View poll results: Take it or dont
Take it
1 50%
Don't take it
0 0%
Lol get one with eq than get eq pedal and scoop all mids
1 50%
Voters: 2.
I have the chance of a great deal on a Mesa mark III but it doesn't have a graphic eq in it. So my question is should I take it and drop a eq in the loop or should I wait until one with an eq comes along. What are the pros and cons of each and do you guys and gals think it is worth it. BTW if I stick an eq in the loop it would be less expensive.
If the graphic EQ pedal can operate in the same ranges as the built-in graphic EQ, then go for that if it's cheaper.

I can't tell you what is actually cheaper if the Mesa is used. You need to do that research yourself.

You can get graphic EQ pedals like the MXR 10-band that have more bands in them than the EQ that's in the Mark III. More bands means more tonal adjustability, which I only see as being a good thing.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
If the graphic EQ pedal can operate in the same ranges as the built-in graphic EQ, then go for that if it's cheaper.

I can't tell you what is actually cheaper if the Mesa is used. You need to do that research yourself.

You can get graphic EQ pedals like the MXR 10-band that have more bands in them than the EQ that's in the Mark III. More bands means more tonal adjustability, which I only see as being a good thing.

The other thing to consider about the EQ and pedals in general is that since they are not fixed into the amp, you can use the EQ pedal with other things as well, be it a different guitar amp, a bass, a keyboard, etc. Having the extra bands also gives you greater flexibility, especially if you end up using it with other instruments. You really can't go wrong with a good graphic EQ pedal.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
The other thing to consider about the EQ and pedals in general is that since they are not fixed into the amp, you can use the EQ pedal with other things as well, be it a different guitar amp, a bass, a keyboard, etc.  Having the extra bands also gives you greater flexibility, especially if you end up using it with other instruments.  You really can't go wrong with a good graphic EQ pedal.

Yup, valid point.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
While I *do* have an amp with a 5-band graphic EQ built in, and while it is useful (assuming it's an *active* EQ), an outboard version can be even more useful. For example, I've seen people with three of them. One is first in line, to EQ the pickups (saves a lot of money swapping pickups), another is just after distortion, to EQ the distortion, and a third in the FX loop, essentially to EQ the cabinet.
The Mesa built in EQ is a classic... I would want it on there.... but ya, a pedal EQ would give a variation on the theme. iirc, Mesa has a pedal version of their 5 bander.
I have a mark iv with built in EQ and a an MXR 10 band that I bought when I had a recto. The MXR is solid but I don't even have it plugged in now. They both perform fine though. I just can't be bothered to lug it around when the built in EQ does what I want.