Page 1 of 2
I really like the sound of surf rock, and I'm wondering what I need to get to create that perfect surf tone.
I have a strat type with humbucker pickup (at bridge), with floyd rose style bridge.
And, of course, a reverb pedal- any recommendations?
thanks!

Well most if not all 60s surf was done on single coil pups for starters and Floyd's didn't exist. Clean amp with great reverb and you are good to go.
A big-sounding reverb
Slapback delay
Compressor
Tremolo
maybe a chorus or vibrato pedal

None of those are essential though, but they are useful for that style.

The 2 real essentials are something with single coils, a vibrato and an amp with lots of clean headroom.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
A big-sounding reverb
Slapback delay
Compressor
Tremolo
maybe a chorus or vibrato pedal

None of those are essential though, but they are useful for that style.

The 2 real essentials are something with single coils, a vibrato and an amp with lots of clean headroom.

No reverb not surf. It is essential. Tremelo is optional.
Quote by monwobobbo
No reverb not surf. It is essential. Tremelo is optional.

I'd consider a vibrato bridge to be essential.

I guess if one pedal is all you could have for surf, a reverb would be the #1 above all else.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I'd consider a vibrato bridge to be essential.

I guess if one pedal is all you could have for surf, a reverb would be the #1 above all else.

I meant tremelo the effect.
Quote by monwobobbo

Tremolo is a good effect for service but it's annoying to set since the rate is never right. Although if you have tremolo with an expression pedal to vary the speed, that makes a huge difference. For me at least. And not just for surf. Great for country and clichéd Spaghetti Western sounding music.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by monwobobbo

Fender's misnomer will never cease to cause confusion.

EDIT: Just had a thought that I've never considered since I'm not a compressor user at all. But what would happen to a tremolo pedal if you put a compressor after it? Presumably it would cause the tremolo effect to behave like a killswitch? What would happen if the tremolo was set to not completely cut off the signal and the compressor was set to extreme levels? Would the compressor then completely negate the tremolo effect?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Surf guitar is a popular enough topic around here that it gets discussed from time to time.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1678142
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1631844

As the others have pointed out, the essentials are a clean amp, a good, splashy Reverb, and a guitar withnsome kind of singlecoil. Humbuckers do show up in the genre, but they're sooooo rare. Still, if you must, I can attest FillerTron-style pickups will do just fine because they're fairly bright.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Fender's misnomer will never cease to cause confusion.

EDIT: Just had a thought that I've never considered since I'm not a compressor user at all. But what would happen to a tremolo pedal if you put a compressor after it? Presumably it would cause the tremolo effect to behave like a killswitch? What would happen if the tremolo was set to not completely cut off the signal and the compressor was set to extreme levels? Would the compressor then completely negate the tremolo effect?

tbf a tremolo with depth set all the way is a kill switch already. But really I think it depends on the attack and release of the compressor as well as the actual ratio. A subtle use of a compressor doesn't completely kill all dynamics.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Surf guitar is a popular enough topic around here that it gets discussed from time to time.  
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1678142
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1631844

As the others have pointed out, the essentials are a clean amp, a good, splashy Reverb, and a guitar withnsome kind of singlecoil.  Humbuckers do show up in the genre, but they're sooooo rare.  Still, if you must, I can attest FillerTron-style pickups will do just fine because they're fairly bright.

Hi all!
Thanks for all the replies! I won't use the humbucker pickup, which area would be best? The neck, middle or any of the inbetweeners?
And I must apologise, I got my bridges wrong! It is not a floyd rose style! It is a hybrid of a mexican strat and some other kind of bridge (I'm not an expert, sorry) My amp seems pretty clean, so I won't worry too much about that.
Now, for the pedals!  
A reverb pedal is definite- Are there any recommendations from anyone? I've heard about a xvive maxverb d1 which is affordable and small, which is useful. I have also heard about a solid gold FX super surf reverb that I loved the sound of... but isn't available in my country!  
I am also planning on getting a jim dunlop mini fuzzface and a vox v847a for playing rock and blues, etc, and I don't think the vox is true bypass, and from what I've been told you usually put wah before distortion (or fuzz) so where would I put the reverb pedal in this case?
Huge thanks!
SolidGold FX pedals are pretty nice. Is ordering it online out of the question?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
SolidGold FX pedals are pretty nice.  Is ordering it online out of the question?

I'm more than willing to order online but I cant find a place that ships to my country. Are there any amazon or ebay listings? Huge thanks!
Quote by lucag123
I'm more than willing to order online but I cant find a place that ships to my country. Are there any amazon or ebay listings? Huge thanks!

Found an ebay listing that ships to nz so that should be good... a bit out of my price range (for now) but will look into it when I have the money. any other recommendations?
Quote by lucag123
any other recommendations?

Move to where the gear is!

( )

I kid.

Besides eBay, check Reverb.com. They, too have stores and individual sellers but their fee arrangement is a little different, so sometimes you can find a better price/deal, even from the same seller.
https://reverb.com/brand/solidgoldfx?product_type=effects-and-pedals&category=reverb

I'll also recommend this SGFX fuzz pedal, but really, we need to know more about your budget.
https://solidgoldfx.com/products/sasori

Quote by dannyalcatraz

( )

I kid.

Besides eBay, check Reverb.com.  They, too have stores and individual sellers but their fee arrangement is a little different, so sometimes you can find a better price/deal, even from the same seller.
https://reverb.com/brand/solidgoldfx?product_type=effects-and-pedals&category=reverb

I'll also recommend this SGFX fuzz pedal, but really, we need to know more about your budget.
https://solidgoldfx.com/products/sasori

I'm not entirely sure about my budget, but I'd say about $120 Usd.
I really like the look of reverb.com- the fact it allows me to filter to what will send to my country is useful. I'll do some looking there. 
thanks for helping!  
The Line 6 ToneCore Verbzilla is a discontinued but pretty nice digital reverb pedal.

And they can be found in your price range:
https://reverb.com/item/2718203-line-6-tone-core-verbzilla-stereo-digital-reverb-guitar-effect-pedal

The Earthquaker Devices Ghost Echo might suit you:
https://reverb.com/item/4464209-earthquaker-devices-ghost-echo-reverb

As might the Levitation, which evolved from it:
https://reverb.com/item/5676591-earthquaker-devices-levitation

Digiech's Polara, perhaps?
https://reverb.com/item/919814-digitech-polara-reverb-guitar-pedal

The Keeley Hooke Reverb

https://reverb.com/marketplace/effects-and-pedals?query=Keeley%20Hooke%20Reverb&sort=price%7Casc&page=

Not personally, no. But it's one of Digitech's offerings in their revamped product line. The ones I have tried have been pretty nifty..

With surf reverb...(imo).... "the spring is king"....... pedal wise, some more to add to the list would be the Boss FRV-1 and the Catalinbread Topanga "spring reverb" pedal.

Also, the discontinued Verbzilla mentioned lives on iirc, with the  Behringer RV600 Reverb Machine which is a "copy/clone" of it...
Last edited by Guitaraxe at Aug 2, 2017,
The Topanga is a killer- I recommend it in those threads I linked to- but it's usually going to be way over the budget.

Quote by lucag123
I really like the sound of surf rock, and I'm wondering what I need to get to create that perfect surf tone.
I have a strat type with humbucker pickup (at bridge), with floyd rose style bridge.
And, of course, a reverb pedal- any recommendations?
thanks!

1) Any Strat will do.

2) reverb is key effect - check out the Topanga Spring Reverb - it can act as a boost as well.  It's best spring pedal I've heard for that style by far.  Otherwise a cheaper option would be the holy grail nano from EHX.  If you have the budget, the will and the way then buying an actual Fender Spring reverb Tank is how Dick Dale does it.  But that's the size of an amp head and costs quite a lot. 

3) delay - sometimes a slap-back delay really sounds really good for this type of music - here any delay will do. 
It's a simple formula. Fender Strat with a good vibrato arm (or a Mosrite guitar if you get lucky) with heavy gauge strings and a Fender amp with reverb (preferably a Twin Reverb or Super Reverb). You want a super clean sound with big reverb. I grew up playing surf music like the Ventures, the Shadows, Dick Dale and the Del Tones............that was the sound. 
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Aug 2, 2017,
Quote by Guitaraxe
With surf reverb...(imo).... "the spring is king"....... pedal wise, some more to add to the list would be the Boss FRV-1 and the Catalinbread Topanga "spring reverb" pedal.

Also, the discontinued Verbzilla mentioned lives on iirc, with the  Behringer RV600 Reverb Machine which is a "copy/clone" of it...

Hi!
I've checked out all of these and though I quite like the topanga, it is out of my budget.
I checked some sites that ship to my country and the boss FRV-1 becomes quite expensive after conversion rates and shipping, etc.
I have found the verbzilla though, so will add that one to my list of 'contenders'
I will also add the topanga to my list of ones to potentially invest in.
Huge thanks!
Last edited by lucag123 at Aug 3, 2017,
I think I might have decided on my top 3

digitech polara

verbzilla 

keeley hooke reverb

maybe, the topanga... but it is out of my budget.
would everybody be able to tell me the pros/cons of each?
thanks!
Verbzilla- or its Behringer clone-.will be the cheapest and (in some ways) the easiest to use because of the presets. The Verbzilla is also in a sturdy, tanklike enclosure.

The Keeley and Catalinbread will also be well made, and should sound better. Unlike the Verbzilla, you'll have to work a little harder to dial things in the old-fashioned way. Of those, the Catalinbread will probably have the better spring Reverb tone, but the Keeley may be more versatile.

Ah, forgot about that one. Solid pedal.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Ah, forgot about that one.  Solid pedal.

looks really nice too!
Thanks for helping me with finding a reverb pedal! Its been really helpful as I'm not really knowledgable with this kind of stuff!
Thanks to all who have helped me! I'll put my final decision on here
visual sound's h20 v1 or v2 are great and would be much cheaper. nice delay and chorus.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
trashedlostfdup
Even though you know I've got 2 ('cause they kick ass), I've never used a H20 for that surf style sound. Have you?

dannyalcatraz

coupled with a trem. so yes and no. lol.

but for the stupid cheap prices they are going for, it would be a great thing to have. $60 to $80 a BBD chorus and a nice delay for a developing board
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by dannyalcatraz

( )

I kid.

You're not kidding. I can see it in your eyes.
Sweaters not required.

Quote by dspellman
Matching sweaters, matching guitars.

Very tempting to give up on the reverb pedal and just get one of those sweaters.
Quote by lucag123
Very tempting to give up on the reverb pedal and just get one of those sweaters.

No, see, the problem is that you need four of them.

Whose mom knits?
Last edited by dspellman at Aug 5, 2017,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Sweaters not required.

Dick Dale back when -- surf. Totally stoked.
Dick Dale now -- Couldn't stand up on a surfboard on dry land without his walker. Does covers of Young Dick Dale.

Similarly:

Sexiest metal singer ever: Young Robert Plant
Least sexy metal singer ever: Olde Robert Plant.
Page 1 of 2