Hey everyone

I need some help in figuring out what amp I should get.

I'm just starting to play electric guitar. I'm not really sure exactly what genres I would like to play, but my musical preferences are jazz, rock and metal. I live in an apartment so I will play on a (very) low volume. I would like to have a plug and play type of amp with not too many fancy effects and so.
Not sure if it's of any importance, but the guitar I'm going to buy is the Schecter Stealth C-1, which I really liked when I tried it out and I've seen it for a really nice price (guess because it's discontinued). 

The amps I have been looking at are:
- Boss Katana 50W (SS) I like the idea you can switch to 25W and .5W
- Blackstar ID Core V2 - 20W or 40W (SS)
- Blackstar HT1R (tube)
- Line 6 spider IV 30W (if I can still find it anywhere for sale. The V version seems to have way to many effects / settings)
- Orange crush RT 20W

About the tube amp: there are really mixed views on a low watt version. Some say it's too loud and on low volume it doesn't do the trick. Others say it's perfect. This makes me doubt so hard.

I'm ok with playing with headphones, but I prefer not to do that, because I just like the idea of hearing the sound as true as possible (if it makes any sense)

Thanks for your time and I hope your input will get me to make a decision.
Last edited by aino333 at Aug 4, 2017,
Look at the Laney IRT-Studio. It can do what you want and is also a USB interface if you want to record or use different cabinet simulations (IRs).

Check it out.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
metalmingee +1 while i have not demoed one, they seem awesome and have a good feature set.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
My next amp is going to be the Laney Lionheart L5 studio, but your talking about a grand, plus a few pedals. If you can go that high on your budget it should be all you'll ever need for bedroom playing. If not the differences between $200 and $300 is pretty large to my ears. Find your max budget first. For me I'd rather have a used modeler then a new Katana 50 at the same price point. But that's just me other peoples opinions may differ. Try as many as you can in your price range.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Just so that you know, the HT1 isn't a tube amp - it's a hybrid.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Tony Done The Katana has been at the top of my list I went to try it out today and also the blackstar HT1R. Both sounded really nice. I enjoyed the sound of the blackstar a tiny bit more. The clean sound would go perfect in my apartment, but when using it in overdrive it was just too loud. I tested the Katana on the 0.5W and it sounded really good, so pretty sure I'm going to get that one. Thanks for your input!

metalmingee trashedlostfdup scott58 For the Laney IRT-Studio and the lionheart L5 studio I will need a speakers cabinet right? I checked them both out and the IRT Studio looks really nice, but since the Blackstar HT1R with 1W is already too loud in overdrive, I don't think they are an option. Thanks for the suggestions though!
the L5 studio can be used with headphones, but yeah you'll need a cab for the best tone. The laney also has a .5 watt setting and separate clean and drive volume controls. You getting a lot more amp which is why its so much more expensive.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
scott58 Oh .5W setting, that's interesting. I don't really have a budget set for the amp, but since I'm just starting out, I don't really want to do any crazy spending. I want to start simple, see how it works out and also see how I'll be doing in a year
I hear ya bud. Hope it works out for you. I've been enjoying this for about 12 years. Gear is an on going journey.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
aino333 The IRT has a Volume knob that works really well. Even <1 watt is really loud cranked.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Quote by Cathbard
Just so that you know, the HT1 isn't a tube amp - it's a hybrid.

just came in here to say that
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You might see if you can find a used Line 6 Amplifi. Yeah, that's how it's spelled. http://line6.com/amps/#amplifi

If you can find the 150, go with that over the 75 and ignore the 30 altogether.

These are probably the most versatile amp you'll find, capable of not only running your guitar, but also doing streaming wireless playback of iPads, iPhones, etc. In addition, you can run the amp remotely from your iPhone, and you can download custom setups from online sources. You can find them used (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Line-6/AMPLIFi-150-150W-Guitar-Combo-Amp-113430542.gc ).

In addition to a 12" LF driver in the 150, there are four more speakers (it's a stereo setup) that reproduce full-range sound. All solid state, no tubes.
dspellman The line 6 Amplifi looks very nice designwise. It looks like it has a lot of fancy settings options and effects and the mobile phone control thing, so that's a bit of downside for me. I would like something simple, plug and play, not to much tweaking and no mobile devices involved.. Maybe after some time when I'm ready for some more advanced stuff, this could be a great option!

metalmingee I read on forums that people say it's really suitable for apartments, so that would be a good thing. I will probably never really use the 15W option though (at least not in the first few years) and that would be a pity if I can't use it, (It's a pretty pricy thing then)
Last edited by aino333 at Aug 6, 2017,
aino333 the master volume works really we'll on that amp. The 1w and 15w will give you different feels and response.

It's a common mistake but watts do not linearly relate to volume.

1W fully cranked will get you evicted from any apartment I've ever been in.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Quote by aino333
dspellman The line 6 Amplifi looks very nice designwise. It looks like it has a lot of fancy settings options and effects and the mobile phone control thing, so that's a bit of downside for me. I would like something simple, plug and play, not to much tweaking and no mobile devices involved.. Maybe after some time when I'm ready for some more advanced stuff, this could be a great option! :

I think you mistake what an amp CAN do as opposed to what it NEEDS to do. "It looks like it has a lot of..." Mobile device not required, and you're not required to use a "lot of fancy settings options and effects." None of those things leap out at you in the middle of playing and require you to use them. But all of that is there if/when you want it.

How much DO you want to spend when it comes time for pedals. How much room do you want pedals to take up?
Last edited by dspellman at Aug 6, 2017,
If something simple and quiet is your thing I'd consider the Yamaha thr10 series, it's got a few modles depending on your play style, they sound nice at low volumes and with headphones.
they also include a nice variaty of built in effects, it might not seem appealing or necessary for you at the moment but you'll have a lot of fun using and discovering them with time.
Keep in mind it is a practice amp and while it's considered to be a good one it still is a practice amp.
I'm using a Vox Mini3 G2. Compact, inexpensive and with quite a few models and effects to play with. If you're just practicing in an apartment 3W is all you need really. I agree that having an amp with effects is a good thing even for a beginner, cause you'll be able to at least get an idea of what each effect does before you decide to invest more $$$ in pedals or whatnot. Same with the models. If you want you could of course just set the amp to your favourite model and just forget about everything else until you get the hang of things.

My friend has a Yamaha THR10 and it sounds pretty good, price is quite a bit higher though.
Dude47 Fusionpolis Thanks! I checked the Yamaha and it looks similar to the boss katana (controls, effects, models). I like that. And it's so much more compact than the katana! What would be better, a 12" speaker or smaller sizes and why?

Will have a look at the vox mini3 g2 as well!

I hope to make a decision this weekend! Thank you everyone for the input!!!
12" and 12" only.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I find the Fender Mustang I v.2 to be very versitile. It's a modeling amp with lots of presets. Nice clean and dirty settings to chose from or you can create and save your own. I personally like the Twin Surf and Brutal Metal presets. Happy hunting and stay sick!
1984 Yamaha SG1000X
2006 Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty 3
2011 Fender Mustang IV
2011 Gretsch G5120 Electromatic
2014 Fender Mustang I (V.2)
2016 Gibson Custom Shop Standard Historic 1957 Les Paul Goldtop Reissue VOS