Does a band have to wear black, tattoos, long hair to get taken "seriously" as a death metal band?

Poll: Looking the part is a must, to make it as a _________ band?
Poll Options
View poll results: Looking the part is a must, to make it as a _________ band?
Yes
16 37%
No
27 63%
Voters: 43.
Page 1 of 3
and have plugs and slicked hair and tight shirts and pants for a grindcore/hardcore band?

I'm gonna say, yes. 

Only because I haven't seen popular bands like that who don't look like that

EDIT: I've love to see a made band like that - that don't look the part
Quote by LivinJoke84
I cant be naked. I have a huge fear of leaving a stain wherever i sit. Especially if its really warm
Last edited by Phazon at Aug 3, 2017,
get taken seriously as a death metal band

*beep* *boop* *bop* *beep*

ERROR

ERROR

DOES NOT COMPUTE
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
theogonia777 I put seriously in quotes lol

I mean in terms of 'making it' and selling yourself, etc touring, etc, etc all that shit
Quote by LivinJoke84
I cant be naked. I have a huge fear of leaving a stain wherever i sit. Especially if its really warm
I would probably take them more seriously if they didn't dress like MCR 24/7 tbh. 
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
oh so this isn't a bumped thread from 10 years ago

awkward...
Quote by kalypto

awkward...

This is exactly what I thought when I opened it
In order for a band to be taken 'seriously', their fans should be about 14.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
It's probably not classed as "real metal" unless they dress like shit/have silly hair

So, yes. 
I have nothing important to say
I'd say a band should dress like their audience. So yeah, it's actually practical to present yourself that way to show that you're a part of that culture. Clothing / fashion is a huge part of what makes pop / rap artists popular, the same can be said about hardcore / metalcore bands plastered on magazine covers
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by kalypto

awkward...

Shiet I forget how long some of ya'll stick around this forum
Quote by LivinJoke84
Quote by k.lainad
I'd say a band should dress like their audience. So yeah, it's actually practical to present yourself that way to show that you're a part of that culture. Clothing / fashion is a huge part of what makes pop / rap artists popular, the same can be said about hardcore / metalcore bands plastered on magazine covers
An exception for jazz musicians.

You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: Duke Ellington

I'm sick and tired of people calling America the stupidest country in the world. I personally think Europe is the stupidest country.
I wouldn't take them seriously no matter how they dress
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
the band has to be marketable. good music does not cut it anymore, the band has to "look good", appealing visually to the market. that's why you see so few "ugly" pop stars. surely its possible, but image is a huge chunk of a group's success.
Nah, just play good music, but that's impossible because it's death metal ayy lmao
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
I refuse to take a death metal band seriously unless they have a girl maiden walking through a moody forest in all their music videos. 
I think its important to be yourself. I mean i probably wouldnt go with matching suits for a death metal band, but say i played metal. Im not going to grow out my hair and pretend to be some sort of rebellious teenager. I like tattoos so ya i have them. But I didnt get them to change how people classify me.
Quote by Rossenrot
I refuse to take a death metal band seriously unless they have a girl maiden walking through a moody forest in all their music videos. 

You're thinking of black metal, friend
Quote by Spidey93
You're thinking of black metal, friend

You think I give a fuck about pedantic genre faggotry, fella
Quote by Rossenrot
You think I give a fuck about pedantic genre faggotry, fella

I'm not your fella, guy
They're both terrible lmao might as well lump in grindcore along with them lmao lmao
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by Fat Lard
Classy

real talk this has to be the lamest photo ever taken and it's not even close. you know things are rough when the guy with a mohawk-skullet and the stray ballhairs hanging off his chin standing the side with the collar of his full leather trenchcoat popped isn't even the worst thing going on. the goddamn nerve of these clowns. 

ExDementia Ew. U2 called, they want their wardrobe for their Halloween Special back...

Quote by MinterMan22
real talk this has to be the lamest photo ever taken and it's not even close. you know things are rough when the guy with a mohawk-skullet and the stray ballhairs hanging off his chin standing the side with the collar of his full leather trenchcoat popped isn't even the worst thing going on. the goddamn nerve of these clowns. 

ExDementia Didn't know they made a new one though, noice.

Looks like I'll have to break out a few wine coolers for this one
Last edited by Fat Lard at Aug 2, 2017,
Quote by Random3
Image, regardless of genre, is extremely important.
yeah half of what a genre is is aesthetic. glam rock/metal and grunge are two examples of genres that are probably more defined by their image than the actual music.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
image doesn't really matter a lot of the time tho.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
i think image is mostly intrinsic so it doesn't really matter. but i'd still argue it's a significant component of what makes a genre.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
Quote by jakesmellspoo
image doesn't really matter a lot of the time tho.

keep telling yrself that pal

mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
ExDementia ah man, not sure I dig this production :/

Inner Sanctum though felt like Disappear seemed a little 'thrown together' on a first listen, but some class moments. Looking forward to this

Actually on a proper hearing, this production's pretty good from just the youtube vid. Hype breh
Last edited by Fat Lard at Aug 2, 2017,
No death metal band has ever been taken seriously so image doesn't matter all that much.  Most look like comic book characters.  The more evil tats and piercings the more lame hipster vibe.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by k.lainad
I'd say a band should dress like their audience.
i'm gonna say nah

major bands typically influence how their fans dress, and genre-definers have done in the past, so in that sense it's probably a safe route - metal fans dress up like that because of the metal bands that dressed up like that back in the day, rob halford and that; grunge fans dress like that because kurt cobain had no sense of style, etc.

but imo a band should, as a rule (even when going for DIY, punky aesthetics) dress better than their fans

a pro band starts looking like a pro band when it looks like the members are dressing for their job, so a metal band that just looks like a bunch of dudes that like metal really isn't an impressive sight, whereas a band with some idea of a coordinated aesthetic, even if that involves people not wearing shirts or growing their hair out longer or wearing more leather jackets or whatever, it makes an impression, and they look like a serious band

bb king is a good example also; he played a pretty unassuming genre but he deliberately offset this by dressing like he was - paraphrasing his own words - going to the bank to ask for money. the result is you can tell he's the star of the show

like most major bands make an effort to make a visual impression beyond what their fans look like, whether it's taking a basic visual aesthetic to an extreme or going for a really out-there, exaggerated one, or just dressing stylishly like people who make money - when you're performing you're there not just to be heard, but to be admired, basically

as far as the extent to which that should follow the genre, i would say the look should not be uninfluenced by the music, but both matching the two and deliberately contrasting one with the other are viable choices

if you just dress like your audience you look like you play covers in pubs, and you probably do

i dunno this post is a mess but you probably get the idea
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Page 1 of 3