Sorry if this question seems stupid but I am new to amps, Ive been given a Fender Frontman 25r 75w 230v-50Hz amp... what watt is the amp isnit 75watts? And good enough to use for gigs?
Quote by heaven086
Sorry if this question seems stupid but I am new to amps, Ive been given a Fender Frontman 25r 75w 230v-50Hz amp... what watt is the amp isnit 75watts? And good enough to use for gigs?

Quote by Ippon
Yep, 75 watts.  Good enough is relative.

Good luck!

This thing? https://www.amazon.com/Fender-Frontman-Electric-Guitar-Amplifier/dp/B0002KZQ34

It is NOT 75w. It may consume 75w, but its output power is 25w. Very often the output wattage of an amp is in the model number. And I would not really use the FM series for professional level play. Look into the Peavey ValveKing, Classic 30, Blues Jr. in the USED market.
Last edited by Will Lane at Aug 2, 2017,
No. It is a 25W amplifier. 25W is its OUTPUT into the speaker.

(assuming it's like this one - http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/25R-Frontman-Series-II-25W-1x10-Guitar-Combo-Amp-Texas-Red-1273888002801.gc )

The 75W rating is the power INPUT needed from the mains electricity supply.

Is it good enough for gigs - maybe - depends on what music you play.

No good for rock or metal or punk, especially with a loud drummer.

(But OK if the PA system can give you some monitoring.)

OK for small gigs perhaps, for pop and folk.
Ahh okay thanks for the info. ๐Ÿ™‚ ive been looking into an Orange crush 35rt.. says 35 watts would this be good enough to gig? Ive basicallly got 200 to spend on an amp.. any recommendation as i want one for gigging ๐Ÿ˜Ž
Quote by heaven086
Ahh okay thanks for the info. ๐Ÿ™‚ ive been looking into an Orange crush 35rt.. says 35 watts would this be good enough to gig? Ive basicallly got 200 to spend on an amp.. any recommendation as i want one for gigging ๐Ÿ˜Ž

What sort of music? Also, are you going to be playing in places where they mic the amps or no?
ExDementia

Its indie/rock with a bit of blues in there. And maybe playing places with good pa systems that can mic us up and some that dont so a bit of both
heaven086 If they're not micing the amps, you're probably gonna want something with a bit more volume, and something with at least one 12" speaker (since yours only has a 10"). Are you currently able to hear yourself over drums in practice?

The Frontman isn't really the best amp at comfortable levels, let alone pushing it to the max. Depending on your budget, a good, inexpensive alternative would be the Peavey Valveking. You can get the 1x12 combo or the head and pair it with a separate 2x12 or 4x12 cab depending on what you're looking for and the space you're working with. But on a budget, I'd recommend the combo.

Valvking 50W 1x12 combo: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/peavey-valveking-ii-50-50w-1x12-tube-guitar-combo-amp?rNtt=Valveking&index=1

That's a really solid amp for the price, and they can be found used for cheaper quite often.
Quote by heaven086

Don't take any sidestep upgrades because you will end up having to replace something like the Crush sooner than later, because you'll grow out of it. Buy cheap, buy twice. Find a MKI ValveKing on the used market and you'll have an amp to last you quite a while.