A friend of mine I jam with has a Burns Bison Bass, he's had it for around 2 years. Recently the G is sounding completely dead/muted (fretted or open) when playing plugged in to an amp. It sounds normal playing unplugged. Anyone have any idea what his problem could be?
Things he's tried: Truss Rod Adjustment, New Strings (even went up a gauge), saddle adjustment. He's had it looked at by the local shop and they said there's nothing wrong with the nut either and he too seems very confused as to why it's doing what it's doing. Thanks for any help/advice in advance!
Quote by Carmel
Lucky I'm a girl and I don't give a damn.

Quote by darkwolf291

I've seen her kill a man with a spork and a rubber band
No one is safe from the wrath of Batgirl!
Last edited by offthewall91 at Aug 3, 2017,
I just googled Burns Bass, as I'm not familiar with them. But I do see what looks like mini-humbucker pickups - aka those like Gibson SG or Hofner, and those tend to have a thumpy, muddy sound. So could be that.

Also what kind of strings - some can go from bright to dead in short order? How is he EQed up?
SovietStar tried that. :/

STEPSWORK4ME I want to say they checked that as well, I was thinking it may be an issue with the pickups. I'll tell him to double check that.

Captain Insano yeah you don't see very many of them. Lemmy played them along with Rick's. That's why he found and bought this one. It does have a different sound than any bass I've heard but it's literally like the G is muted all the time and the others aren't. And only when plugged up... It's so odd. Not sure about EQ but he uses Dean Markley blue steels. He went up from Med-Light to Medium and that didn't fix the issue either.
Quote by Carmel

Quote by darkwolf291

Last edited by offthewall91 at Aug 3, 2017,
offthewall91
So, does the string itself sustain and there is a loss of signal that makes it sound muted? If that's true then it has to be somewhere in the electronics... Maybe the amp?
Quote by STEPSWORK4ME
offthewall91
So,  does the string itself sustain and there is a loss of signal that makes it sound muted?  If that's true then it has to be somewhere in the electronics...  Maybe the amp?

The other strings do, the G does not.Just sounds muted all the time when plugged in.  I was actually starting to think it's an issue with the pickups,  I've racked my brain and looked over the bass myself and can't find anything that should make it do that. 
Quote by Carmel

Quote by darkwolf291

Quote by offthewall91
The other strings do, the G does not.Just sounds muted all the time when plugged in.  I was actually starting to think it's an issue with the pickups,  I've racked my brain and looked over the bass myself and can't find anything that should make it do that. 

You said that it's not muted acoustically, though? When it's unplugged, the string will sustain? I'm just trying to make sure that I understand the situation.
Quote by STEPSWORK4ME
You said that it's not muted acoustically, though? When it's unplugged, the string will sustain? I'm just trying to make sure that I understand the situation.

Yep. It will sustain acoustically.
Quote by Carmel

Quote by darkwolf291

Quote by offthewall91
Yep. It will sustain acoustically.

Then the only thing that makes any sense would be an electronic issue... Has it been played through multiple amps?
Quote by STEPSWORK4ME
Then the only thing that makes any sense would be an electronic issue...  Has it been played through multiple amps?

He typically plays through a guitar amp so it's not AS noticeable but it's extremely noticeable when he plays through a normal bass amp. 
Quote by Carmel

Quote by darkwolf291

It sounds like a bad pickup, but the Bison bass has three pickups, so the idea that all three pickups have a problem with that polepiece/string is a little hard to believe.  But it definitely sounds like an electrical problem, as opposed to a setup problem.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Take the string off and boil it, we used to do this with round wounds due to being very poor years ago, it brought the zing back for a while.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn