Hello!
I just ordered a Thunderverb 200, switchable between 200 and 100 watts. The plan is probably to get a 212, and the question is what speakers I should get for it since I've found an unloaded PPC212 used I'll probably buy if I can. Question is if it's worthwhile trying to make it work in both the 200/100w settings or just keep it at one of them. Anyone who has this amp and know the sound difference between 200w and 100w?

In 200w mode the amp has 2 8Ohm outs and 2 4Ohms. In 100w mode it has 2 8Ohm and 2 16Ohms. I've read somewhere that if the amp has a 16 ohm output, it's better to use that than an 8 ohm output because it strains the transformer less. Is this true (in the 100w mode in this case)? If not I could probably build a cabinet based on 16Ohm speakers and use 8Ohm taps on both power settings, but I guess there wouldn't be that many speakers to choose from if they are to be 16ohm and over 100w each. I have an eminence legend speaker at 16 ohms right but, but I'm guessing it's only 75w (doesn't say anywhere on the speaker and seems to be many different variations. Anyone know how I can find out?)

A lot of questions, but if anyone has any suggestions or first hand experience with this amp it would be super appreciated!
Last edited by JKEr at Aug 3, 2017,
I can't comment on the sound difference between the two modes, although for most practical purposes 200W seems really excessive, but if you wanted to use it there are some options.

As far as your eminence speaker goes I can't comment on the power rating without more information. If you check the eminence website it will give you the rating of your speaker model. http://www.eminence.com/guitar-bass/legend-series/  There is a model with a rating of 200W if you wanted a single speaker. If you want a 2x12 to be able to use on both modes there are a few options, basically you need two high wattage speakers. Obviously there are other brands but since you mentioned eminence we can look at that. the Eminence Swamp Thang and Texas heat are both rated 150W giving a 2x12 cab rating of 300W and are a fairly popular combination. So in short its doable, but you may not be able to use your existing speaker.

In terms of ohms, you may notice a slight difference in tone using the different outputs but it won't hurt the amp, its has 8 ohm outputs because its meant to work with 8 ohm loads, you won't damage your amp.
build a 4x15 and be done with it.  
"I definitely don’t write all my music in a blackout, like I used to, although I did come up with some good stuff in a blackout."
-Matt Fucking Pike
Quote by guitarsngear
I can't comment on the sound difference between the two modes, although for most practical purposes 200W seems really excessive, but if you wanted to use it there are some options.

As far as your eminence speaker goes I can't comment on the power rating without more information. If you check the eminence website it will give you the rating of your speaker model. http://www.eminence.com/guitar-bass/legend-series/  There is a model with a rating of 200W if you wanted a single speaker. If you want a 2x12 to be able to use on both modes there are a few options, basically you need two high wattage speakers. Obviously there are other brands but since you mentioned eminence we can look at that. the Eminence Swamp Thang and Texas heat are both rated 150W giving a 2x12 cab rating of 300W and are a fairly popular combination. So in short its doable, but you may not be able to use your existing speaker.

In terms of ohms, you may notice a slight difference in tone using the different outputs but it won't hurt the amp, its has 8 ohm outputs because its meant to work with 8 ohm loads, you won't damage your amp.

Yeah I figured the same, but would at the same time be a shame to have a 200w and not even try it out not a biggy though I guess.

I managed to find a sticker on the speaker saying "v1216" and when looking at their website it seems like it's actually 120w! Unless there are other speakers with the same model name, but that seems unlikely.

Allright, glad to hear that it wouldn't harm thea amp in any way. Then I think I'm simply going to get another 16 ohm 100w+ speaker. Or is it important to have a bigger marginal, than 200w cab for a 200w amp? If I understood it right, it's only dangerous if I crank the amp? I reckon that's not an issue with 200 watts, since my head would probably explode before that? ๐Ÿ˜ those Eminence speakers you mentioned seem cool. I'm also thinking of pairing the legend with maybe a Celestion g12t-100 or g12k-100. The latter seems to be in oranges high power cab. Tough choice!

Thanks for the reply, it's been very helpful!

Quote by Badluckpalms
build a 4x15 and be done with it.  

Haha, that sounds absolutely brutal! I would go for a 412 if it wasn't for the money, space and pain to lug around..
Last edited by JKEr at Aug 4, 2017,
Quote by JKEr
Allright, glad to hear that it wouldn't harm thea amp in any way. Then I think I'm simply going to get another 16 ohm 100w+ speaker. Or is it important to have a bigger marginal, than 200w cab for a 200w amp? If I understood it right, it's only dangerous if I crank the amp? 

You don't need a big margin, technically a 200W cab should be fine with a 200W head, and as you mentioned you aren't going to be cranking it full at 200W. Best of luck finding a speaker pairing. The Eminence V12 is a good speaker, they are used in Soldano cabs.
Quote by guitarsngear
You don't need a big margin, technically a 200W cab should be fine with a 200W head, and as you mentioned you aren't going to be cranking it full at 200W. Best of luck finding a speaker pairing. The Eminence V12 is a good speaker, they are used in Soldano cabs.

Great, thanks a lot! All the help has been much appreciated!
Quote by JKEr

In 200w mode the amp has 2 8Ohm outs and 2 4Ohms. In 100w mode it has 2 8Ohm and 2 16Ohms. I've read somewhere that if the amp has a 16 ohm output, it's better to use that than an 8 ohm output because it strains the transformer less. Is this true (in the 100w mode in this case)?

On that amp, "straining the transformer" isn't going to be a factor. If you can keep the overall impedance around 8 ohms, you'll be just fine. This would include a pair of 16 ohm speakers wired in parallel if you're going with a 2x12, or a 4x12 with four 8 ohm speakers wired normally (usually two pairs wired in serial and then the sum of those pairs wired in parallel), etc.

I've used Eminence Delta Pro 12A speakers (these: https://www.eminence.com/pdf/Delta_Pro_12A.pdf ), which are capable of handling up to 400W RMS each (up to 800W "Music Program" watts). They're 8 ohm speakers, so you could wire them in series and present a 16 ohm load to your amp. They're about $129 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Eminence-Professional-DELTA-PRO-12A-Speaker/dp/B0009HBHD8

In the right size cabinet, they're capable of reproducing down to 50Hz or so. You won't find them under "guitar" speakers, usually. They're originally designed to be Pro Audio, but like EV-L, they're outstanding for guitar.
Quote by dspellman
On that amp, "straining the transformer" isn't going to be a factor. If you can keep the overall impedance around 8 ohms, you'll be just fine. This would include a pair of 16 ohm speakers wired in parallel if you're going with a 2x12, or a 4x12 with four 8 ohm speakers wired normally (usually two pairs wired in serial and then the sum of those pairs wired in parallel), etc.

I've used Eminence Delta Pro 12A speakers (these: https://www.eminence.com/pdf/Delta_Pro_12A.pdf ), which are capable of handling up to 400W RMS each (up to 800W "Music Program" watts). They're 8 ohm speakers, so you could wire them in series and present a 16 ohm load to your amp. They're about $129 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Eminence-Professional-DELTA-PRO-12A-Speaker/dp/B0009HBHD8

In the right size cabinet, they're capable of reproducing down to 50Hz or so. You won't find them under "guitar" speakers, usually. They're originally designed to be Pro Audio, but like EV-L, they're outstanding for guitar.

Ops sorry for the late answer! Thanks for the input, much appreciated. That speaker looks brutal, but those connections confuse me since they look like rca connections or something? I decided to get a celestion redback however. Havent been able to try it yet but really looking forward to! Hoping it pairs well with the legend

Again, thanks everyone!