative rig, Mesa offers the mini Rec and the mini Rectoverb (if you wanted a combo), which are both excellent. Of course, the full-size Rectoverb combos aren't too expensive on the used. I'm not a huge fan of the C90/Rectifier pairing, so I would want to swap the speaker, but YMMV.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dangreder
Deadpool_25 I appreciate the reply!  Basically, by smaller I mean just less overall power.  I have no need for a 4x12 Half Stack. I've been so out of the loop with any new equipment, just kinda figured I'd ask around here.  I've lurked in the past, but haven't been around for a long while.  I did read about the AxeFX, and you're right, don't have the dollars.  I'd love to, lol.  I've been leaning towards keeping the Dual Rec, but at the same time, if I could come across an affordable 2x12 or 2x10 that can push out a solid distortion and have a smooth clean I'd be interested.  Sold a good lot of my guitars, and looking to invest in one nice guitar and try to find a more practical amp.  Kinda looking like I should try more digital.  Also, Plini and Aaron Marshall are two of my favorites.  Saw them twice within the past year. They're my favorite show, when they're together.   Gonna try to go see Plini in KC in September.  Also, Sithu Aye is in the states soon!  Gonna go see him with Haken in STL.  Big fan of Tom Monda and Thank You Scientist, too.  Grew up listening to Dream Theater, Transatlantic, and Spock's Beard in the mid 90's to early 2000's.  Kinda sidetracked, lol, but I love talking about music. 

Maybe just downsize the cab to a 2x12? You could also consider a Mark 5:25 (25 watts and can go down to 10) with a 1x12 cab. I have that combo and it's pretty awesome despite being a tiny rig. Still capable of volume too. Or maybe a Mark 5:35. And either with a 2x12 vertical cab would also be smaller, less power, and awesome.

I keep considering selling the 5:25 because I love the TC-50, but then I remember how great the 5:25 is. And if I ever want to go jam with a friend it's so easy to throw in the car lol.
Guitars
- Strandberg OS6, Strandberg CL7, Gibson LP Studio, S570DXQM, RG7421, Mayer Strat, Partscaster

Amps
- TC-50, Mark Five:25, Invective (soon), Vypyr 60
I'd audition out a Mini Rec 25 with the matching 112 Slant Cab.  
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .